Windows 10: Latest on SSD settings on Win-10

Discus and support Latest on SSD settings on Win-10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Went through several posts and some external links on what to do for SSD drives under Windows-10 and it seems so confusing. What is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017.

1. nkaufman Win User

Latest on SSD settings on Win-10

Hello,

Went through several posts and some external links on what to do for SSD drives under Windows-10 and it seems so confusing.

What is the latest thought on this matter?

Which services etc (if at all that is the case) need to be disabled?
    Optimize - Should I enable this or disable? I normally do not use System Restore and that makes some difference on whether this works automatically every month.

Some think that Optimize does do a normal defrag every month (or at least that is what I got but could be mistaken as I was getting a bad headache going over this stuff *Tongue*Tongue).

Have a unit with just one PCIe NVME and will be adding a spinner soon.

So, should I wait to add the spinner before running - winsat formal - to allow windows to set itself up properly?

Thanks for your assistance.

:)

nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017
  2. AaronIRL Win User

HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10

I to have the same problem.

Win 10

Asus z170-a

SSD - Samsung evo 850 for OS

HDD 2x WD Blue 1tb for Games, storage etc.

Latest drivers.

HDD's set to power down after 15 to no effect.

AaronIRL, Feb 4, 2017
  3. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

This failed installation was on a cloned ssd with win 8.1 Pro. I used the Samsung Migration software to copy my 8.1 installation on another ssd in my computer. I have 4 ssd physical drives. Only my latest one a Samsung 850 EVO has had this failure issue
    with win 10. The other drives had successful installations of win 10 Pro. But I believe at least one other drive was cloned also. So I really can't be sure the cloning is the issue.

Ira Wechsler, Feb 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I didn't do anything. I just installed Windows 10 and let it go.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2017
  5. essenbe Win User
    As @NavyLCDR said, just install Windows and everything will work just fine. Most of the Optimization info you read are for the early generations of SSDs and operating systems. They were needed then. The newer SSDs and Windows 10 don't need much, if anything. Optimization is good for the SSD in Windows 10. The OS recognizes it and knows what to do.

essenbe, Feb 4, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    Windows 10 handles SSDs pretty well, so as above, just install and go.

swarfega, Feb 4, 2017
  7. nkaufman Win User
    Things really have changed then.

But the following thread (just over 6 months back), talks about winsat formal etc
    Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD?

So no disable index, prefetch/superfetch etc?

Based on Scott's blog, it seems that one needs to enable System Restore on a unit for windows to Defrag SSD. It seems that windows does defrag SSD once a month but only when system restore is enabled.

So, am still conflicted about letting windows handle all settings on its own. It has been proven in the past not to be completely reliable and trustworthy (both MS and Windows) and hence all the articles that exist about optimizing the OS.

Thanks,

nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017
  8. nkaufman Win User

A request to all who have Windows default set up for SSD.

Per another website, Could you please post your findings on:
    Filter the application log event 258 from defrag

OR

or execute PowerShell command:"Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Source "microsoft-windows-defrag" | sort timegenerated -desc | fl timegenerated, message"

This will most likely provide details on whether windows has been defragging your SSD on the sly or if it was just optimizing with Trim.

My windows install is just too new to get any information on the above. Needs a unit that has had windows-10 running for at least a month.

nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017
  9. My SSD has been installed since last August. Here is what is returned using your script:

Get-EventLog : No matches found
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Source "microsoft-windows-defrag" ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (*Smile [Get-EventLog], ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetEventLogNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetEventLogCommand

However I have Optimization turned "off" for the C: drive and use "Samsung Magician" to provide Trim operations for the SSD.

storageman, Feb 4, 2017
  10. nkaufman Win User
    Thank you for the above.

But since you've disabled Optimize for C drive which i assume is your SSD, then you're not really using Default Windows settings.

nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017
  11. For me my C-drive (SSD) can't be defragmented/optimized on latest build by default. So no, Windows does not defrag SSDs, by default.

slicendice, Feb 4, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You do know that SSDs are not required to be defragged and it only shortens their life? SSDs are not affected by fragmentation AT ALL. Fragmentation is an issue with HDDs because of making the read/write head having to seek and move to different locations on the disk to put the file together. SSDs don't have read/write heads and no moving parts.

