Windows 10: Latest update forces me to buy a new laptop/ATI drivers

Discus and support Latest update forces me to buy a new laptop/ATI drivers in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, I've got an Acer laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 that was state of the art back in 2010 and I can still play games like Diablo 3 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by diadara, Sep 9, 2016.

1. diadara Win User

Latest update forces me to buy a new laptop/ATI drivers

Hi,

I've got an Acer laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 that was state of the art back in 2010 and I can still play games like Diablo 3 and Sims 4 on it. Now I use it as a media center and it's been parked right by my TV for the last couple of years. When Windows 10 first came I noticed that there was no longer any support for Catalyst Control Center as the OS stated that all the controls I needed was in the OS. That turned out to be wrong. My TV screen changes color every now and then, from normal to pink, and I need the control center to switch from RGB to YYC. Also, I have black edges around my TV screen that I use the control center to adjust perfectly.. Using the scaling option in Windows is useless, it only scales the edges along with everything else. I found a way to trick Windows and managed to install the control center anyway and we lived happily ever after. Or so I thought. Yesterday there was this huge update and it wiped my control center away, and now it's impossible to get back. Did Microsoft find out about the cheat?

So I'm in a tough situation here. My graphics card is out of date I guess, but my laptop is so damn nice I refuse to buy a new one just because Microsoft refuses to accept legacy drivers. I've tried several different HDMI cables and I've tried this with two different TV sets and gotten the same results. Is it really that much of a deal to write a few lines of code to those who are still using the old machines?

If anyone out there is sitting on a solution for my problem, please help - I'm desperate!

:)

diadara, Sep 9, 2016

2. Caution ATI/AMD Radeon 3000 Windows 10 Upgraders

sorry folks. you need to purchase a new graphics card as AMD is unwilling to make any Windows 10 certified drivers for the ATI/AMD Radeon 3000 graphics (whether desktop or laptop/mobile).

I too have an ASUS M5A78L-M LE/USB3 board with onboard ATI 3000 graphics and the latest driver version I can use there on Win10 is v8.970.100.9001 dated 1/13/2015 (a Windows Update based driver).

Check out this Computerhope forum topic "Windows 10 Discontinued Driver AMD ATI RADEON 3000" and see if you guys want to buy a new video card or not to replace the onboard ATI 3000 graphics hardware:

Windows 10 Discontinued Driver AMD ATI RADEON 3000

For me, I am considering installing a higher graphics card; anything better than the Radeon 3000.

erpmanila3w, Sep 9, 2016
  3. Windows Update removed ATI Radeon 4200 driver

Windows 10 updated and removed the driver for my ATI Radeon 4200 graphics card. Suddenly (in the middle of use) the displays reset to 800x600, single monitor and cannot be changed. The driver shows as current, but is a Windows basic driver. I have been using
    Win10 successfully for over a year with no display issues. How can I fix this? I am not interested in buying a new graphics card or PC because Microsoft is forcing me to...

Moved from: Windows / Windows 7 / Devices & drivers

LadyHawke6, Sep 9, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

What drivers are you using? I have an even older laptop (2007) with Radeon X1600 and it works OK on the latest update.

I downloaded the Winows 7 drivers as described here

I guess in your case you'd want this link (in internet explorer only) http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...=radeon%204650

The 64 bit drivers are the bigger ones (32 bit have the same name but are smaller) and the Windows 7 ones work well for me.

I did install the control center but uninstalled it as it didn't seem to do anything and I didn't really trust the source (I could only find it on a torrent).

lx07, Sep 9, 2016
  5. diadara Win User
    Hi and thanks for your reply!

I solved it!

I was using 13-9-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql as always, then I tried 13-4 and lo and behold, it worked!

I'll provide the link to the tutorial how to install the CCC for those with the same problem. The link to the legacy driver is included in the tutorial.
    Good luck!

How to: Install Legacy Drivers on Windows 10 (W... | Community

diadara, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Latest update forces me to buy a new laptop/ATI drivers - Similar Threads - Latest update forces

2. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.: I purchased microsoft office pro and keep getting popups from microsoft trying to force me to buy 365. what has to be done to stop it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-trying-to-force-me-to-buy-365/9dcaaef3-ca70-482c-bbfb-a6bf7003c2bb
  3. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.: I purchased microsoft office pro and keep getting popups from microsoft trying to force me to buy 365. what has to be done to stop it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-trying-to-force-me-to-buy-365/9dcaaef3-ca70-482c-bbfb-a6bf7003c2bb
  4. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers: Can you tell me why a computer 2 years old won't run Win11? Is this typical Microsoft...force users to buy new computers when they can't afford to?...
  6. Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers: Can you tell me why a computer 2 years old won't run Win11? Is this typical Microsoft...force users to buy new computers when they can't afford to?...
  7. ATI RAdeon drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ATI RAdeon drivers: Dell Studio. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. When I installed 2004...resolution was terrible, and this driver was no longer available. No updated drivers on their website as they have discontinued support for this driver. Apparently I will have to buy a new computer when...
  8. Buying a new laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying a new laptop: I know Ten Forums is for software & hardware help, but I am hoping I can get some advice on buying a new laptop. Which would be the better buy between the Lenovo IdeaPad S340 & the Lenovo IdeaPad 3? I've read about both & each have their own pros & cons, but a lot of the...
  9. ATI Radeon HD lost driver in update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ATI Radeon HD lost driver in update: ATI Radeon HD lost 1920 screen res on last Win 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ati-radeon-hd-lost-driver-in-update/1efbea73-9119-4e05-b1eb-456df2726dc3
  10. buying a new laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    buying a new laptop: Hi Guys My son needs a new laptop as his HP with Vista has packed up, and as you know, the vast choice on offer can be bewildering. If I describe his minimum needs, maybe you can advise. cd-rom drive 1 or 2 usb ports long battery life cheapest price as he is...