Windows 10: Latest update appears to have reset all user options

Discus and support Latest update appears to have reset all user options in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Two days ago I allowed my Dell XPS 15 (older model; upgraded from Win 7 last summer) to get the latest Win 10 update. I then allowed Dell to install an... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by GeorgeHudetz, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Latest update appears to have reset all user options

Two days ago I allowed my Dell XPS 15 (older model; upgraded from Win 7 last summer) to get the latest Win 10 update. I then allowed Dell to install an update as well.

After getting through all the updates & reboots, it almost looked like I had a freshly wiped drive:

- Desktop image was reset
    - Task bar was reset
    - All desktop shortcuts gone
    - Google chrome has lost all passwords & login info
    - Applications lost all configuration information, and thought they had been just installed.

Further, all library locations had been set to users/temp, making it look like all my images/music etc. was gone (fortunately that's not the case - the orginal \users\username\Pictures etc. folders are still there).

I did some searching on the web and on this site, and didn't find anything.

Has anybody seen such a thing? Its' quite odd. I think if I reset Documents back to it's proper location (instead of \Users\Temp\Documents, which is empty) most of my apps will work properly again. But I'm not sure how to do that.

If this has already been discussed apologies, but some hints what to search on would be appreciated.

:)

GeorgeHudetz, Mar 22, 2017
  2. CarlHB Win User

Latest Windows 10 update appears to have corrupted my computer.

I ended up doing a forced shutdown with the power button and restarting. After the really loud/long beep again the system went into fix it mode. I was given the option to reverted to 7 and I took it. This fixed everything but the keyboard. I ended
    up replacing the laptop's keyboard (surprisingly only $26 on Amazon and easier than I expected thanks to a YouTube video) and now all is well back with Windows 7. To be fair, it might have been an unfortunate coincidence that my keyboard fried right at my
    first Windows 10 update, but I'm not willing to take the chance again right now. Maybe I'll stick with 7 until I get an new computer sometime in the next year or two. Nice to have all my games working again as well.

CarlHB, Mar 22, 2017
  3. Latest Windows 10 update appears to have corrupted my computer.

Hi, Carl.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

I suggest that you try the steps below and check if issue persist:

Method 1:

• While at the black/blue screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab of the Task manager and ending the task.
    If this resolves your issue, then follow the steps below to repair the corrupted resolution.

Step1: DISM

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Step 2: SFC scan

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Method 2:

If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the you choose):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add

This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific

Method 3:

• restart your pc while holding down shift (a screen where you can see different boot options and recovery stuff)
    • next you click on solve problems.
    • next, Reset this computer
    • choose to custom install.
    Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Regards

Vanessa

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 22, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Latest update appears to have reset all user options

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

I'm wondering if you might have been signed in with a temporary profile. Usually if you sign out and then back in again it will sort itself out but if you start making changes it can complicate things.

Look at the following tutorial and see if it helps you work out if you were signed in with a temporary profile. The event log should show the error with ID 1511

Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10

philc43, Mar 22, 2017
  5. I have not seen any reports of any resets to settings on the interweb. Probably why you couldn't find anything. You may need to look into that Dell update (I don't have Dell) so I can't presume anything, it maybe responsible for you settings changes.

storageman, Mar 22, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Given what @GeorgeHudetz said above, that is almost certain to be what has happened.

7. Thanks folks, that did it. Sadly, I didn't quite follow the directions correctly, and deleted the .bak file. Took a chance, edited the normal file, did a reboot, and the system went through another configuration, and now it wants to point my library folders to a folder that a combination of my user name and the machine name. So, at least it's not pointing to Temp. I'll look into it a bit more. Maybe one more regedit will fix it. Or, perhaps I'll just move my files to the new folders.

Thanks again!

GeorgeHudetz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Latest update appears to have reset all user options

1. Latest update appears to have reset all user options - Similar Threads - Latest update appears

2. The latest Win10 Updates appear to have affected my other browsers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The latest Win10 Updates appear to have affected my other browsers.: The latest Win10 Updates appear to have affected my other browsers. I can't imagine that I'm the only one. MS please fix this ASAP!!! or post how to roll back the update that caused it!!...
  3. Does option to keep user files for Windows 10 Reset keep data for all users if there are...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does option to keep user files for Windows 10 Reset keep data for all users if there are...: We need to reset a laptop with multiple users Domain Users . Does the "Reset and keep all user data" option save the data for all users, including the domain users, or just the primary local user on the laptop?...
  4. Does option to keep user files for Windows 10 Reset keep data for all users if there are...

Does option to keep user files for Windows 10 Reset keep data for all users if there are...: We need to reset a laptop with multiple users Domain Users . Does the "Reset and keep all user data" option save the data for all users, including the domain users, or just the primary local user on the laptop?...
  5. Latest Update Slows Desktop Appearance

Latest Update Slows Desktop Appearance: Hi, Ran the latest update to version 2004 last night current version: 9.8.31681.0 and restarted. Login screen shows up fine, but when I log in, the spinning cursor on "Welcome" is suspiciously slow - then a black screen with a mouse cursor. I've tried Ctrl-Alt-Del and...
  6. 0x800F081F appears with latest update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    0x800F081F appears with latest update.: 0x800F081F appears with one latest latest update. I tried to reinstall latest .NET policy&version.... Nothing works. The issue is with KB4535996. On Win10 1909... Help appreciated. submitted by /u/Mirda76de [link] [comments]...
  7. After the latest update I can't find the "Extract All" option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After the latest update I can't find the "Extract All" option: Is it called something else now? Moved from: (Office | Unknown/other | Windows 10 | Office 365 Home) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-the-latest-update-i-cant-find-the-extract/8ba58ebb-cd2a-4582-a7a8-d302009c4570"
  8. All ADS user have no shutdown and restart option

in Windows 10 Customization
    All ADS user have no shutdown and restart option: All ADS user have no shutdown and restart option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-ads-user-have-no-shutdown-and-restart-option/51e3796a-c6f8-42a1-9c09-e8c0843a4102
  9. Latest update appears to have killed Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Latest update appears to have killed Office 2016: I have Win10 and Office to update automatically. Since the latest, I cannot run Word or Excel. I get an error message saying "Something has gone wrong" and to retry. If that doesn't work to try repairing from Control Panel. Attempting this, gives me another error message,...
  10. Shortcuts appearing on all users desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts appearing on all users desktops: Hello all, I've just bought a new computer with Win 10 installed of course *Smile I have the main user account as admin and I've set up two other user accounts for my kids, without admin. Whenever I install a new application a shortcut for that application gets...