Windows 10: License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10.

Discus and support License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a full retail boxed 'W8.1 Home' pack (NOT an OEM) that includes two DVD's, a 32bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit has been in use for 18 months on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Mooly Win User

License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10.

I have a full retail boxed 'W8.1 Home' pack (NOT an OEM) that includes two DVD's, a 32bit and 64 bit.

The 64 bit has been in use for 18 months on my main PC, however in order to jump on the W10 bandwagon I installed W10 Pro on this PC by using my old W7 Pro Dell OEM licence.

With me so far *Smile

So that leaves me with a W8.1 license that was last activated on the Dell but is now not in use.

Questions......

1/ I'm assuming I can install W10 Home on my second PC (currently running Vista) and do a clean install by using the W8.1 license code. Is that correct.

I would be using the 32 bit version of W10 on the second PC (its 9yr old and lacks drivers for 64 bit).

2/ If I do this, do I retain the 'right' to install W10 Home 64 bit at some future point in time and on any PC I wish ? In other words, could I in one or two years time download W10 x64 and install it on a different PC (obviously relinquishing the proposed install on the Vista PC)

:)

Mooly, Dec 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Activation

My laptop came with w8.1 pre-installed, I upgraded it to w10 last year or so but I was facing some issues with my laptop and decided to restore it from the boot menu. I ended up restoring to w8.1 instead, how can I upgrade to w10 or get a license to activate
    w10 again???

DavidLagunas, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Can I still have my previous OS licensing if clean install Windows 10?

Will I still be able to reinstall my previous W8.1 after clean install W10 via ISO?

I heard that previous OS licensing will be replaced by W10 once I clean install OS, is it correct?

Alice Aquamarine, Dec 30, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

You can clean install Windows 10 with a W8.1 code yes, this has been made available by Microsoft from version 10565 and higher.
    I can't answer your other question, because I'm not certain with the license system registry of Windows 10.

5. Good to know. This will save me some steps on a few new builds.

DeaconFrost, Dec 30, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have two licenses for Windows. The Dell OEM license stays and dies with the original computer it came on. You can move the retail Windows license from computer to computer as many times as you want, as long as it is on only one computer at a time. After July, 2016, however, any upgrades to Windows 10 on new computers will have to be purchased.

The same licenses work for either 32 bit or 64 bit.

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for the replies folks.

I realise that *Smile, its the bit about what happens in years to come once the W8.1 license has been converted to W10,

If I keep it as W8.1 then its mine forever, both 32 and 64 bit versions, to use and install on any PC I like (as long as its a single activation at any one time).

If I use the W8.1 license now to install W10 on the 9 yr old PC and that PC dies after July 2016 what am I left with license wise ? What becomes of my full W8.1 license ?

Mooly, Dec 30, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You still have use of your Windows 8.1 license for Windows 8.1 just like always. It doesn't die because you upgraded to Windows 10. It just violates the EULA to use it for Windows 8.1 at the same time that you are using a Windows 10 that came from it.

I have a Windows 7 family pack license. It's one single product key that can be installed on up to three computers at the same time. I'm currently running one Windows 10 upgrade from it and a Windows 7 that I installed after the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft does not block the Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys just because they have been used to upgrade to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  9. Mooly Win User
    Brilliant, thank you. That's what I wanted to know *Smile

Mooly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. License questions. Converting W8.1 to W10. - Similar Threads - License questions Converting

2. W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W8 / W10 install methods. Don't need MediaCreationTool or Rufus.: For the noobs out there, I have found an time saving way create Windows Install media that is faster than the official tool.You DON'T need to use the official MediaCreationTool which re-downloads Windows every time when you create an install USB drive.Also, you don't need the...
  3. Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer: Hello I'm aware that the W10 license is in some way tied to your hardware setup but I'd like to know if and how I can achieve the following. I've just bought a new PC from eBay which has a fresh W10 on a fast NMVE drive. My old PC (which I'll be giving to the kids) has W10...
  4. Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer

in Windows 10 Support
    Complex(?) W10 licensing question - 2PCs, 2 licenses, need to transfer: Hello I'm aware that the W10 license is in some way tied to your hardware setup but I'd like to know if and how I can achieve the following. I've just bought a new PC from eBay which has a fresh W10 on a fast NMVE drive. My old PC (which I'll be giving to the kids) has W10...
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?: I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I have read that Jump list files are located in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and in...
  7. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  8. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade. Clicking Custom and then...
  9. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...