Windows 10: Leave Homegroup in Windows 10

Discus and support Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Clint, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Clint Win User

Leave Homegroup in Windows 10

How to: Leave Homegroup in Windows 10

Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream media to devices.

When a PC homegroup password, which you can get from the PC that created the homegroup or any PC already joined to the homegroup.

When a PC joins a homegroup, all user accounts (except guest account) on the PC become members of the homegroup. Each user on the PC will always be able to choose what libraries and devices to share with the homegroup.

If you decide that you no longer want to belong to a homegroup, you can leave it by removing your computer from it. After you leave a homegroup, you will no longer be able to access files and printers other people have shared with that homegroup. If all computers joined to the same homegroup leave the homegroup, then the homegroup will no longer exist.

When you leave a homegroup, all user accounts on your computer also leave the homegroup.

This tutorial will show you how to leave a homegroup in Windows 10 to stop sharing files and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 PCs joined to the homegroup.

Warning Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, the HomeGroup service is no longer operational in Windows 10. The user profile used for sharing and the file/folder/printer shares will continue to work.

Here are recommended alternatives to HomeGroup for you to get the best file-sharing experience in Windows 10 going forward:
    • File Storage:
      • OneDrive is a cloud-first, cross-device storage and collaboration platform for all of the pieces of data that matter most in your life – like your files, your photos, your videos, and more.
      • OneDrive Files On-Demand takes cloud file storage a step further, allowing you to access all your files in the cloud without having to download them and use storage space on your device.
    • Share Functionality: For those who prefer not to use the Cloud to connect their devices, the Share functionality for folders and printers allows you to see the available devices and connect them to and from other PCs on your home network.
    • Easier Connection: No more remembering cryptic HomeGroup passwords in order to connect to another PC. You can now simply connect through your Microsoft Account email address across devices.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Homegroup icon, and click/tap on the Leave the homegroup link. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

3. You have left the homegroup. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshots below)

Tip If you are not able to successfully leave the homegroup, then:

1) Turn off all PCs on your home network.

2) Delete only the contents inside the hidden PeerNetworking folder located below.

*Arrow C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

3) Restart the computer.

4) Try to leave the homegroup again.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Clint, Nov 2, 2016
  2. MarkLaru Win User

Windows 10 upgrade corrupted my Home Group

This did not work. I have set these all to Automatic but I can still NOT leave or delete the corrupted HomeGroup. When I enter the password for the HomeGroup I get the following message:

Windows no longer detects a HomeGroup on this Network, To create a new HomeGroup click "OK" and then open HomeGroup in the Control Panel"

When you do this you CANNOT CREATE or LEAVE the HomeGroup. The windows say Windows has detected a HomeGroup.

Windows 10 corrupted the HomeGRoup so you are in a never ending circle.

How do you DELETE or LEAVE a HomeGroup in Windows 10.

MarkLaru, Nov 2, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Clint, *Smile

What do you see instead?

Brink, Nov 3, 2016
  5. Clint Win User
    I have deleted the all the files in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking.
    What I'm trying to do is remove the Media player icon in my network. I'm not connected to HomeGroup and neither is my wife's
    The last 2 pic are from my wife's PC on the network.

Clint, Nov 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, ok. You're wanting to remove a media device from Networks instead.

It would probably be best to start a new thread for that issue. *Sad

Brink, Nov 3, 2016
  7. SeanCrim Win User
    I am having the same issue. I have removed the files you spoke of but when I go back in to leave the group there is no link for it. If I try to login to the homegroup that I am invited to join, it tells me there are no homegroups detected.

SeanCrim, Nov 6, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Sean, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

See if doing what's in the yellow tip box on all computers that were/are in your homegroup to see if that may be able to help afterwards.

Brink, Nov 6, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    For some reason I couldn't see my new PC's folders in Network on that machine or any other, since I had it*Confused:

Today I figured out what to do.

I joined Homegroup which is a "one stop" network setup, then immediately left it, and I was able to see all my folders on my other Windows systems(which I realize now, were at one time in a Homegroup setup, but I later decided to get rid of it).

Most home users will not need a Homegroup just to transfer files between PC's and Virtual Machines, but you can then use Network in File Explorer to do it safely & securely through your router.

from File Explorer Desktop

from File Explorer Hyper-V Insider build

Cliff S, Jan 5, 2017
  10. Cliff S New Member
    One additional thing:
    This was so important to me, because, I wanted to use my Libraries, specially Music and Pictures on my host(Desktop) in my Insider VM.

Cliff S, Jan 5, 2017
  11. thedoc46 Win User
    I had an issue, where I had upgraded a Win7 machine to Win10, and then upgraded my main machine. When i went to create my homegroup on my main machine, it said, i7 2600k (the machine that was already upgraded to Win10 and no longer on Win7, was already running the homegroup) Which it wasn't. Anyway after posting this, i got an excellent response from Eagle51, which fixed my issue. So without further adhue I'll repost his fix, as in to help others.

, Give this a try.

1. Make sure all PC's have left the HomeGroup or are NOT joined to a HomeGroup
    2. Turn off all PC's
    3. Reboot PC that originally had HomeGroup and now has the phantom HomeGroup
    4. After reboot, you should be able to create a new HomeGroup on that PC replacing the phantom HomeGroup. Print or write down new HomeGroup password.
    5. Boot other PCs and attempt to join HomeGroup with new password.

Note: Make sure you use the ORIGINAL PC that had the HomeGroup ! (step 3)
    Note: Once you have fixed the phantom HomeGroup, you should be able to have all the PC's leave the HomeGroup, then create a new HomeGroup on the PC of your choice.

thedoc46, Jun 22, 2017
  12. provlima Win User
    Am trying to remove homegroups from both W1) pcs so I can start from scratch.

(Was unable to share a homegroup with new laptop as homegroup passwords were not accepted).

Was successful in removing from my laptop but could not remove homegroup from my desktop PC. There is no option to leave Homegoup in Homegroup settings as there was on the laptop.

I tried following Brinks suggested method of deleting the Peergroup files, and that too was unable to solve the problem

Any help with this would be appreciated

provlima, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello provlima, *Smile

What do you see on the desktop PC instead?

Brink, Dec 13, 2017
  14. provlima Win User
    Thanks for your quick response
    This is what I see

provlima, Dec 13, 2017
  15. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey provlima,
    Have you tried shutting down both PCs, then start your desktop PC only ?

Eagle51, Dec 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Leave Homegroup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Leave Homegroup

2. Can't leave/remove HomeGroup in post-1803 Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't leave/remove HomeGroup in post-1803 Win10: Trying once again to get rid of the HomeGroup on my Win10 Home, 21H1, build 19043.1586 that always comes up as the 1st login option. Must be a hangover from a Win 7 upgrade that I've been putting up with ever since.Every post I've found on this apparently deals with pre-1803...
  3. Can't leave/remove HomeGroup in post-1803 Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't leave/remove HomeGroup in post-1803 Win10: Trying once again to get rid of the HomeGroup on my Win10 Home, 21H1, build 19043.1586 that always comes up as the 1st login option. Must be a hangover from a Win 7 upgrade that I've been putting up with ever since.Every post I've found on this apparently deals with pre-1803...
  4. Can't leave/remove HomeGroup in post-1803 Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. can not leave HomeGroup in1809

can not leave HomeGroup in1809: I have 1809 in my pcs & i noticed my windows 7 laptop says i have homegroup on one of my win 10 1809 pcs but i cant leave the homegroup on that machine as they took it out why is my 7 machine see it? How do i log out of the homegroup on that machine with no option? 122768
  6. no camera / leave my homegroup

in Windows 10 Customization
    no camera / leave my homegroup: I need to know: 1. find my camera / after 1803 installation I no longer can find my camera 2. how to exit homegroup? Delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/no-camera-leave-my-homegroup/721e2235-c39b-4818-bcaf-dfce14c5eb2b
  7. Leaving Homegroup

Leaving Homegroup: I was operating two computers on a wired network each running Win 7 that I have upgraded to Win 10. Most seems to be Ok but I have problems trying to get access from the one computer to a printer connected to the second computer. Here is a summary of the actions I have taken:...
  8. Cannot leave or create homegroup

Cannot leave or create homegroup: I've tried every "fix" I've come across and I cannot get my homegroup back up. Is there a way to use the command line to leave the homegroup? This has been a huge pain since I upgraded my PCs to Win10. Using flash drives to share files is getting old. 27295
  9. Windows 10 refresh leaves PC unable to connect to Homegroup

Windows 10 refresh leaves PC unable to connect to Homegroup: I've five Windows 10 pc's on home network connected to Homegroup for sharing. I performed Windows 10 refresh keeping personal settings on 3 pc's; hopegroup is fine. I performed a windows 10 refresh keeping personal settings on a fourth pc; now it won't connect to Homegroup,...
  10. Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!

Homegroup issue: I have one laptop which cannot join (or leave)!: Folks, I'm in need of an assist. I have 5 computers working nicely with one another on my homegroup. None of that matters since my wife's laptop is the one which doesn't work with the homegroup. I've read every tutorial and tried every step that I could find, to no...