Windows 10: Latest W10 update or hardware failure?

Discus and support Latest W10 update or hardware failure? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After the latest cumulative update, my data drive E: (WDC 2TB) would not allow access to some of its folders. Seems I no longer had permission, access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by meebers, Feb 10, 2016.

1. meebers Win User

Latest W10 update or hardware failure?

After the latest cumulative update, my data drive E: (WDC 2TB) would not allow access to some of its folders. Seems I no longer had permission, access was denied. Added "take ownership" to the context menu, pointed to the folders and was able to now open them. Did a reboot to recheck, now windows does not recognize the 2TB drive. Disk management says it is now RAW rather than NTFS??

System error log shows, "A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume E:", and detailed description "A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference number is 0x100000000001d. The name of the file is "\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog". The corrupted index attribute is ":$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION".

Reformatted/checkdisk the drive and it acted normal. This morning when I turned it on, W10 said my 2TB drive needed repair, repair returned it to operation. Reboot did the same thing. WDC utilities say the drive "passed"

So? does this sound like a W10 update problem or hardware problem. HDD is about 3 weeks old. Never had that problem until the latest update. Coincidence or?? Opinions appreciated.

:)

meebers, Feb 10, 2016
  2. BarryLS Win User

Latest W10 update, no monitor, mouse or keyboard

Hi Firefly,

Thanks for the reply. I've also lost both DVI and VGA monitor signal output. No USBs are operable, the 4 2.0s in the rear nor the 2 3.0s in the front. I have performed a very thorough inspection of the capacitors on the motherboard and the motherboard
    itself for any obvious signs of a failure and none show any signs of swelling or doming.

I find it quite curious that the timing of hardware failures would coincide with a seemingly harmless OS update. The fact I was barely able to regain access after the first event, but not the second leads me to believe that this is not coincidental.

The IT folks where I work also find this implausible based on the problems I'm experiencing.

I could possibly see one set of USB ports going down from a hardware failure, but not all 6, 2 of which are on a separate circuit to include losing the display outputs as well.

Troubleshooting to date includes:

Attempted safe mode boot numerous times, total failure, unable to access BIOS or any other function

Swapped monitors between DVI and VGA, total failure, no input signal

Attempted reboots with and without peripherals installed, total failure

CMOS reset, power disconnected, battery removed and start button depressed to discharge capacitors, total failure

Boot of machine with Hard Drive disconnected, total failure

Inspect motherboard for any signs of component failure, zero results

Regards,

Barry

BarryLS, Feb 10, 2016
  3. BarryLS Win User
    Latest W10 update, no monitor, mouse or keyboard

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, the update pushed by MS caused me to lose what I initially thought was just my monitor. I had to perform a few hard reboots to get a signal and restored my machine to a previous restore point. I moved anything I could think of over
    to my external HD and kept the computer on sleep mode during the intervening time. Last week, MS pushed the update again and I was unable to stop or simply reschedule it.

Since then, I have not been able to get any signal to my monitor, "No input signal" is what is displayed and monitor goes right to sleep. I've also discovered that the mouse and keyboard are not being powered up either.

NOTE: NO monitor display, NO mouse and NO keyboard available.

I have switched out monitors and also plugged them in between DVI and VGA. I did a CMOS reset by pulling the battery, I have tried to start the machine in "safe mode" along with attempting the hard reboots. I have used multiple USB ports for the mouse
    and keyboard. All to no avail.

Since I can't see anything or make any inputs with mouse or keyboard, I need to find out how to get the machine to boot off a USB or CD with a clean install of W10.

Or MOST preferably, MS push a FIX for this update which obviously BRICKED my monitor, mouse and keyboard drivers!

I have searched the www tirelessly, but I have not come across this particular problem. They're all variations on the theme.

If you can't tell, I'm beyond extremely frustrated by this. A 2 year old computer that had ZERO problems until now.

Thanks in advance for any insight or assistance.

Barry

HP Pavilion p7-1414 with Gateway monitor and Logitech mouse

BarryLS, Feb 10, 2016
  4. Latest W10 update or hardware failure?

2GigaByte or 2TeraByte? You may made a typo as far as the size of the drive which sounds like a flash drive at 2gb not a hard drive at 2tb!

The first question will be are you set to start receiving Insider builds in the Advanced option of the Start>Settings>Security&Update section by chance? Even when an update sees a bad install it generally won't effect the partition table on any drive ruling the Cumulative for whichever build of 10 you have out there. Being a new drive only three weeks and seeing problems would tend to suggest you may have to return it under manufacturer's/dealer type warranties for an exchange or refund since it could well have a defect! If this on an SSD or mechanical drive?

Night Hawk, Feb 10, 2016
  5. meebers Win User
    Tx, fixed the typo. It is a WDC 2TB, HDD Green. As part of WDC LifeGuard Utilities, I ran the Extended disk check. almost 5 hrs and found no errors.

