Windows 10: Lightroom 6 freezes

Discus and support Lightroom 6 freezes in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use Windows 10 on my two Toshiba laptops (R700 and R930) and almost everything is running excellent. I have one problem though - if I start Adobes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Leicakillen, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Lightroom 6 freezes

I use Windows 10 on my two Toshiba laptops (R700 and R930) and almost everything is running excellent. I have one problem though - if I start Adobes Lightroom 6 it freezes when I try to use the development module. I have tried numerous proposals to avoid this, including un-checking use of graphic processor. The only method that so far works is to start the program as administrator - then everything is running fine. I can live with this, but I think something is wrong...
    Does anyone have an idea what is behind this?
    Thanks for every good comment...
    Regards,
    /Anders

:)

Leicakillen, Aug 26, 2015

2. Lightroom Crashes

Adobe Lightroom 6 freezes on opening in Win 10. Adobe has been no help. I have disabled the graphics adapter as a trial on bmy new Lenono Yoga 900. No good.

christopher hassell, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Adobe Lightroom ^ Crashes

Adobe Lightroom 6 freezes on opening in Win 10. Adobe has been no help. I have disabled the graphics adapter as a trial on bmy new Lenono Yoga 900. No good.

christopher hassell, Aug 26, 2015
  4. sygnus21 Win User

Lightroom 6 freezes

Hi Leicakillen,

I started a thread over at DP Review on this issue - LR CC Crash and possible fix. See if anything there helps. Also, go to your laptop vendor's website and look for the latest video drivers for your system(s).

BTW when you say you have LR6 do you mean the stand alone version, or the Creative version?

Let us know.

sygnus21, Aug 26, 2015
  5. Thanks for the link - many report about this problems on many different systems, Mac and PC etc. I am surprised Adobe has not done anything officially about this. Based on this thread I have unistalled C++ and Lightroom, restarted, installed again - but encounter the same problem - I have to launch the program as administrator. I use the stand alone (6 not CC) version of Lightroom.
    Thanks for the reply. Below is the Systeminfo from Lightroom 6.1.1. Why does it say Windows 8.1??? - I run 10!
    /Anders

Lightroom version: 6.1.1 [ 1032027 ]
    License: Perpetual
    Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition
    Version: 6.3 [9600]
    Application architecture: x64
    System architecture: x64
    Logical processor count: 4
    Processor speed: 2,9 GHz
    Built-in memory: 16262,1 MB
    Real memory available to Lightroom: 16262,1 MB
    Real memory used by Lightroom: 358,3 MB (2,2%)
    Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 302,0 MB
    Memory cache size: 57,8 MB
    Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2
    Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
    System DPI setting: 96 DPI
    Desktop composition enabled: Yes
    Displays: 1) 1366x768
    Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Check OpenGL support: Passed
    Vendor: Intel
    Version: 3.3.0 - Build 10.18.10.4252
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 10.18.10.4252

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
    Library Path: C:\Users\Anders\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
    Settings Folder: C:\Users\Anders\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
    1) Canon Tether Plugin
    2) Leica Tether Plugin
    3) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 8086
    D

Leicakillen, Aug 27, 2015
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    I'm not sure why you're having such issues as Lightroom is very compatible with Windows 10. With that, some questions...

• I see this is the stand-alone version (boxed) of LR 6. where did you get it from?
    • Has it been licensed with Adobe?
    • Are you patching it (Lightroom)? Adobe has come out with several patches since I made that post at DPR.
    • Are you an administrator on that machine in question?
    • What version of Windows 10 are you running?
    • Is it still the trial version?

It would be very helpful to have all those questions answered.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Thanks very much for your reply!
    1. I have bought LR 6 (not the CC) from Adobe, I have the serial numbers, is licensed and I have an Adobe account. Before LR 6 I used LR 4 and 5 with W 7 without any problems on the same laptop (Toshiba Portege R930).
    2. Patching - not sure what you mean, the version I run is the updated version LR 6. Lightroom version: 6.1.1 [ 1032027 ]License: Perpetual Graphics Processor Info: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Please note : Graphic processor acceleration is disabled!!
    3. I am the administrator of this laptop.
    4. Windows 10 version is 10.0.10240 build 10240, updated from W7.
    Apart from this Lightroom issue - everything else is running very well with W10 on this Toshiba!

Can you make anything out of this?? I would be most grateful!

Best regards
    /Anders

Leicakillen, Aug 27, 2015
  8. sygnus21 Win User

Lightroom 6 freezes

Again, I'm not sure what's going on. And you definitely should not have to run any Adobe products in "Admin mode". This is not normal.

And as stated, LR6 is definitely compatible with Windows 10 as quite a number of us over at DP Review have discussed it and any possible issues. Outside the issue I posted about with regards to graphic card drivers and GPU acceleration under LR, which it seems Adobe has patched, there appears to be no other issues. I myself an using Windows 10 and both LR6 and PS6 without issue.

I will however add that I'm running both PS6 & LR6 Creative Cloud versions and there are some slight differences as the cloud versions get added features the stand-alone versions don't get. However the base versions are the same.

With all that said, try this.... Download Microsoft's Visual C++ Redistributable package and install it. In fact what I prefer you to do is uninstall Lightroom (LR) first. Install the C++ package, re-boot, install LR and see what happens.

