Windows 10: Licensing Question - Before I Buy

Discus and support Licensing Question - Before I Buy in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; It's unclear to me exactly how the licensing works with my product key if I purchase Windows 10. 1: Will I be able to install and use my product key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by H55, Oct 28, 2015.

1. H55
    H55 Win User

Licensing Question - Before I Buy

It's unclear to me exactly how the licensing works with my product key if I purchase Windows 10.

1: Will I be able to install and use my product key on both my desktop and laptop without restriction?

2: Will I have to purchase another product key when I decide or have to build a new pc?

I apologize if this has been answered, I was unable to find a clear cut answer.

:)

2. Questions before i buy the E6

Never mind - I found it.

To change the mapping of three hardware buttons (Calendar, Contacts, Messaging) use:

• Settings
    • Phone
    • One-touch keys
    It helps if you know what to look for - "One-touch Keys" is not obvious at all, especially because they have two modes - a short press does one thing and "press-and-hold" does something else. That's not "one-touch" in my book, but what do I know?

And I was going to write down where I found it in the user guide, but I can't find it again.

On a completely new point, I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of notification lights when they receive an email. Apparently it's just switched off by default and you can put it on again. Again, it's

• Settings
    • Phone
    • Notification lights
    I must say the User Guide is much better than the N97's, but it's really, really hard to find anything useful in it. I mean, shouldn't "configuring the one touch keys" be under Personalisation? Or Phone? Or Device Management? I seriously can't find it again
    in any of the obvious places.

typothecary, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Questions before i buy the E6

My meny contain 5 folders were I have put my applications as sorted for my needs...as can be seen on other screen shots,

I use these folders on my screens in some cases, such as the daily applications for example.

I now can see the trees in the forest...

Scr000006.jpg

Ztuka---01, Oct 28, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

OOPs. You can only use Win 10 on one machine. If you have three machines and they all have a copy of Win 7, 8 or 8.1 then you can upgrade all of them for free. If you purchase a new machine, chances are it will comwe with Win 10 pre installed.

5. H55
    H55 Win User
    Not if your current OS is not legitimate....

6. Gary Win User
    Sorry I will not discuss this.

7. H55
    H55 Win User
    You brought it up, refer to my original post.

I am asking about a legitimate purchased copy of Windows 10...

Also, I could have just said I am thinking of converting from Linux....

8. H55
    H55 Win User

So, if I decide to upgrade to newer generation hardware and build a new pc, I have to repurchase?

9. Gary Win User
    Nowhere in the OP does it say you are using a non legitimate OS and I did not bring it up.

10. H55
    H55 Win User
    My mistake, you went off topic and I gave an incorrect reply.

You still haven't clearly answered my original questioning.

If I buy windows 10 and install+activate, then decide to upgrade to next gen hardware by building a new pc (not purchasing a pre built and installed), will I have to repurchase Windows 10?

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello H55, *Smile

You can only use a product key to activate one installed Windows 10.

You would need a separate product key per installation to be legal.

If you build a new system on the same computer, then you can install and activate the same Windows 10 on it since the other installation is no longer installed.

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  12. H55
    H55 Win User
    So if I decide to do the right thing, and legally purchase at great expense, I'm unable to upgrade hardware or change devices?

This appears highly unusable and uninviting as someone who upgrades their hardware often and is building new desktops.

13. Gary Win User

No, sorry I did not go off topic.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You will be able to reinstall if you upgrade the hardware since you would only have it activated on one PC.

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    NO, if you purchase a retail license (as you've proposed), you are free to use that license on only one machine at a time, regardless of how you may change or upgrade that ONE machine or whether you uninstall from one machine and install it on another. You're talking about buying a retial single use license - single means single. It's more flexible and valuable than a manufacturer's installed OEM license which is only good for the life of that one machine the manufacturer assembled and installed an OEM license on as part of the assembly.

EDIT - my answer was a little longwinded, hence Brink's summary answer beat me to it.*Wink

Word Man, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Licensing Question - Before I Buy - Similar Threads - Licensing Question Before

2. Buying a license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Buying a license: Where can I buy a license or a key for the Russian version of Windows 11 while living in Israel. Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buying-a-license/83053399-8251-44ba-98e0-31719f649aba
  3. Buying a license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buying a license: Where can I buy a license or a key for the Russian version of Windows 11 while living in Israel. Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/buying-a-license/83053399-8251-44ba-98e0-31719f649aba
  4. Will I have to buy a new license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  5. Will I have to buy a new license?

Will I have to buy a new license?: My husband's computer was borked due to the combination of a Windows Update and a bad disk drive. I am having to totally replace the drive that had Windows installed on it, and reinstall Windows 11. Am I going to have to buy a whole new license or is there a way to use his...
  6. The Question about Buying a Windows 11 license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Question about Buying a Windows 11 license: Hi. Tell me, is it possible to buy a Digital license for Windows 11 Home in the Store app if I have a laptop without an operating system, brand new and plan to install Windows 11, or would it be illegal in this case?...
  7. The Question about Buying a Windows 11 license

The Question about Buying a Windows 11 license: Hi. Tell me, is it possible to buy a Digital license for Windows 11 Home in the Store app if I have a laptop without an operating system, brand new and plan to install Windows 11, or would it be illegal in this case?...
  8. Buy License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Buy License: My laptop was running on Windows 10 Home with a digital license. The laptop suddenly stopped working. I had to replace the hard disk and thereafter installed Windows 10 Pro. I am trying to buy Windows 10 Pro license from Microsoft Store. The section for entering payment...
  9. Is this license safe to buy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is this license safe to buy?: https://digibeyk.com/products/microsoft-windows-10-professional-win-10-pro-license-code-key-original-new-1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-license-safe-to-buy/a79a038c-41d7-40f5-94d7-79ddcc214c69"
  10. Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM: Hi! I am new to this forum, so at first I would like to say "Hello" to everyone. Then I would like to ask some questions if possible: 1. In case I buy a copy of Windows 10 OEM from a local reseller, who sells a "Hungarian" version of the OS in my country (maybe just...