Windows 10: Learning Powershell, for an old DOS BAT-file guy

Discus and support Learning Powershell, for an old DOS BAT-file guy in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I go back to the days of DOS 6.2, and I've done a lot of BAT files since .*Nerd But I keep reading about Powershell. I've looked at some MS webpages... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Jul 4, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

Learning Powershell, for an old DOS BAT-file guy

So I go back to the days of DOS 6.2, and I've done a lot of BAT files since .*Nerd But I keep reading about Powershell. I've looked at some MS webpages for learning Powershell, and the learning curve seems pretty steep.*Sick

Can anyone suggest a way to get started easily, or maybe suggest a link for existing scripts so I could learn by doing, etc.

For what it's worth, I don't current know C or Java or any scripting languages like perl or python. But this old dog can always learn a new trick or two over time. *Wink

If this post belongs in another forum, please tell me that.

:)

x509, Jul 4, 2016
  2. ccurts Win User

Email Help for an OLD guy

Any application that creates an "image" of your computer will save EVERYTHING on your computer, including the operating system and its configuration, all applications that are installed, etc. Norton Ghost is one example. Carbonite.com, the online backup
    business, offers a "mirror" service, which backs up an image of your computer.

Theare are two drawback:

1. The image is "dated." Restoring your software to a saved image puts EVERYTHING back to that last date, including your personal data files.

2. Creating an image can take a LONG time, depending on how many Gb are saved on your computer.

FYI...I created the following images:

--after installation (i.e. factory settings)

--after installation and creation of usernames (that have not been used yet to login).

--after installation of my basic, mandatory applications

By that time, I could not save anything on DVDs because it got to large.

I have too much on my computer to use imaging anymore.

ccurts, Jul 4, 2016
  3. Steve6543 Win User
    Email Help for an OLD guy

Email running perfect even when linked - I am so happy .....

Now for the little red x (I re-installed i.e. 10)

I've got battery drain down perfect and cell data is perfect to 50 out of 300 in a month - wish they had roll over...

Thanks to all....

Steve6543, Jul 4, 2016
  4. Learning Powershell, for an old DOS BAT-file guy

I'm in the same boat. I tried taking a class through edX that was listed as beginner, but it was far from it. I'd love to learn PowerShell, but I need to start on the ground floor, maybe even the basement.

DeaconFrost, Jul 4, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    dencal, Jul 4, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    I've been covering PowerShell on and off for about 5 years. You can learn it if you set your mind to it. It's not totally different from, or alien to, the old DOS BAT stuff. Here's a list of resources I put together on the subject for TechTarget in March, 2016. It also includes links for further reading at the end of the piece. Find it at PowerShell script examples and reference guide for admins. See also my September 2016 blog post entitled "For More Windows Expertise, Learn PowerShell." In about 8 hours' time, starting cold last year, I was able to reduplicate the old Windows Experience program using only PowerShell and its XML parsing capabilities. If I can do it, so can you!
    Good luck,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 4, 2016
  7. x509 Win User
    Wowzers. I feel like Powershell is a foreign language compared to DOS commands.*Eek Any clues to get started?

x509, Jul 4, 2016
  8. x509 Win User

+1, no, +2

x509, Jul 4, 2016
  9. galaxys Win User
    It's also new to me, but found it easy to use by just copy and paste Brink's tutorials commands! *Biggrin

galaxys, Jul 4, 2016
  10. x509 Win User
    Thanks, but Brink has done so many tut's. Which ones are you referring to?

11. galaxys Win User
    galaxys, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Learning Powershell, for an old DOS BAT-file guy - Similar Threads - Learning Powershell old

2. Bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat file: I have a bat fileI am improving it bit by bit till I have reached But not i have added a warning to it before a commandI now want to make that line font size Bigger than the others How can I do that ??So here is the Batch file content@ECHO OFF echo...
  3. .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .bat files: So i am trying to make a minecraft server and need to open a .bat file but i keep getting a error saying "This app can not run on this pc" But it worked a month ago i need a solution please....
  4. Bat file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bat file: Good morning/evening/night, I wanted to create a batch file or an exe that can change options inside the gui of an application (the application is cisco webex) (if you are familliar with webex i want to change the audio or turn it to music mode witha batch file) but i am...
  5. Pass an argument from a .bat file to PowerShell script

in Windows 10 Support
    Pass an argument from a .bat file to PowerShell script: I have subscribed to a push notification service in order to be able to send push notifications to my phone. Here is the PowerShell script: Code: $uri = "https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json" $parameters = @{ token = "token" user = "user" message = "Push Message" }...
  6. Learn powershell

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Learn powershell: Hi, I used use linux but recently i switched to windows and I want to learn powershell. Have you any tips, courses, books or other resources? Sorry for bad english submitted by /u/Hardcore_Cytrynka [link] [comments]...
  7. Looking for these old DOS games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for these old DOS games.: Any of you remember this old DOS Games, where you combat a tank in space. I think it was some kind of demo. And also a jet DOS game, when you fly earlier in the game or crash, there's a loud scream. 152576
  8. .bat file

in Windows 10 Customization
    .bat file: I have .bat file it is not working in my new PC when I double click on it. but it was working in my old PC. could your please support how to associate .bat file in windows 10? Kindly looking for your support and reply in this regards. Thanks.....
  9. System.Net.WebClient in .bat problem with download zip file Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    System.Net.WebClient in .bat problem with download zip file Powershell: Hello, I'm preparing a .bat file that downloads few files. I encountered a problem with downloading a larger file. Perhaps it is not the size of the file but a specific link. Well, in the bat file I use the command: Code: powershell.exe -Command "(New-Object...
  10. Playing Old Dos Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing Old Dos Games: I have an Old Dos Game that I was able to find in bin format and was trying to figure out how to play it on Windows 10. I was trying to figure out DosBox but maybe it's just me but it's too complicated. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks 36500