Windows 10: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 How to Limit Bandwidth to Download and Upload Windows and App Updates in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10

How to: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10

How to Limit Bandwidth to Download and Upload Windows and App Updates in Windows 10

Delivery Optimization has been synonymous with Peer-to-peer but few people are aware that it is also used as the main downloader for content downloaded from Windows Update and Windows Store. Delivery Optimization, even without P2P, is what makes downloads from Windows Store much faster as well as makes downloads of Quality and Feature updates far more reliable. While you can enable or disable the P2P functionality, Delivery Optimization is still used when downloading updates and apps directly from Microsofts content servers.

By default, Windows dynamically optimizes the amount of network bandwidth your device uses to download and upload other Microsoft products.

Delivery Optimization continuously measures your available bandwidth during a download and dynamically adjusts the amount of bandwidth used in background downloads to ensure these downloads wont interrupt your use of your device. However, Delivery Optimization may not be aware of download activity that takes place on other devices in your household. If you have limited connectivity and would like to minimize the impact you can now use the Download settings to throttle your download speed for background downloads.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16237, you can set a specific limit if you're worried about data usage.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17035, you can now limit the download bandwidth that is used in foreground downloads. Foreground downloads take place when you interactively start a download, for example you click on Check for updates or start downloading an App from Windows Store.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18917, Microsoft heard from users with very low connection speeds that setting download throttling as a percentage of available bandwidth isnt providing enough relief in reducing the impact on their network. Thats why Microsoft added a new option to throttle the bandwidth used by Delivery Optimization as an absolute value. You can set this separately for Foreground downloads (downloads that you initiate from Windows Store for example) or background downloads. This option already exists for IT Pros who use Group Policies or MDM policies to configure Delivery Optimization. In this build, Microsoft made it easier to set via the settings page.

This tutorial will show you how to limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading and uploading Windows and app updates on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to limit the bandwidth of Windows and app updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Settings
    • Option Two: Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Update on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced options link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Delivery Optimization link. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced options link. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you can click/tap on the Activity monitor link to see the overall bandwidth used in downloads of OS Updates including Feature and Quality updates as well as Store App downloads and updates on your device. You will also be able to see exactly the amount of data coming from other PCs on your local network or other PC on the Internet based on your settings.

Note that the data reflects the bandwidth used since the first day of the month.

5. You can now check (turn on) and adjust or uncheck (turn off - default) the download and upload settings below for what you want. (see screenshots below)
    • Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background
    • Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the foreground
    • Limit how much bandwidth is used for uploaded updates to other PCs on the Internet
    • Monthly upload limit
    6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Settings

3. Do the steps below for what you want to do.
    • step 4 (Limit bandwidth for downloading updates in background)
    • step 5 (Limit bandwidth for downloading updates in foreground)
    • step 6 (Limit bandwidth for uploaded updates to other PCs on Internet)
    • step 7 (Monthly upload limit)

4. Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background
    A) In the right pane of the Settings key, double click/tap on the DownloadRateBackgroundPct string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have a DownloadRateBackgroundPct string value (REG_SZ), then right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Settings key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type DownloadRateBackgroundPct, and press Enter.

Tip To turn off (default) this setting, right click or press and hold on the DownloadRateBackgroundPct string value (REG_SZ), click/tap on Delete, click/tap on Yes to confirm when prompted, and go to step 8 below.

B) Type in a number between 5 to 100 for the percentage of bandwidth you want to limit to be used for downloading updates in the background, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below.(see screenshot below)

5. Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the foreground
    A) In the right pane of the Settings key, double click/tap on the DownloadRateForegroundPct string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have a DownloadRateForegroundPct string value (REG_SZ), then right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Settings key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type DownloadRateForegroundPct, and press Enter.

Tip To turn off (default) this setting, right click or press and hold on the DownloadRateForegroundPct string value (REG_SZ), click/tap on Delete, click/tap on Yes to confirm when prompted, and go to step 8 below.

