Windows 10: License Questions

Discus and support License Questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. First time here, in the 10 forums. When I was at the University, I got access to download and use Windows 7 Pro and also Windows 8.1 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by krafty, Jan 3, 2016.

1. krafty Win User

License Questions

Hi there.
    First time here, in the 10 forums.

When I was at the University, I got access to download and use Windows 7 Pro and also Windows 8.1 Pro for free, from a program called DreamSpark. I have original keys and what have you. Last night, I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD. The Windows 8.1 Pro product key from DreamSpark worked fine. Windows 10 activated automatically as well.

Recently at work, I have been told by a distributor that Microsoft ONLY CONSIDERS non-pirated software, those who present an invoice of purchase - which is not the case with DreamSpark. From what I've read in that time, when I downloaded Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, DreamSpark free software access granted lifetime use of the software to the student. That means, basically, my copy of Windows is genuine.

Now, I don't understand one bit when a vendor tells me that only ACTUAL PURCHASE INVOICES are the ONLY WAY to prove that it's your software! Been told that no keys, no stickers, no serials, all of this are virtual to Microsoft.

So, what do you guys think. Am I eligible to upgrade to Windows 10?

:)

krafty, Jan 3, 2016

2. License Question

Hello, I am running a test VM with a Windows 10 MSDN license key. I want to be able to let a few of our customers access to the machine for demonstration purposes. What license do I need to obtain if any?

MarcPilarczyk, Jan 3, 2016
  3. License Question

This question is outside the scope of this site (for consumers) and to be sure you get the best answer it should be asked either on Technet (for IT Pro's) or MSDN (for developers)

Technet forumss/en-US/home

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum

If you give us a link to the new thread we can point some resources to it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

License Questions

Why suddenly the concern ?
    You have already done the free upgrade to Win 10 and activated successfully with the Win 8.1 Pro key.

Being a "distributor" does not automatically make him/her the pundit of the subject matter.
    You already proved you were able to do it.

davidhk, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Saltgrass Win User
    I agree your vendor may be trying to create additional sales or referring to a corporate environment.

I don't ever remember Microsoft asking me for some voucher to activate a License. If there is a problem with your situation, Microsoft has allowed the install and it is legal unless they tell you it isn't. Right now Microsoft is trying to get every computer they can to switch over to Windows 10, so there are probably quite a few allowances being made.

Saltgrass, Jan 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Distributor was full of you-know-what.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2016
  7. krafty Win User
    So it's all good then.
    I get the idea of VARs pushing for more sales.
    However, I have been told by an attendant at Microsoft Brazilian subsidiary themselves, that the factual invoices of purchases are the only thing to actually tell your licensed to use the software - for instance: If I buy a FPP product, if I lose the purchase invoice, I'm illegally using the software, despite having the genuine keys and media box. This may be an issue within the company, regarding licenses, varying according to countries. Those situations certainly violate DreamSpark scenarios, because they offer a lot of stuff over those channels. Who knows...

krafty, Jan 5, 2016
  8. License Questions

A legal license is a legal license and doesn't always come with any type of paperwork. You obtained your license legally, and are using it within the terms of the license itself. Nothing to worry about.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

License Questions

1. License Questions - Similar Threads - License Questions

2. My question is about using a Windows 11 enterprise 50 user license MAK product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about using a Windows 11 enterprise 50 user license MAK product key: I have eight computers. I currently have a 20 user license for Windows 10 enterprise. I have one computer set up as a clone station. I continually upgrade my clone on this computer, and then I make copies of the clone, install the new clone in another computer, and then I...
  3. My question is about using a Windows 11 enterprise 50 user license MAK product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My question is about using a Windows 11 enterprise 50 user license MAK product key: I have eight computers. I currently have a 20 user license for Windows 10 enterprise. I have one computer set up as a clone station. I continually upgrade my clone on this computer, and then I make copies of the clone, install the new clone in another computer, and then I...
  4. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  5. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  6. Windows 11 License Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 License Question: Good evening, so I am going to build a new PC under the same email I have my windows 11 license activated to. However, the old PC will still be in use by another email account. Will this make me or the other person run into any problems? Or can I simply just buy another...
  7. Windows 11 License Question

Windows 11 License Question: Good evening, so I am going to build a new PC under the same email I have my windows 11 license activated to. However, the old PC will still be in use by another email account. Will this make me or the other person run into any problems? Or can I simply just buy another...
  8. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  9. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  10. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC