Windows 10: Lightscribe Drive won't write labels

Discus and support Lightscribe Drive won't write labels in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just in case y'all were bored, here's an oldie but a (maybe) goodie........... Normal PC that was running win 7 Pro. Had an HP 1260 Lightscribe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GracieAllen, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Lightscribe Drive won't write labels

Just in case y'all were bored, here's an oldie but a (maybe) goodie...........

Normal PC that was running win 7 Pro. Had an HP 1260 Lightscribe drive. Burned CDs, DVDs AND Lightscribe labels... Worked perfectly. Worked for years. I know how to use it.

Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro. Concurrently, my hp 1260 died and I bought a TSST L632M USB Lightscribe drive. I plug is into a USB port AND IT WORKS. It burns CDs. It burns DVDs. It does NOT burn Lightscribe labels. Drive is clearly marked "Lightscribe". The Internet SAYS it's a Lightscribe drive.

The Lightscribe service is running. The Lightscribe Control Panel SAYS IT'S THERE. The DISK is a TDK and clearly marked "Lightscribe". As near as I can tell, it should work.

The Lightscribe template labeler goes through the WHOLE process of "writing" with the animation showing the text being written. BUT, the drive LED never flashes, and nothing gets written.

I tried it on a SECOND machine - one running Win 10 HOME. Same result. Unfortunately, I've upgraded all four PCs to either Win 10 Pro or Win 10 Home, so I no longer have a Win 7 PC to try the drive on.

Any ideas on WHY this thing won't do what it's clearly marked to do? Driver of some sort? Bad karma?

:)

GracieAllen, Sep 7, 2015

2. LightScribe software for Windows 10

I believe you can use those disks and any burnable CD or DVD, you just can't use the Lightscribe to write on the inkjet printable side.

Basically a Lightscribe disk is a burnable on both sides, but the label side gets burned in a pattern you can see. (Vs standard that you burn on 1 side and write or print on the other).

It can take longer to create the Lightscribe label then burning the disk side, but looks great Vs a handwritten label & won't come off like a CD label would & foul up your drive when the label starts to un-adhere.

Maybe someday they will make a comeback.

Hubba Bubba, Sep 7, 2015
  3. auggy Win User
    CD-DVD writer (originally the E: drive) not recognized after installing Windows 10 Pro.

You're welcome.

If you need Lightscribe software there is a download in the following link from Pawtec who still provide external Lightscribe drives:

LightScribe Download | Pawtec

The Lightscribe System Software should install as is but the applications such as the Simple Labeler may need to be installed in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

auggy, Sep 7, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Lightscribe Drive won't write labels

bobkn, Sep 7, 2015
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Strange, my lightscribe in my HP still works fine in Windows 10 Pro. Its from 2009. Still able to use the same software that was installed in 2009. I use it everytime I make a backup or any other kind of DVD. So lightscribe can work and run under Windows 10 Pro without any problems. Wish I could tell you how to fix it, but I've never had any problem with it before or after the upgrade. Good luck.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    One more thing about your new lightscribe drive, it should show the lightscribe symbol ON the FRONT of your burner!! I don't care what the internet says, if it supports lightscribe the symbol should be displayed on the front of the burner.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  7. bmetelsky Win User
    I'm also using a usb lightscribe drive and it works fine on Windows 10 home. I think it actually works a little better - doesn't seem to take as long to burn the label. Perhaps your drive just gave up the ghost?

bmetelsky, Sep 7, 2015
  8. Lightscribe Drive won't write labels

That's what I keep thinking too........ Yes, my drive DEFINITELY has a "Lightscribe" thing on the front. Exactly the way my old one did. I've tried both Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home. Neither will make the label. As I said, it doesn't even flash the LED...

I had one thought this morning - I'm going to try it with the POWER to the drive NOT coming from a USB port. I"ll use a plug-in supply... It SHOULDN'T make a bit of difference, but I'm gonna try it just to see...

Other than that, I'm out of ideas since the drive works PERFECTLY for putting data on the disk...

------- update ---------

OK, I tried different cables for both power and data. NO difference. Also tried pulling power from a power plug separate from the computer. Same result. The Lightscribe control panel says the drive is there and that it's a lightscribe drive. The Labeling software works. Everything (IN THEORY) should be fine. But, when I tell it to burn the label it never SEEMS to communicate with the drive.

Oh, and I'm using the most current (2013 I think) version of all the software - 1.18.27.10 for everything... Bizarre.

GracieAllen, Sep 7, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok, have you tried to Re-install your lightscribe software ??delete the one that's on your computer and re-install the software. I would think you can still find it on the internet, actually their is one site that sells a newer version for 20 bucks. I've had to re-install 3 or 4 apps all over again after updating to win 10.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  10. strollin Win User
    There is always the chance that you got a defective drive. You said you upgraded all of your machines to Win 10, any chance you have a friend with a Win 7 machine that would like you install the Lightscribe software on his machine and try burning a label? If it still doesn't work there then it could very well a defective drive.

If you can't try the drive on another machine, I would try returning the drive as defective to where you bought it and ask for an exchange. I would also consider trying a different brand of drive to see if that mattered.

strollin, Sep 7, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    This just could be the software and not the drive.....that's why I asked her to re-install the software. Strollin.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  12. Yes. I did a complete deletion of all the Lightscribe software and reinstalled. On the laptop I also tried, it had never HAD the Lightscribe software so that was a new install. I've also checked and I have ONE obvious service LightscribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service, and that's set to Automatic and it's running.

