Windows 10: LF hints: Updating Samsung Raiisa R700 from Windows 7 to 10

Discus and support LF hints: Updating Samsung Raiisa R700 from Windows 7 to 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, I want to update one of my old Samsung Laptops (Samsung R700 Aura T5750 Raiisa (NPR700-AS05DE/SEG)) from it's native Windows 7 to 10. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Badabing, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Badabing Win User

LF hints: Updating Samsung Raiisa R700 from Windows 7 to 10

Hi there,

I want to update one of my old Samsung Laptops (Samsung R700 Aura T5750 Raiisa (NPR700-AS05DE/SEG)) from it's native Windows 7 to 10. I looked around a little bit if it's possible at all - Samsungs FAQ, like always, no big help concerning this - and found some posts/infos (that seemed to be revoked), that Samsung advises strongly against doing so. Main reason: driver issues.

So: Has anybody maybe tried this before me yet? Or has any advice what to look after / not to do, because otherwise problem X will come up?

P.S.: Please stop telling me "Buy a new device!". I got several, I'm just interested in tuning up the old stuff and how much it will improve it's performance and if it'll perform better with 10 or 7. Otherwise I'll just store it into my vintage corner in the attic...

:)

Badabing, Feb 6, 2018

2. windows 10 update on Toshiba Portege R700-153 causing an annoying black screen

I recently updated my Toshiba Portege R700-153 pc from windows 8.1 to windows 10 but after login, the screen goes blank only showing the cursor. What do I do?

tsisaga Jumba', Feb 6, 2018
  3. Fingerprint not registering issue

Hello i am running on windows 10 pro on my laptop toshiba portege r700:

I want to delete all fingerprint from fingerprint scanner those are not showing on windows hello. Please help how can i remove my saved fingerprint from fingerprint scanner?

A MS Windows User, Feb 6, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Why not just back it up and then try it?

You can still use this tutorial to activate a clean install of Windows 10 if you save the Windows 7 activation first:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If it turns out 10 is unusable due to missing drivers then you can restore. I have different but (some of them older) PCs and they work OK. I think you'll be OK. Probably.

Clean install of 10 will be better than upgrade as upgrade gets stuck when the process doesn't like your Video Driver/USB etc.

Assuming you made a backup you can re-install your programs on 10, recreate your users and then just copy your data back.

Worth a try *Smile

lx07, Feb 6, 2018
  5. Badabing Win User
    'Cause if someone comes up with the "Been there, waste of time!" answer, I'd save me the trouble. *Wink

I try to do that if I won't get that and then come up with my story. *Biggrin And tyvm for the link!

P.S.: I wanted to do a clean install, since I doubt, like you said, that it'll run well. But if Windows 10 won't find any supported drivers...

Badabing, Feb 6, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    Perhaps someone else will know better - I don't have a Samsung unfortunately.

If you try it I think you'll have more luck with clean install than upgrade for sure. The process simply doesn't check as much.

Windows update (after clean install) will give you drivers for most things and then (in my experience) you'll spend hours looking for a trackpad driver. Or for your 3G modem. It is the small things that take the time.

lx07, Feb 6, 2018
  7. Badabing Win User
    K, if it's just that: both are, after all those years, still in mint condition. So... *Wink

Badabing, Feb 6, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

I'm all for giving older machines a new lease of life. My test machine (System Two in 'My Computers' below) is a Samsung R519, original spec 1GB RAM, x86 Win7 Pro and Office 2007. To test it's capabilities with Windows 10, why not do what I did?

First I used Windows 7's Backup & Restore to create a system image of the existing HDD. Then removed the original HDD, replaced with a spare and restore the system image to it. Then upgraded that to Windows 10. The Microsoft-supplied drivers seemed to work fine.

General impression was that it ran at least as well with Win10 as it did with Win7. In fact, apps like Office appeared to open quicker, probably as a result of SuperFetch.

I have been using it as a support/test machine for over a year now. It has multiple system images I can (and frequently do) restore, there's the original OEM Win7 and all versions of Win10 from 2015 RTM 1507 up to the latest 1709 (currently on build 16299.192).

