Windows 10: Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10

Discus and support Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, FInally, I got myself a new T series notebook. I'm looking to get rid of my X1 Carbon (Gen 2). A few months back, I did a factory reset from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dannyddn, Mar 14, 2018.

1. dannyddn Win User

Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10

Hi all,

FInally, I got myself a new T series notebook. I'm looking to get rid of my X1 Carbon (Gen 2). A few months back, I did a factory reset from Windows 10 and it went smoothly, but when I attempted it a few days back, I kept getting the error "there was a problem resetting your pc".

I downloaded and installed media creation tool for windows and put it on a usb. I'm now stuck where I cannot install Windows on any of the partitions. See attached, here is where I'm stuck. Windows isn't allowing me to install on the primary drive. I tried to delete the partition and then click new partition but the same error comes up "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. I was going to delete the system and lenovo recovery partitions but wasn't sure, I figured I would ask first. Should I be deleting all 3 partitions and then attempt to create a new partition? Would the re-install create new partitions for the system and lenovo recovery drive?

Thanks

:)

dannyddn, Mar 14, 2018

2. Start Menu pops up randomly (win8-win10)

The same issue, Lenovo Yoga X1, Win 10, I'd like to uninstall Asus Screensaver and be happy, but no way for me. If anyone has any additional thoughts, that'd be great

Katerina Kiselyova, Mar 14, 2018
  3. My Win 7 system won't upgrade to Win 10 - Stuck Checking for Updates

I have Lenovo X1 Yoga with Win 7 Pro and I and I am trying to upgrade to Win 10. I keep getting stuck on Checking for Updates. I removed my wireless mouse (only peripheral). I tried updating the drivers using the Lenovo Update and Driver tool. It will
    complete running the Intel Wireless LAN Driver 7 (64).

Jo AnnAaronson, Mar 14, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this may help- from the extensive Tutorial section, which you're free to browse and search:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

You may keep the manufacturer's Recovery partition (perhaps some 20Gb) - don't confuse that with the much smaller unlettered Recover partition Windows creates which you should delete as part of clean installing.

But if you're never going to use it- then feel free to delete it too.

A clean install of Windows knows nothing about your manufacturer's Recovery partition- if it exists, it's just a partition containing some data.

Note- clean install Windows to unallocated space - not an existing partition. (as per section 11 on).

dalchina, Mar 14, 2018
  5. dannyddn Win User
    Hi there! That is a great guide.

I was scared of deleting partition 1 and 2, I wasn't sure if it would brick the system at all. I only delete the big partition in hopes that windows would install on that one only. So at this point, I believe the suggestion is to delete all of drive 0s partition except the usb, and attempt to create a new setup from there?

I'm worried about that error also, will I keep getting that after I delete all of the partitions, then what do I do from there? I attached the error. Am I getting this because I didn't delete the existing system and recovery partitions?

Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10 [​IMG]

Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10 [​IMG]

dannyddn, Mar 14, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you want to check what those partitions created by your manufacturer actually are, best ask in their forum; maybe someone here familiar with Lenovo can comment further.

What puzzles me is how you've reached a point where there is a mismatch between your disk and your BIOS settings.

The simplest option would be to start with a completely clean disk.

dalchina, Mar 14, 2018
  7. dannyddn Win User
    Ok, so I wiped all 3 partitions so I now have just the one unpartitioned space. I read quite a few guides and watches videos, it's how many have been doing it.
    I'm still getting the same error! This is beyond frustrating.

dannyddn, Mar 14, 2018
  8. dannyddn Win User

Finally got windows installed. I had to convert the harddisk from mbr to gpt via the CLI. After that, was good to go.

dannyddn, Mar 15, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Good news.. well done.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Lenovo X1 Factory Reset - Win 10 - Similar Threads - Lenovo Factory Reset

2. Factory resetting a Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Factory resetting a Lenovo laptop: Hey, I am about to factory reset my Lenovo laptop and I was wondering if all of the pre-installed apps will stay on the system when I reset it. If not is there a way I can keep all of the Lenovo software and stuff installed on the laptop so it's as if I just got a new Lenovo...
  3. Factory resetting a Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory resetting a Lenovo laptop: Hey, I am about to factory reset my Lenovo laptop and I was wondering if all of the pre-installed apps will stay on the system when I reset it. If not is there a way I can keep all of the Lenovo software and stuff installed on the laptop so it's as if I just got a new Lenovo...
  4. Factory resetting a Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Factory Reset A Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Factory Reset A Win 10: I have a win 10 in which factory reset is not possible as when I go into the screen which shows the reset options only the UEFI option shows in the Advanced mode, picture for ref...
  6. Factory Reset A Win 10

Factory Reset A Win 10: I have a win 10 in which factory reset is not possible as when I go into the screen which shows the reset options only the UEFI option shows in the Advanced mode, picture for ref...
  7. Factory Reset A Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. after factory reset of win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after factory reset of win 10: how do I restore my Microsoft games https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-factory-reset-of-win-10/70bb7097-637f-4fb7-9260-a1d7bb98e7da
  9. Win 10 factory reset failure

Win 10 factory reset failure: recently did a factory reset on my Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop (Build Nov 2016, i7, 8Gb, AMD R7 m445 graphics) to try and repair some long standing bugs I had encountered during previous attempts at Win10 updates. Unfortunately after completing the reset, the laptop boots up,...
  10. Win 10 reset factory error

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 reset factory error: how to fix a reset factory error.. please need some advice...my laptop is restart always after the logo sign appear thnx for ur help..^_^ 75014