B) Type in a number between 5 to 100 for the percentage of bandwidth you want to limit to be used for downloading updates in the foreground, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below.(see screenshot below)

6. Limit how much bandwidth is used for uploaded updates to other PCs on the Internet
    A) In the right pane of the Settings key, double click/tap on the UpRatePctBandwidth string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have a UpRatePctBandwidth string value (REG_SZ), then right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Settings key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type UpRatePctBandwidth, and press Enter.

Tip To turn off (default) this setting, right click or press and hold on the UpRatePctBandwidth string value (REG_SZ), click/tap on Delete, click/tap on Yes to confirm when prompted, and go to step 8 below.

B) Type in a number between 5 to 100 for the percentage of bandwidth you want to limit to be used for uploading updates to other PCs on the Internet, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below.(see screenshot below)

7. Monthly upload limit
    A) In the right pane of the Settings key, double click/tap on the UploadLimitGBMonth string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have a UploadLimitGBMonth string value (REG_SZ), then right click on an empty area in the right pane of the Settings key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type UpRatePctBandwidth, and press Enter.

Tip To turn off (default) this setting, right click or press and hold on the UploadLimitGBMonth string value (REG_SZ), click/tap on Delete, click/tap on Yes to confirm when prompted, and go to step 8 below.

B) Type in a number between 5 to 500 for how many gigabytes (GB) you want to set as the monthly upload limit, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below.(see screenshot below)

8. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 20, 2017
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Oct 26, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows Store 10 cents deals

Change your region for Windows Store

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 Update

Shit, I used some doohickey to disable Win Store and remove some apps after installing Win 10 - now this update keeps failing to install.

ZeppMan217, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows update again with Get Windows 10 app

Well there are a lot of computers where Get Windows 10 doesn't work. Maybe the update was attempting to fix those problems.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Limit Bandwidth Update

2. Browsers bandwidth are limited

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browsers bandwidth are limited: I am currently running Windows 11 latest update. it's been a while since I have had this issue. It's kind of weird but my browser's bandwidth is somehow limited. my internet speed is around 3 to 7 MB/S yes I know the byte and bit difference . but I only get about 200 to 350...
  3. Browsers bandwidth are limited

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Browsers bandwidth are limited: I am currently running Windows 11 latest update. it's been a while since I have had this issue. It's kind of weird but my browser's bandwidth is somehow limited. my internet speed is around 3 to 7 MB/S yes I know the byte and bit difference . but I only get about 200 to 350...
  4. Limited wifi bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Limited wifi bandwidth: I am always downloading games on the box app for PC, and my wifi speed is always so low. I'm using ethernet 90/90 mbs but downloads only use 10mbs sometimes 11. How do I fix this?...
  5. Limited wifi bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Limited wifi bandwidth: I am always downloading games on the box app for PC, and my wifi speed is always so low. I'm using ethernet 90/90 mbs but downloads only use 10mbs sometimes 11. How do I fix this?...
  6. Cumulative and Feature Updates default bandwidth limited to 50%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cumulative and Feature Updates default bandwidth limited to 50%: Ever since Version 2004 or there abouts, I've noticed my CU downloads being throttled back to 50% even though I had set no limits under Settings > Update & Security > Delivery Optimization > Advanced Options > Download Settings. Naturally thinking the (●) Absolute bandwidth...
  7. Windows 10 - Bandwidth Limit - Windows Store & Xbox One S / X Slow Download Speed Fix - Update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 - Bandwidth Limit - Windows Store & Xbox One S / X Slow Download Speed Fix - Update.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Important-Ad1778 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4qr32/windows_10_bandwidth_limit_windows_store_xbox_one/
  8. How to avoid win 10 Update on limited WiFi bandwidth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to avoid win 10 Update on limited WiFi bandwidth: Please, can someone tell me how to avoid win 10 Update on limited WiFi bandwidth. My monthly Internet quota is limited to 5 GB of data. Most of it goes on win update. Is there a way to stop it? I have the basic version of win 10. Thanks in advance!...
  9. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth: Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7...
  10. Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates?

Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates?: I'm trying to understand exactly how this works in 1709. Here is the Setting Quote: "LIMIT HOW MUCH BANDWIDTH IS USED FOR DOWNLOADING UPDATES IN THE BACKGROUND" The reason is, when I first did a clean install I wanted to make the downloads go as fast as possible, so I set...