Defragging an SSD is not only unnecessary, but it is WRONG! SSDs have a limited number of write cycles for each storage location and defragging only causes unnecessary write cycles and also increases the number of trim cycles required to clean up the bits of files moved from storage locations. Defragging an SSD, therefore decreases an SSDs performance and shortens its life.

NavyLCDR, Feb 4, 2017
  13. Rocky Win User

Rocky, Feb 4, 2017
  14. nkaufman Win User
    Perhaps some confusion so please bear with me.

(1) Need a Windows-10 unit running for more than a month AND
    (2)One in which the Disk Optimizer has been enabled for SSD (per MS this behaves differently for SSD and Spinners) AND
    (3)System Restore is enabled

Goal with the Powershell script is to see if MS defrags SSD even though it is supposed to just Optimize.

@NavyLCDR, @Rocky - Yes, aware of defrag of SSD, using the term loosely. Win-10 has Optimize that is supposed to Trim SSD and Defrag Spinner.

nkaufman, Feb 4, 2017
  15. DavidY Win User
    That's not what the Microsoft WIndows Storage team say (at least not reputedly in 2014).
    From here:
    The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman
    The point being (I think) that the tables in the file system are affected by fragmentation, even if the actual files aren't.

DavidY, Feb 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Latest on SSD settings on Win-10 - Similar Threads - Latest SSD settings

2. latest ver win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    latest ver win 10: if i download window 10 today , will all the updates be included in that version ? or i ll ve to download again by running updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/latest-ver-win-10/54c515cf-4f27-4b95-b840-56c411df63e1
  3. latest ver win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    latest ver win 10: if i download window 10 today , will all the updates be included in that version ? or i ll ve to download again by running updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/latest-ver-win-10/54c515cf-4f27-4b95-b840-56c411df63e1
  4. Latest Win 10 Update & Restart ** Always Resets Win 10 original settings

Latest Win 10 Update & Restart ** Always Resets Win 10 original settings: The latest "Update & Restart" dialog Oct 2020 on my Win 10 Laptop reset Win 10 back to initial settings, Edge as default browser, all original settings from the original install. Most of the software appears uninstalled or unresponsive, Solitaire suite, most apps show just a...
  5. Latest Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Win 10: Compared with theWin 10 on my domestic computer, this one is areally fussy beggar. If any attempt is made toCustomise folder colours [even if they can be], Windowsgoes off into a sulk - User screen, little swirly cursor, "Please Wait". Sometimes the Wait Time is too great and...
  6. Latest Win 10 update.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Latest Win 10 update.: I downloaded the latest update about 2 weeks ago. When I went to transfer photo from my camera to computer I found that I was unable to. I got a response saying that I needed to download an app from the store. When I tried the store I was unable to access that as well. Has...
  7. Latest Win 10 Update

Latest Win 10 Update: Today my laptop did an auto win 10 update. When finished it turned off. Tried to restart but got error message saying there is an issue and rebooted again. Went thru this several times and did a repair twice but this did not work. Finally I had to do a reset. Another...
  8. Latest Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Latest Win 10 update: Update was downloaded and when I tried to boot after restart it loads some things (network adapter) that i can see but hangs up after Win trademark and loads no more . I am not tech astute but have tried to boot in safe mode but can't do that. I can load HP diagnostics but...
  9. Latest Win 10 Updates !!!

Latest Win 10 Updates !!!: Anyone had fun today with 10 updates? They went into my pc this morning and since then its taken me an hour and a half to get to the point where I can type this. The pc booted up, no image. Had to reset to default Samsung flat screen to get it to come 'alive'. Then the...
  10. Latest Win 10 Update

Latest Win 10 Update: [img] My PC now updated .. that took a long time, but here in Darkest Africa. I only have an "up to 4 Mbps" ADSL connection. I also see that this is my 100th post on TenForums *Smile This is a great forum, and the willingness of everybody to help less knowledgeable...