Windows 10: Less intrusive "Free" AV

Discus and support Less intrusive "Free" AV in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I may be looking for an alternative AV to WD in the near future. Which free one do you think is av with less bloatware and less intrusive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Less intrusive "Free" AV

Hello.

I may be looking for an alternative AV to WD in the near future.

Which free one do you think is av with less bloatware and less intrusive to the system?

I know some of them include some not-so-good toolbars and some of them may even spy on you or, at least, gather personal info about web surfing habits and some other telemetry things.

TIA.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Feb 10, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Less intrusive "Free" AV :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Less intrusive "Free" AV :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Less intrusive "Free" AV :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Less intrusive "Free" AV :)

musum, Feb 10, 2016
  4. mike s Win User

Less intrusive "Free" AV

I have BitDefender Free running on an old XP machine with 512 MB and it is not very intrusive; however the UI is primitive and limited.

On most other machines I use Avira Free. It is configurable and reasonably bloat-free (except for losta churning at start-up on machines with truly limited resources).

mike s, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Simple Answer - Windows Defender

garydexter, Feb 10, 2016
  6. 360 Total Security Essential without the cleaner is pretty light and nice looking.
    It has great detections too, it contains 4 AV engines, including Bitdefender & Avira.

TairikuOkami, Feb 10, 2016
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks. I have already downloaded it from a link you posted on another thread... *Cool

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

Less intrusive "Free" AV

As far as I know BitDefender doesn't get along well with W10 yet...

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    But I am already using Windows Defender, which I think it's fine. My main concern is that it's bombarding me with too many false positives lately.

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  10. RolandJS Win User
    Anyone considering Avast Anti-virus free -- make sure you do the custom/advanced install, thus you get to choose which services, modules, you want.

RolandJS, Feb 10, 2016
  11. You could try using this, run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v "DisableBehaviorMonitoring" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Eventually you might also want to disable cloud based protection via the settings.

It should stop false positives, but it will also lower overall protection, WD will be unable to stop suspicious threats.

TairikuOkami, Feb 10, 2016
  12. 360 Total Security Essential, gets my vote too. And yes Bitdefender free is not compatible with Win 10.

thegeriatric, Feb 10, 2016
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

Less intrusive "Free" AV

I have just installed 360 Total Security Essential. So far, so good. It seems it doesn't show any nagging ads or such. Good.
    My systems feels more responsive than before. Memory footprint is okay. Of course I have enabled Avira engine (the other three were enabled by default). Interface is pleasant and tidy (like WD).

Icons in folders show instantly (unlike WD).

eLPuSHeR, Feb 10, 2016
  14. Isn't behavior monitoring only in the Enterprise release?

garydexter, Feb 11, 2016
  15. I guess, it is hidden a setting, it is present on Pro version, I would assume it applies to Home as well via registry.

TairikuOkami, Feb 11, 2016
Thema:

Less intrusive "Free" AV

1. Less intrusive "Free" AV - Similar Threads - Less intrusive Free

2. INTRUSION

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INTRUSION: When the power supply is cut outside my door, my pc will get to shutdown. In this case a small battery plugged in my pc would be useful? Or any other good idea do you have? If so, it would be grateful to let me know how to do. Intrusions happen frequently even though when I...
  3. INTRUSION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INTRUSION: When the power supply is cut outside my door, my pc will get to shutdown. In this case a small battery plugged in my pc would be useful? Or any other good idea do you have? If so, it would be grateful to let me know how to do. Intrusions happen frequently even though when I...
  4. Can Microsoft be less intrusive?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can Microsoft be less intrusive?: In the last few days every so often I have to waste time to convince the system to leave me alone by stopping to ask me to pick up default software for purposes that in most cases I don't care about. Is there a way to get rid of such interference? Many thanks!...
  5. Free AV Reviews

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free AV Reviews: Below is a lengthy, but informative article from ZDNet which reviews free AV software. May be of interest to those who prefer. WD fully meets my needs and I don't keep up with other AV's. But I have never heard of Sophos or Kaspersky Security Cloud. Best free PC antivirus...
  6. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  7. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  8. Best Free AV for Old PC?

Best Free AV for Old PC?: I have an older Windows 7 desktop that I need a free Antivirus for, one that's light on system resources preferably. I tried MBAM and it uses up quite a bit of CPU, my old PC would run loud when I had MBAM on it. I need something lightweight and completely 100% free.
  9. Kaspersky AV Free after Rebate

Kaspersky AV Free after Rebate: Just in case you haven't seen this one: Get Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016 for free - CNET 51467
  10. Bitdefender Free AV

Bitdefender Free AV: I like to try out things I have not used before so today I have installed Bitdefender AV and I like what I see up to now, I may be tempted to buy it *Smile [img] [img] 77320