Windows 10: License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop

Discus and support License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My children (students) are in need of a newer laptop. I want to transfer the complete installation (system backup) of their current laptops to their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rebakker, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Rebakker Win User

License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop

My children (students) are in need of a newer laptop. I want to transfer the complete installation (system backup) of their current laptops to their new ones.

I bought one laptop (laptop A) with a 'Win 10 RTM Core OEMLicense transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop :DM' license (Windows 10 Home).

I want to transfer the system backup of laptop B ('Win 8.1 RTM Core OEMLicense transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop :DM' license which is upgraded to a 'Win 10 RTM Education Retail') to laptop A.

And I want to transfer the system backup of laptop C ('Win 8 RTM Core OEMLicense transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop :DM' license which is also upgraded to a 'Win 10 RTM Education Retail') to laptop B.

How can I perform the (re)activation or other license concerns with this transfer of the system backup?

Or if the OEM product keys are tied to the original laptops, how do I change the OEM product key of laptop A after system backup recovery to it's original 'Win 10 RTM Core OEMLicense transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop :DM' and keep the 'Win 10 RTM Education Retail' upgrade ?

:)

Rebakker, Aug 9, 2018
  2. Vehemos Win User

Transferring Win10 License from Retail to OEM

So I just bought a new ASUS Laptop (64bit) with FreeDOS in it. I have a pirated copy of win7 ultimate 64bit (With OEM license) lying around so I installed it just to see how it goes. I know that pirated copies are eligible for 30 Day trial win10 upgrade.
    I have another HP 32 bit laptop with win10 Pro already installed and activated and it had a retail version of win7. I no longer need the HP laptop so I wanted to transfer its Win10 License to my ASUS laptop which will have the trial version. I read somewhere
    that OEM licensed laptops will invalidate my win10 license, Can transferring the retail version of win10 from HP to OEM ASUS work fine?

~Thank You

Vehemos, Aug 9, 2018
  3. OEM or Retail and Why? How to transfer License?

The retail license is the best value.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

To determine if your computer came preinstalled with a OEM Windows 7 license, look for the COA sticker.

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop 5c369c11-0687-430d-84f7-55af14b49b8f.gif

Andre Da Costa, Aug 9, 2018
  4. License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop

OEM or Retail and Why? How to transfer License?

The retail license is the best value.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

To determine if your computer came preinstalled with a OEM Windows 7 license, look for the COA sticker.

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop d5547d75-aae8-45ba-9767-a91fa476abfa.gif

Andre Da Costa, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop

1. License transfer from OEM/Edu retail to new laptop - Similar Threads - License transfer OEM

2. Cannot transfer a full retail digital license to a new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot transfer a full retail digital license to a new laptop: I bought 4 years back a full retail digital license for WIN10 PRO for a PC that i had from Microsoft Store. This PC suddenly died and i had not the chance to deactivate Windows.I bought a new laptop and install Win11 PRO and logged in with my Microsoft account hoping somehow...
  3. Cannot transfer a full retail digital license to a new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot transfer a full retail digital license to a new laptop: I bought 4 years back a full retail digital license for WIN10 PRO for a PC that i had from Microsoft Store. This PC suddenly died and i had not the chance to deactivate Windows.I bought a new laptop and install Win11 PRO and logged in with my Microsoft account hoping somehow...
  4. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  5. Retail license transfer

Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  6. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  7. Is my license retail or OEM

Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  8. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Transfer OEM license to new notebook?

Transfer OEM license to new notebook?: Hello, I have/had a toshiba qosmio X70-B-11D notebook.Which jsut stopped working and doesnt even boot anymore.However the internal harddrive seems unharmed and the files on it undamagedI can access them on another computer after turning it into an external hard driveso I...
  10. My license changed from RETAIL to OEM

My license changed from RETAIL to OEM: Hi! I have had my acer laptop for several years now. It was with Win 8 system, but I upgraded it for free to Win 10. I recently bought a new laptop, so I wanted to know whether I can move my Windows license. To do this I checked type of license on acer slmgr -dli and it was...