With the Fall Creators Update I finally ran into a problem with the installed RAM being only 1GB, so have now upgraded to 4GB. Windows and Office ran fine, but...

Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

Bree, Feb 6, 2018
  9. Badabing Win User
    Well, my feedback so far:

Short: It worked w/o any problems.

Long: It worked w/o any problems. *Biggrin I used a very old (10.0.10240.16384) Win10 image (to be sure) and even that recognized everything correctly. Even the trackpad. And the modem. It even did install the fall update correctly - something that one of my other devices still didn't achieve (Other post - maybe. Still working on it.) Performance is way better than w/ Win 7. Since it went through w/o any trouble, I can't write anything more. *Wink

The only "problem" I encountered: due to the old hardware the fall update took hours till completion. Maybe next time I'd use the latest image.

Badabing, Feb 8, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    That's good news - there are lots of us using old hardware here.

Now to run disk cleanup - that will also take hours and use all your CPU - but it is worth it (and worth scheduling for when you're not doing anything else...).

11. Badabing Win User
    Already done. Maybe I wipe after that the whole thingy and start over again w/ an actual image. Atm I got a Win7/10 multi boot.

Well, what's kinda annoying, but just a minor issue, that it doesn't automatically connect to my WLAN - and does take really long to do so (~40s) or just via troubleshooting.

Badabing, Feb 8, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

I would have gone straight to upgrading it with the latest Win10 install media, but glad to hear it works well. My experience with older hardware has also been that Win10 seems faster than the original OEM Win7.

Thema:

1. LF hints: Updating Samsung Raiisa R700 from Windows 7 to 10 - Similar Threads - hints Updating Samsung

2. windows 10 update from windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 update from windows 7: how can i update to windows 10 from windows 7 pro if i keep getting the message that my windows copy is not original? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-from-windows-7/1e909529-61b8-41b0-b0f7-688695c82177
  3. to get a text file of uniform line endings from mixed ones CR+LF and LF

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    to get a text file of uniform line endings from mixed ones CR+LF and LF: Well, I think this bash script is of almost no use in general :-I hope this maybe help Japanese user somewhere.I'm using this script to rectify log files on Windows 10 Home 21H2 with ubuntu focal of WSL2 Windows Susbsystem for Linux .--- $HOME/bin/win_cnv#!/bin/bash## Usage:...
  4. to get a text file of uniform line endings from mixed ones CR+LF and LF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to get a text file of uniform line endings from mixed ones CR+LF and LF: Well, I think this bash script is of almost no use in general :-I hope this maybe help Japanese user somewhere.I'm using this script to rectify log files on Windows 10 Home 21H2 with ubuntu focal of WSL2 Windows Susbsystem for Linux .--- $HOME/bin/win_cnv#!/bin/bash## Usage:...
  5. to get a text file of uniform line endings from mixed ones CR+LF and LF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. update from windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    update from windows 7 to 10: I would like to complain and be paid compensation as i upgraded my computer to windows 10 from windows 7 The upgrade Bricked my motherboard making it impossible to Reboot the Motherboard was as advised compatible with windows 10 i am with other issues this upgrade...
  7. `Hints and ???

in Windows 10 Support
    `Hints and ???: What do you call those little pictures that popup when you rollover the taskbar icons? And how can you turn them off. I did it once but forgot how. Don Cole 126941
  8. Windows 10 Password Hint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Password Hint: How do I reset windows 10 using the password hint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-password-hint/74ceec42-e0ba-4902-9577-a5ceabdbad6f
  9. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 failed (Samsung Q330): I just got prompted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my Samsung Q330 laptop. The upgrade downloaded and I watched the upgrade process go from 0-100%. The machine then started to reboot and there was a "loading files" message, but it then hung with the new Windows 10...
  10. Update from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Update from Windows 7 to 10: Several people I know updated to Windows 10 and had n problems. There desktop icons returned - and they were able to access all their old files. Not sure why I can's as I just clicked the install icon the same as they did....anyone know what I am doing wrong? 49973