Windows 10: Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

Discus and support Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So from my last thread it seems that there isn't a main thread for this so here's one. If you've got some old hardware that will run Win10 and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shaocaholica, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

So from my last thread it seems that there isn't a main thread for this so here's one.

If you've got some old hardware that will run Win10 and the will to do it, post about it here. Post screenshots to proove you've got it working. And no, Core 2 CPUs don't count as old, those are still usable *Smile

Well I'll start. Here's Win10 build 10130 running on a 10 year old Dell XPS M170 laptop (circa 2005). Fastest CPU option, max ram at 2GB.

https://i.imgur.com/xMGGJcY.png

Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware [​IMG]

:)

shaocaholica, Jun 9, 2015
  2. RidgeFC Win User

WP8 Backups Really Old

As Stated in my Post - ALL the backup features where turned on, let it sit over night.

RidgeFC, Jun 9, 2015
  3. RidgeFC Win User
    WP8 Backups Really Old

Yes they are both running the same version.

RidgeFC, Jun 9, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

Well, Windows 10 request the eXecute Dispable bit, or NX bit and the first NX bit capable CPU's were AMD Opteron's that shipped in mid-2003. So any hardware older than this won't run Windows 10 for sure.

The first Pentium's to support this were Pentium 4's in late 2004. These were the so-called "J" processors because they had J's after their model number.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  5. Note quite. Win10 will use hardware execute disable but will fallback to software if the CPU doesn't have it. Its not a hard requirement according to this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

6. Mystere Win User
    That was in Windows Vista. In windows 8 (maybe 8.1, can't remember) NX was made a requirement. I believe the reason was security related. If you emulated the bit, then there was some attack vector that was possible, so they dropped the emulation support.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  7. Oh haha, missed the 'Vista' in the corner.

So the first Opteron with NX bit was in 2005.

Opteron (90 nm SOI, DDR)[edit]
    Single-core – Venus (1yy), Troy (2yy), Athens (8yy)

My Pentium M was also 2005 so I'm not far off from an age perspective. Maybe there's something older we're missing?

8. Mystere Win User

Actually, the Pentium M 780 was released in April of 2006, and didn't start shipping in equipment until mid-year.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  9. Wikipedia says released "July 25, 2005". Intel ARK doesn't have release date info.

10. Mystere Win User
    Ahh.. I was misreading a different article, the processor had alrady been released, I thought the article was talking about the release. I stand corrected.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  11. So by the sounds of the hardware, Windows 10 won't run on anything less than Socket 478 for Intel and ... Socket 939 for AMD?

heyyahblah, Jun 9, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    While true, it's not quite that simple. Not all Socket 478's work, since 478 was introduced with the Northwood cores in 2002. NX capable cores came in late 2004, and Socket 775 came out in 2006 (which by then all these had NX)

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  13. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware

Ahh interesting. So only 478's with Northwood, that's good to know. I personally don't know anyone myself that has that hardware, oldest I know of is a friend that has AMD 939 and another friend that has Socket 775. The oldest I have is (xp machine) 5400+ AM2.

heyyahblah, Jun 9, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    No, you misunderstood. Northwood cores shipped in 2002, almost 3 years before NX was available. My point is that only 478 cores with J in their names have NX.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    At present I am running a Intel Q9300 Quad in a socket 775 at 2.5 gig Hz without any problems. This was originally a Vista machine with an Intel Pentium Dual Cord. I had the Q9300 laying around so I pop it in about five years ago and it still going strong. This is my Win 10 system.

Thema:

1. Let's run Win10 on really really old hardware - Similar Threads - Let's run Win10

2. Really?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really?: Why is this site the worst website for help with Microsoft tech questions. Why would anyone suggesting to use Malwarebytes? Why do none of your suggestions work? Why are you pretending to be Microsoft experts?...
  3. Really?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really?: Why is this site the worst website for help with Microsoft tech questions. Why would anyone suggesting to use Malwarebytes? Why do none of your suggestions work? Why are you pretending to be Microsoft experts?...
  4. Really?!?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really?!?: I have just spent the last 45 minutes trying to get "100% disk use" down to a level where my wife can check her email and facebook for maybe twenty minutes before she heads out for the day. FORTY-FIVE minutes... killing process after process, to no avail. Signing out of the...
  5. Really?!?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really?!?: I have just spent the last 45 minutes trying to get "100% disk use" down to a level where my wife can check her email and facebook for maybe twenty minutes before she heads out for the day. FORTY-FIVE minutes... killing process after process, to no avail. Signing out of the...
  6. Is disabling hardware acceleration really worth it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is disabling hardware acceleration really worth it?: Is there any benefit disabling hardware acceleration in chrome? Are there any benchmarks studies done with and without it enabled, i found only this , but i am hoping for new ones. my fan goes bananas even when i open settings on my windows 10, how about the same on vlc media...
  7. I really really really need help with this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really really really need help with this: Hey i accidentally switched to a microsoft account instead of local on my laptop (windows 10, im pretty sure its the latest version) and just so happened to turn off my computer some time afterwards but i dont remember my microsoft password, it shows the reset password option...
  8. week old HP really slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    week old HP really slow: This HP 690-0073w was fast when I got it. Now it won't even keep up with my typing. The taskbar thinks about coming up all the time. Firefox takes about 10 seconds to come up. Tried clean boot per instructions here. Nada, still slow with everything disabled. I did install...
  9. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...
  10. Laptop running really slow.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop running really slow.: Hi, Looking for help as my laptop takes about 5 secs to load every time I click something. Takes ever longer when I minimize an application and switch to another(that is already open). I just wanted to make sure if my laptop performance is just normal for the specs it has,...