Let us know.

sygnus21, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Dear sygnus21,
    I have unistalled LightR and Visual C++, restarted the laptop, installed C++, rebooted, installed LR - but the same pattern occurs, I can use the program as administrator but not without this option....
    Thanks for your replies,
    /Anders

Leicakillen, Aug 28, 2015
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    Well I don't know what going on because that's not supposed to be happening.

BTW I never asked you to uninstall C++. In fact I would have preferred you not do that. I'm also reading what you didn't say? So, did you in fact download the C++ package I linked to and install it???

Help me help you.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Aug 28, 2015
  11. Rudy Mas Win User
    I had the same thing happening to me, but this also happend in Windows 8.1.

I fixed it by disabling the GPU support in Lightroom. Try this, and if LR doesn't crash anymore, then you know it has something to do with the settings of your graphical card.

I have an AMD card in my system, and I had to change some settings to make it work. (The things mentioned in the posted link in a previous message.)

Look in the settings of your graphical card if you can find anything resembling:

Frame Rate Control
    Wait for Vertical Refresh -> "Always on"
    OpenGL Triple Buffering -> "On"

If you can't find anything about this in your settings, just disable GPU support for now.

Rudy Mas, Aug 28, 2015
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    That was already suggested when I posted in post #2.

Also, they wouldn't have those particular settings since they have an Intel chipset - HD 4000. And yeah it was suggested to disable GPU acceleration as well. However, it would help if the poster let us know if they in fact tried them.

Anyway please keep providing suggestions as you may see something I'm missing.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Aug 28, 2015
  13. Lightroom 6 freezes

- I have tried running the program with and without enabling GPU acceleration which can be done in the Preference/performance section in LR. This does not help or change anything - the program freezes when I run it the "normal" way - i.e. not as an administrator. If I run it as administrator I can either have this enabled or not - both works. Please note that I do not have an AMD card.
    - The link to the Visual C++ updates does not work for me - the download does not start. However - a number of versions of Visual C++ redistributable are installed from 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013. One of these packages comes with the LR installation.
    - I just checked with my older Windows 7 disk - and here LR starts and runs normally.
    Thanks for any help...
    Regards
    /Anders

Leicakillen, Aug 29, 2015
  14. no1yak Win User
    Try posting your problem on Lightroomforums.net They have a avast amount of experience in all things Lightroom. I also run LR 6.1.1 without any problems in win 10.

Have you tried taking ownership of the LR folder? C:\Users(your Name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom You should have full control (you the user)along with System and Administrators in the LR folder properties, Securities tab. Ownership default should be Administrators in the advanced tab.
    It's worth a look.

Pete.

no1yak, Aug 29, 2015
  15. Thanks Pete, good idea. I have checked the ownership of the relevant files, seem to be ok (same rights for user and administrator). I have posted a question on the LR-forum, I hope to get some help from there.
    Regards
    /Anders

Leicakillen, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

Lightroom 6 freezes

1. Lightroom 6 freezes - Similar Threads - Lightroom freezes

2. How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to...: How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to install it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-lightroom-adobe-on-windows-10-i/88df5416-e3b3-4404-990e-aa08ca6a8d5a
  3. How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to...: How do i install lightroom adobe on windows 10? I have an HP i5 laptop not sure how to install it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-lightroom-adobe-on-windows-10-i/88df5416-e3b3-4404-990e-aa08ca6a8d5a
  4. Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and...: Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and must be uninstalled? Creative Cloud Desktop is installed and all Adobe apps are up to date....
  5. Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and...

Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and...: Why does Windows 11 when upgrading from 10 tell me Adobe Lightroom is not compatible and must be uninstalled? Creative Cloud Desktop is installed and all Adobe apps are up to date....
  6. How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive: I would like to move either subfolders Lightroom Catalog in Pictures or the whole Pictures folder to a local only folder in C: directory. When I try to do this, I get an error message. If I try the same process on the subfolders, I do not get the option of Location. How do I...
  7. How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive

How to move Lightroom Classic folders within Pictures to a local only folder not in one drive: I would like to move either subfolders Lightroom Catalog in Pictures or the whole Pictures folder to a local only folder in C: directory. When I try to do this, I get an error message. If I try the same process on the subfolders, I do not get the option of Location. How do I...
  8. I have a P700 Epson printer and I cannot set custom ICC profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop...

I have a P700 Epson printer and I cannot set custom ICC profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop...: Colors are correct with prints from my mac laptop in all cases and if I opt for "printer driver managed colors" or draft mode in windows. It's like the applications cannot communicate the custom print/paper ICC profile to the printer driver. I have tried to set ICC manually...
  9. I have a P700 Epson printer and I cannot set custom ICC profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a P700 Epson printer and I cannot set custom ICC profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop...: Colors are correct with prints from my mac laptop in all cases and if I opt for "printer driver managed colors" or draft mode in windows. It's like the applications cannot communicate the custom print/paper ICC profile to the printer driver. I have tried to set ICC manually...
  10. I have a P700 Epson printer and I cannot set custom ICC profiles in Lightroom, Photoshop...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lightroom 6 freezes on startup