I just contacted Amazon after all the other fiddling I did this morning - I even took a DIFFERENT brand of Lightscribe disc (Memorex vs TDK) and tried that just to see if it was the disc.... They're contacting the seller to see if they'll send me an exchange. It's only about 4 days old (and I've been messing with it for 3) so we'll see....

Does ANYBODY know of any alternative software for doing the actual BURNING? Something that wouldn't rely on the Lightscribe labeling or system software at all?

BTW: I've also sent an email to the person that has the Lightscribe Toolbox available to see if they have any ideas. If they tell me their software will absolutely work, I may just buy it, although I'd prefer to use the original stuff if possible. Since I"m a photographer I don't need "Image and Graphics software" or the "CD/DVD Burning software" so I'm concerned that what they're selling for $20 is just the repackaged HP software for labeling and Lightscribe system software.

GracieAllen, Sep 7, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Ok Gracie, if you look up a few posts on this page you will see a link to the newest lightscribe software posted by bubkn. If you click on the link he provided for you, it will bring you to a page offering the newest version available 2013 from what I read, because HP no longer supports it. Think you will have 2 choices for downloads, one for the complete version, 2nd one to update your existing version. This is FREE.
    Now for a free burner software you have many choices out their, I use a program called ImgBurn just google it and you should find it easily. I am beginning to wonder if your original lightscribe drive is really broken? Strange that before you upgrade it was working fine, then after your upgrade it didn't. I have two HP computers built in 2009, both have lightscribe burners from 2009 both still work fine. Anyhow, best of luck to you. Mike.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Here is a link for ImgBurn. The Official ImgBurn Website When you log on that site scroll down to the bottom of web page and look for the file that says latest release v2.5.8.0 and download that one. Don't click on the big Green download button. smile.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  15. Yup, the version bobkn referenced IS the same 2013 version I've downloaded and installed more than once...
    Version: 1.18.27.10

File Name: LS_Update_1.18.27.10_.exe
    File Size: 11.70 MB
    Notes: Windows 8 OS classic (non-Metro UI)
    Release Date: 14 March 2013

And yes, the old drive is DEFINITELY broken - it wasn't a "won't write" problem, it was a physical failure in the drive unit... The door wouldn't open because the pressure disc on top that keeps things in place was broken... It had been getting worse for a while and finally died. Trust me, it was dead.

I heard from the seller at FireKingdom through Amazon. Unfortunately, we're now doing the stupid "show us the damage to the product" dance even though there's no physical damage... Complete with having to waste time taking PICTURES of the drive AND THE BOX...

I'll go pull the most recent version of imgburn, which I've used in the past, and see if it can actually write a label WITHOUT having to use any of the Lightscribe stuff... Off to play some MORE.

BTW: Is there someplace where I can find idiot-proof information on getting imgburn to take a jpg, png, or .lsl file and burn it to the disk as a lightscribe label? If necessary I can convert it to an .iso, but the imgburn forum doesn't appear to have anything about Lightscribe except ancient discussions about the death of it.

GracieAllen, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Lightscribe Drive won't write labels - Similar Threads - Lightscribe Drive won't

2. problem with C: drive label

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with C: drive label: I moved my music folder to my C drive and it has turned my whole C drive into a music folder with the music symbol and whenever I look at any of my files on the C drive it says composing artist and the Music things and I can’t change since when I move it it’s trying to move...
  3. problem with C: drive label

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with C: drive label: I moved my music folder to my C drive and it has turned my whole C drive into a music folder with the music symbol and whenever I look at any of my files on the C drive it says composing artist and the Music things and I can’t change since when I move it it’s trying to move...
  4. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  5. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  6. bitlocker drive label

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker drive label: My computer upgraded over the weekend and the bitlocker no longer works. It asks for the recovery key which I have but it looking for a desktop drive label that was not the original and is not listed on my microsoft account. None of the bitlocker keys on my account will...
  7. Flash Drive labeled as "No Media"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flash Drive labeled as "No Media": At one point, my 128gb flash drive just suddenly didn't appear and wouldn't work. I recently tried to fix it again, but I couldn't do it. The flash drive is recognized by disk management, but isn't showing up in the file explorer. Also, in the disk management and in diskpart,...
  8. Printer won't print Avery labels

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer won't print Avery labels: My Epson XP-830 printer has quit letting me print labels on my label paper. They will print on 8.5 x 11 paper. This just started & I don't know how to correct it. Turned my printer off & on, same with my computer. HELP!...
  9. Lightscribe on Windows 10

Lightscribe on Windows 10: Hello, Does anyone know any free Lightscribe programs that works on windows 10? If so, Please provide a download link! Thanks! 17162
  10. LightScribe Drive - Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    LightScribe Drive - Driver: Hello, I recently purchased a new computer initially it had Windows 8.1 now it's Windows 10. It's an HP Envy Phoenix 810qe. I still have some parts however from my old desktop computer which was an HP Pavilion m9200t, Windows 7 (upgraded from Vista). One of the parts I...