Windows 10: License Transfer question

Discus and support License Transfer question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new HP envy 17.3" laptop that came with W8.1. I have upgraded to W10. I also have an older laptop, Toshiba Satellite P755/P750 that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Conor1974 Win User

License Transfer question

I have a new HP envy 17.3" laptop that came with W8.1. I have upgraded to W10.

I also have an older laptop, Toshiba Satellite P755/P750 that previously had W7 but was upgraded with a retail version of W8 then updated to W8.1. This was the Pro edition.

I upgraded to W10 before I purchased the new laptop. Once I had the new laptop I wanted to try and move the Pro license to the new laptop but it would not transfer as the new OS was OEM. I was told by MS to reinstall W8.1 from their website, upgrade to the latest version of 8.1 then upgrade to 10. Seems like an awful lot of work.

Can I update the OEM W10 by purchasing a new license and how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks,
    Conor

:)

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  2. SarahKong Win User

My CPU is having some issues and I am have been given a new CPU. I would be going from an fx4350 to an fx8350 will there be any issues with windows.

What is your question?

If you are asking about transferring a license look at the link below.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

SarahKong, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Transfer Win 10 license to a new PC

Hello,

I bought a new PC and read that I can transfer my Windows 10 license to it and I have a few questions.

Few years ago I used Win 7 Pro license to install my two PC's.

When FREE update came I upgraded both of them to Windows 10 x64 PRO.

Yesterday I assembled a new PC which will replace one of them and I want to transfer the license to it from the one it is replacing.

The question is if I transfer the activation license will I lose the activation on the second PC or not?

What are the steps to do the actual license transfer?

Vladimir Jelovac, Aug 4, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

Retail Pro edition will cost around 199 USD (less TAX) probably more in Europe where you have to add on those wallet busting 20% or more VAT taxes.

I'd just go for a re-install of your previous licence - apply the fixes and then upgrade via Media creation tool -- all FREE.

Ensure you activate the PREVIOUS OS and have all the latest updates applied before doing the W10 upgrade.

It shouldn't be all that much work. - Of course had you kept a backup image of your previous OS it would have been really simple.

Depends on whether saving 200 USD or more is worth it to you -- plus you need to source the W10 pro retail edition - might not be so easy.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 4, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Honestly I would do what MS suggests. It may seem like a lot of work but if you went to purchase a copy of Win10 Pro(retail) from say Amazon it would cost about 199 Dollars US. Or about 119 for the Home Edition.

HTH

BunnyJ, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Conor1974 Win User
    There is a recovery partition on the new laptop so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

License Transfer question :)

Conor

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  7. sn00ker Win User
    I would just do an recovery and restore back to factory setting, afterwards update your new laptop with Microsoft update site and once all the updates are done you should see an icon to upgrade to 10 . Does your new laptop have windows 8.1 home version and now you want it to be windows 10 pro ?

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Conor1974 Win User

Yes, that's exactly right. I was told I couldn't do it this way as its an OEM version.

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  9. sn00ker Win User
    You can if you buy the upgrade license key from Microsoft , which its call pro pack . I believe you will have to pay around $100, If your cool with that ? Afterwards I can tell you what best to do , if interested ? Truthfully if you want 10 pro on the new laptop I would look for windows 8.1 pro pack upgrade and install that, then do the free upgrade to 10 pro from microsoft, it will probably be cheaper that way . Don't forget once you have the 10 pro install ? if you ever need to reinstall 10 pro it will just be using the windows 10 pro disk and you wouldn't have to start from 8 again

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  10. Conor1974 Win User
    So I found this on the MS website.

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    • Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    • Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
      • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
        Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
      • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
    • Enter your product key and click Next.
    • Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Would this be the way to do it? And would it matter that this would be the US version and not UK?

Thanks
      Conor

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  11. sn00ker Win User
    It is the way to go but are you in the UK ?

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  12. Conor1974 Win User
    Yes I'm in the UK.

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  13. sn00ker Win User

So once you restore your new laptop back to factory setting just do as it suggest in your post number 8 and it should take you to Microsoft UK website since it should see it copy of 8 home is from there ... You did buy the laptop in the UK, right ?

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Conor1974 Win User
    Yes it was bought in the UK. *Smile

Conor1974, Aug 4, 2015
  15. sn00ker Win User
    I can't guarantee it but once you restore your laptop back to factory setting and do the upgrade to pro pack it might even ask if you want to go from 8 home to 10 pro, who knows until you try to see for yourself, but one thing is for sure it will allow you to buy the windows 8.1 upgrade pro pack which is what I would buy if I wanted 10 pro and afterwards upgrade to 10 pro free

PS : One last mention I would take which ever is cheaper unless its only a few dollars . I mean 8.1 home to 10 pro or 8.1 home to 8.1 pro

sn00ker, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

1. License Transfer question - Similar Threads - License Transfer question

2. Transfer license to new computer -practical questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license to new computer -practical questions: I am in the process of building a new computer. The computer I currently have will be given to my wife.I want her computer to be as clean as possible, i.e. all accounts and files removed so that when she boots the computer for the first time it seems "as new". With my new...
  3. Transfer license to new computer -practical questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer license to new computer -practical questions: I am in the process of building a new computer. The computer I currently have will be given to my wife.I want her computer to be as clean as possible, i.e. all accounts and files removed so that when she boots the computer for the first time it seems "as new". With my new...
  4. Windows 10 license transfer question

Windows 10 license transfer question: Hi,I've got a question regarding Windows licensing. I currently have a Windows 10 Home OEM license on my laptop and want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro edition from Microsoft Store. If I get another PC, can I transfer this Pro license from my laptop to the new PC, or is it...
  5. Windows 10 license transfer question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 license transfer question: Hi,I've got a question regarding Windows licensing. I currently have a Windows 10 Home OEM license on my laptop and want to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro edition from Microsoft Store. If I get another PC, can I transfer this Pro license from my laptop to the new PC, or is it...
  6. Windows 10 license transfer question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. question about license transfer to another pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    question about license transfer to another pc.: I have activated my pc with windows 10 retail. I bought it from microsoft. My question is if I take out my ssd on which i have windows 10 installed and put it into another pc would windows 10 license get automatically transfered to that pc as well?I dont want the license to...
  8. Windows 10 Home license Transfer question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Home license Transfer question: So i built my pc about a year ago and since then i've been running the free windows 10 install offered by microsoft (which includes the watermark), even now the full windows 10 fee is a hard pill to swallow but its tempting for the customization options and the removal of the...
  9. Transfer license question

Transfer license question: I currently have a retail version of Windows 10 Pro. I have my digital license connected to my Microsoft account. If I want to transfer to a new PC, would I have to deactivate my product key on my old PC in order to use it on the new one?...
  10. Question about transferring license

Question about transferring license: One of my PCs, which I built myself, originally ran Windows 7, which I later updated to Windows 10 while it was still available as a free download. This PC has now reaching end of life and I'm wondering if there will be any issues using the same product key on a new computer....