Let me explain my setup, I don't think it makes a difference but? I have a single desktop, a hot swap interface where I run a SSD with an up-to-date W10 RTM version and another SSD W10 up-to-date Insider version. Only one of the SSD's are connected at a time. Both share the same E: Data Disk . *Smile*Smile Previous to the 2TB drive, I used a 160GB drive as the data drive to store Macrium images from time to time of the current W10 distribution. Yes the one insider SSD is on the fast ring.

When the 2TB disk became no longer visible to W10, I had about 400GB of data that was lost. Hesitating as to rebuild it or not.

Plan: #1 Swap the original 160 GB drive in for a couple of days and see what happens. #2 Install the 2TB drive into my W7 machine and see what happens. #3 Open up a support ticked with WDC and see what happens. I think this might be an up hill battle with them since the WDC utilities are telling me that the drive is Ok.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Tx.

meebers, Feb 10, 2016
  6. Have you tried going into the Disk Management tool to see if you could initialize the drive in there at all? Often with any OS change or new drive being added in that will be where it will be seen while nowhere else until you right click on the volume to use the Change drive letter option or go upto the menu option and select the rescan option. The rescan is used when nothing is seen for a drive just added on.

The LifeGuard tools are generally quite accurate being one thing I have found when using them at times over the years. In fact the one and only Green drive I still have in use here is the 1tb back up drive kept in an external usb enclosure on the second build used for test purposes mostly. That enclosure had also seen a WD Black edition Sata 3 drive thought to be going DOA on me working fine suddenly as I was going to mention earlier but will indicate now as a drive thought to be bad seems to be working out just fine in a new fan cooled usb/eSata enclosure that I so far have been seeing immediate access to compared to how it would be a task to open up to view or download to while still internal! The same identical twin drive however previous the primary backup storage drive while that had been the secondary now runs 7 on the test build having been split to see a second backup partition and added in as a second OS and backup drive onto the other mini case there. That only allows for two HDs being compact and having a carrying handle for portable use like Lan parties,etc. NZXT "Vulcan" micro atx case

On a prior Vista build that was first to see the Windows 7 beta and RC builds by then having said good bye to Vista for both the 32bit and 64bit builds at the time I had pulled a 500gb WD out of the factory usb enclosure that lacked any sufficient air ducts and a commonly seen problem at the time when self contained external drives were just coming out was added in on the old build as the 3rd for storage. Never had a problem while the present build was planned out to see performance model drives not Raptors however put to use and except the one Sata 3 having an unknown problem and tested by the LifeGuard tools found to be good.

I never seem to have WD drives fail on me and that one was still good and still in use. Yet I have had a few instances where a drive didn't show up right away where I automatically had to go into the Disk Management tool in order to get things sorted out. Mostly for any clean install of the OS that was to simply see the desired drive letters put into effect since there wasn't any detection problem seen. As I can recall only one instance in the 7 beta and previously on XP more times there but still corrected in the Control Panel.

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Latest W10 update or hardware failure?

1. Latest W10 update or hardware failure? - Similar Threads - Latest W10 update

2. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  3. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  4. Latest-W10-update-havoc-keyoard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest-W10-update-havoc-keyoard: laptop-Dell-i7577-spacear-&-other-keys-kaput Uistalled-device-checked-for-drivers. Rolled-ack-update-caused-startup-loop-had-to-reinstall-widows. Reistalled-W10-still-prolem-persists-sometimes-if-I-spam-keys-they-start-workig. Keyoard-was-good-def-update-related Thaks-:)...
  5. Hardware Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware Failure: The last couple of days been having PC problems. In the mornings when watching a video the PC would freeze and a buzzing sounding. Then the PC would restart, no BSOD just restarted. This morning, turned on the monitor and was greeted with a "no signal' message on the scree....
  6. Latest Update W10 Storage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Update W10 Storage: For days now, I've been trying to purge 1.67 GB of Windows Update Cleanup files that keep showing up in my Temporay Files when I go to remove them. The system acts like it's going to purge them, but goes back to the Remove Files box and the 1.67 GB are still there. Is there...
  7. Failure to install all W10 updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure to install all W10 updates.: My laptop was upgraded to W10 from W7. Now, further updates for W10 do not work. The system will spend all day downloading the file then trying to install it, then fail, and spend the rest of the day undoing the changes it has made to the system. I want to stop it trying to...
  8. W10 update on tablet failure

W10 update on tablet failure: I have a small tablet which came with W10 pre-installed, and I have updated to the latest versions of W10 as they became available. The latest update in Nov 2018 has left me with a useless tablet and no way of access anything:- The update as such appeared to go OK, but at...
  9. W10 activation after hardware failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 activation after hardware failure: I lost my motherboard on my laptop the other day and I moved my SSD to another shell. Now, I can't activate windows and I have followed all of the troubleshooting advice. Any ideas on how I can reactivate W10 digital licence on this laptop?...
  10. W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version

W10 1024 - failure to update to latest version: Hi, I have tried everything I can think of. After spending ALL day trying again to use every means possible I still cannot update from 1024 version. Here is a copy of todays DISM attempt. Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS...