Windows 10: Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10 How Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup for Desktop, Documents, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jimbo45, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10

How Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders in Windows 10

OneDrive is free online storage that comes with your Microsoft account. Save your files online to OneDrive and you will be able to view, browse, upload, and share them from any PC, tablet, or phone.

OneDrive is built into Windows 10, and you can find your OneDrive files through File Explorer

If you want an additional layer of protection from ransomware, try saving your files in OneDrive. Its part of the new experiences that arrived with the Windows 10 April 2018 Update.

When you save your files to OneDrive, you can get to them from anywhere and your files are safe in OneDrive if anything happens to your device. Now, you can set up protection for your important folders in Windows (your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders) when using either your personal OneDrive account, or your work or school account.

If a ransomware threat is found on a device, Windows Defender will notify you of the threat, help you remove the ransomware from your device, and give you options to recover your OneDrive files to the state they were in before the attack occurred. For Office 365 Home subscribers, Office 365 Personal subscribers, and OneDrive for Business users, that includes OneDrive Files Restore, which can be used to restore your OneDrive to a previous point in time within the last 30 days. The date and time that Windows Defender detected the attack will be pre-selected in Files Restore, making the process simple and easy to use.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off OneDrive PC folder backup for protection of your files in your Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folders in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    • Option Two: Turn Off OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders

EXAMPLE: OneDrive PC folder backup syncing Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    1 Click/tap on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2 Click/tap on the Backup tab in Microsoft OneDrive settings, and click/tap on the Manage backup button. (see screenshot below)

3 In the Back up your folders dialog box, select (check) the folders you want to backup to OneDrive, and click/tap on the Start backup button. (see screenshots below)

4 You can close the dialog box while your files sync to OneDrive. Or, to watch your files sync, click/tap on View sync progress. When the files finish syncing to OneDrive, they're protected and you can access them from anywhere in Desktop, Documents, or Pictures. When you backup your Desktop folder, the items on your desktop roam with you to your other PC desktops where you're running OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

5 When finished, click/tap on OK in Microsoft OneDrive settings. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn Off OneDrive PC Folder Protection for Desktop, Documents, and Pictures Folders
    When you stop folder backup for a folder, the files you were backing up remain in OneDrive and no longer appear in the folder. You will see a Where are my files shortcut in the folder to take you to its OneDrive folder location. If you no longer want these files in OneDrive, you'll need to move them to a local folder on your PC yourself. Any new files you add to the folder on your PC will no longer be backed up (synced) to OneDrive.

1 Click/tap on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

2 Click/tap on the Backup tab in Microsoft OneDrive settings, and click/tap on the Manage backup button. (see screenshot below)

3 In the Manage folder backup dialog box, click/tap on the Stop backup link of a folder you want to stop syncing to OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on Stop backup to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

6 Repeat steps 3 to 5 if you want to stop folder backup to OneDrive for any other folder.

7 When finished, close the Manage folder backup dialog box. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on OK in Microsoft OneDrive settings. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2016
  2. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Anyone know how to remove "OneDrive - For Business" from the Explorer navigation panel? I've tried just about every registry modification, and windows policy for "Onedrive" but they only seem to work for the consumer product, not for onedrive for business.

The onedrive product alone is so damn annoying and continues to load itself upon startup, even when it's explicitly remove from startup. It continues to automatically load and unload itself from within the startup folder... while I'm actively watching it load itself into the startup folder.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

[/quote] Click to expand... Sorry, but I think you're confused and keep referring to Onedrive. There is a big difference between the consumer version of Onedrive business O365 version. I do not have the consumer version of Onedrive installed... it is Onedrive for Business. Also, this script is for "Onedrive" .... not Onedrive for Business. Thanks anyway.

OneDrive (for Business) built-in Windows 10 differences?

No thanks for providing a non-rant version. I ought to recruit about 20 million people and walk down to Microsoft headquarters and do them in. Tired of Microsoft forcing their childish development skills on the masses.

Freezer, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off OneDrive PC Folder Backup Protection in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off OneDrive

2. Unable to turn off OneDrive documents folder backup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn off OneDrive documents folder backup.: I am trying to get rid of Onedrive but it seems mission imposible. Everytime I log in in my pc I am the only user I see the onedrive folder appearing in C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive no matter how many times I delete it. I've also clicked the gear icon>Settings>Back Up tab and...
  3. Unable to turn off OneDrive documents folder backup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn off OneDrive documents folder backup.: I am trying to get rid of Onedrive but it seems mission imposible. Everytime I log in in my pc I am the only user I see the onedrive folder appearing in C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive no matter how many times I delete it. I've also clicked the gear icon>Settings>Back Up tab and...
  4. How to backup and protect data before turning off Bitlocker for good

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup and protect data before turning off Bitlocker for good: A new PC arrived with Bitlocker turned on. This was unexpected and wanted. Now we have to remove Bitlocker from Drive C SDD which has been fully encrypted and locked, and from the data drive D HDD which was fitted later and has now been encrypted and left unlocked. How do I...
  5. How to backup and protect data before turning off Bitlocker for good

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to backup and protect data before turning off Bitlocker for good: A new PC arrived with Bitlocker turned on. This was unexpected and wanted. Now we have to remove Bitlocker from Drive C SDD which has been fully encrypted and locked, and from the data drive D HDD which was fitted later and has now been encrypted and left unlocked. How do I...
  6. How to backup and protect data before turning off Bitlocker for good

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Turn off Backup Feature of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off Backup Feature of OneDrive: According to this support entry, I should see a "stop backup" option under the items OneDrive is trying to backup. I do not. Instead I see an error because ultimately what its trying to backup is too large. How can I get OneDrive to stop trying to do so, while still retaining...
  8. Missing files after turning off OneDrive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing files after turning off OneDrive backup: When I turned off backup in OneDrive, most files went missing. I've tried to disable "Files On-Demand" thinking it would fix the problem, but it hasn't. There are even other people that need help with this problem, and I'm trying to give them a solution, too. Please help...
  9. Temporarily turn off protection.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Temporarily turn off protection.: Hello. I've been trying to run an executable but receive a message stating that Windows has prevented the .exe because it's unknown. Is there a way to temporarily allow this .exe to run? The message comes within a blue square.[ATTACH]...
  10. Turn On or Off Schedule for Windows Backup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Schedule for Windows Backup in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Schedule for Windows Backup in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Backup Schedule in Windows 10 [img] Information The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) feature (aka: Windows Backup) was originally included in Windows 7. It was deprecated in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot