Windows 10: Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons

Discus and support Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please help spent hours googling, but just end up at customisation guides, which none mention the situation Iv'e made [img] to expand the icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blueflash, Jul 5, 2016.

1. blueflash Win User

Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons

Please help spent hours googling, but just end up at customisation guides, which none mention the situation Iv'e made

Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons [​IMG]

to expand the icons and see names of folders I need click "expand" icon at top.

What have I done and how can I get it back to normal

Thanks..

Or is this how its now suppose to be?

:)

blueflash, Jul 5, 2016

2. Can't change window sizes

All of a sudden, my Start Menu tiles are in the middle of my desktop, and I am unable to make my windows smaller. It's either minimized or full-sized. When I click on the double box, nothing happens. I don't know whether it is an update or if I punched
    something by mistake. Does anyone have a suggestion? I like my Start Menu tiles collapsed in the left sidebar. Thanks.

LeslieLDenning, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Beroun Win User
    Start Sidebar no longer shows settings

Hi,

The Settings icon disappeared from the left sidebar (the extreme left stripe after clicking the Start button). I can slide down through programs to find Setting alphabetically but it no longer shows in the left stripe.

Any idea how to get it back?

Beroun, Jul 5, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Can you type in winver in the search bar please.

swarfega, Jul 5, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    That is how it is supposed to be when you do not show All Apps. Only tiles show on the right. If you want the standard Windows 7 type Start area, you can use either Classic Shell or Start10. Windows 10 was developed more towards the Surface, not towards the desktop.

bro67, Jul 6, 2016
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    You do know that is the Insider Edition of Windows 10 and not the release version? That is probably how the Anniversary Edition is going to be. If you want a different look Classic Shell is an option, but you loose the left click on the start button.

wyldman68, Jul 6, 2016
  7. blueflash Win User
    version 1607, looks like changes are part of next update then, not liking to be honest as cant see anyway hide All Apps, but I suppose other will prefer.

*Redface doh

blueflash, Jul 6, 2016
  8. blueflash Win User

problem is it is Showing ALL apps would prefer them hidden as they was in 1st windows 10 start menu then, thought I chnaged something but must been the update

blueflash, Jul 6, 2016
  9. spunk Win User
    Go to Settings/Personalization/Start move the switch Use Start Full Screen to ON

spunk, Jul 6, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    @blueflash, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Unfortunately there is no work around for what you wish in the latest Builds.
    You could, however, set "MouseHoverTime" in the Registry to show a hover tip (1) in a fraction of a second, or
    you could create shortcuts to those locations and add them to your Start Menu, (2)

(Also, eventually you begin memorizing which icon is which, in that list)

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Left Sidebar on the Start Menu is collapsed showing just Icons - Similar Threads - Left Sidebar Start

2. Start menu icons not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu icons not showing: Hello, I don't know what happened, suddenly my icons disappeared, I want to fix this problem, it bothers me a lot, is there any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-not-showing/2938c0c0-1adf-4d46-8161-20c1a4b8aa62
  3. Start menu icons not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu icons not showing: Hello, I don't know what happened, suddenly my icons disappeared, I want to fix this problem, it bothers me a lot, is there any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-not-showing/2938c0c0-1adf-4d46-8161-20c1a4b8aa62
  4. Start menu icons not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu collapsing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu collapsing: My start menu starting to collapse and not working at all. I clicked on apps but it aint working. Some days ago I had problem with application installed so I tried to uninstall some but after doing that and re install everything when I click the apps in start menu it will not...
  6. Start menu collapsing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu collapsing: My start menu starting to collapse and not working at all. I clicked on apps but it aint working. Some days ago I had problem with application installed so I tried to uninstall some but after doing that and re install everything when I click the apps in start menu it will not...
  7. Start menu collapsing

8. The sidebar icons not responding in start menu

The sidebar icons not responding in start menu: You pretty much understand my problem.. The sidebar in start menu where the account, documents, settings etc. come Whenever I click on any 1 of them It doesn't respond.. The start menu just crashes. I don't know why but this new win 10 update is awful. It takes upto 2 gb ram...
  9. Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?

Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?: Is there a way to customize the Windows 10 start menu to always expand the left margin icons? There are three lines at the top left corner that can expand the left margin outward, but it collapses afterwards. I'd prefer to get rid of the alphabetized scroll list altogether...
  10. How to add icons to the left of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add icons to the left of Start Menu?: Just got Windows 10 a few hours ago. I don't see how you pin icons for programs to the LEFT side of the start menu. I can pin things to the right side, but I don't want those tiles. 34220