Windows 10: Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates?

Discus and support Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm trying to understand exactly how this works in 1709. Here is the Setting Quote: "LIMIT HOW MUCH BANDWIDTH IS USED FOR DOWNLOADING UPDATES IN THE... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by FunkMaster, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates?

I'm trying to understand exactly how this works in 1709. Here is the Setting Quote:
    "LIMIT HOW MUCH BANDWIDTH IS USED FOR DOWNLOADING UPDATES IN THE BACKGROUND"

The reason is, when I first did a clean install I wanted to make the downloads go as fast as possible, so I set it to 90%, and now am thinking I actually Limited it to 90% from 100% and defeated my attempt at downloading faster?

If I don't check this Box at all, will I get the Maximum Download Speed?

If I check the Box and set it to 100% will that use more Bandwidth than the Default Settings with the Box Unchecked?

Am I making sense at all here lol?

It is saying it will Limit the Bandwidth so I assume it will only limit and not exceed the Default Settings? Limiting to 30% would be using less bandwidth than 90% right?

Thanks,

:)

FunkMaster, Mar 20, 2018

2. Win 10 updates and Network bandwidth.

Hi,

On weekdays I have very limited bandwidth but at weekends I have unlimited bandwidth.

Can I set Windows 10 to only download updates when it detects a high bandwidth link ? If so, how do I set my limited bandwidth connection so it knows it's limited. ?

Thanks,

Graham.

Graham Keen_50, Mar 20, 2018
  3. svchost using all of bandwidth

Hi,

Svchost is essential in the implementation of so-called shared service processes, where a number of services can share a process in order to reduce resource consumption. To resolve your issue, we recommend setting a bandwidth limits for background downloads.

To set a bandwidth limits:

• First, select the Start, then select Settings.
    • Then, Update & security, then Advanced options.
    • Select Delivery Optimization.
    • Choose Advanced options.

Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates? [​IMG]

Select Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background. Then use the slider to set the percentage of available bandwidth used for background downloads. Lower values use less bandwidth but cause updates to be delivered
    more slowly.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Mar 20, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates?

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  5. @dalchina, thanks very much! I could not find that thread myself. I don't know if it answers my question yet but have bookmarked it for another read later. Question still unanswered?

1. What's Default 30% - 45% - 100% Why don't MS'ers tell us what default is RIGHT IN THE WINDOW? Un-Checking determines Default, but what is default?

2. Is there any benefit to choosing 100% and walking away from the pc to let it download quicker? Or if one has plenty of bandwidth is 100% going to interfere with normal browsing while downloads are in progress?

My pc don't even have the "Foreground" choice?

FunkMaster, Mar 20, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Checking determines Default, but what is default? - see the tutorial I mentioned- just that paragraph.

The whole issue only matters if update downloads happen whilst you're working and have a material affect on what you're doing. As I have Pro, and have updates set to Notify, updates and upgrades only download when I let them.

If your internet is limited in speed, or perhaps shared with others or other devices, then this becomes a useful tool. (Mine's 'only' 38Mb/s)

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  7. Ahh, I'll have to take a second look at my Pro Install also, to see how different it is. I forgot I had a Pro Install on one of my Laptops.
    Actually, I said"
    No, my internet is not limited, luckily I have 30-75Mbps. It always varies by the day or time that I check it. I see, and think this is just not what I think it is, or what it should be?

I read that link a few times, and it really don't tell me what I want to know, I guess it's assumed by MS that we know Exactly what is going on in the background, so that a somewhat simplistic set of directions will suffice.

Again, Un-Checking Determines Default as it says in your link, but what is Default? I presume Default is 100%, which equates to the full amount that MS has let Windows 10 use under what ever parameters they have decided. But if I have a super fast connection, it would be nice to allow it to use even more Bandwidth IMO. Some folks where I live have 100-120Mbps, or Gig Speeds, and if so, it would be nice to allow a faster download of Updates. I guess if one has super fast internet speeds the Bandwidth will increase by some pre-configured amount.

Now, it seems that at least now MS is making the Major Updates take far less time, so this is good. All in all it seems as though my Windows 7 machine Updates quicker.

Thanks for your help, I think I understand what is going on with it all now. I've never seen that MS makes things clear, and that is the problem for me here. They should note that setting the Bandwidth to 100% is same as default, and if it is not I surely don't get it? And, should point out What Default is? Maybe people want to choose something a little more or less than Default, but I see no mention of Default anywhere accept for Un-checking the Box. Geese, I feel like a Doctor, all these boxes I have to check.

FunkMaster, Mar 20, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

For interest from group policy:

Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates? [​IMG]

From the tutorial as noted above:
    By default, we're dynamically optimizing the amount of bandwidth
    your device uses to both download and upload Windows and app
    updates, and other Microsoft products. But you can set a specific
    limit if you're worried about data usage.

- which I read as 'there's no fixed default' - there's some algorithmic determination of what proportion of available bandwidth is used.

Comment on this from
    How to Limit Windows Updates Download Bandwidth on Windows 10
    Comment on this from
    Limit Windows Update Bandwidth in Windows 10

Windows Update has always used Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to download updates. BITS uses idle bandwidth to get them, so in theory, if you are actively using your internet for something else, the algorithm for downloading of updates should sense this and back off or lower its bandwidth consumption. However, due to the size and frequency of Windows 10 updates, this does not seem to actually work as well on the latest OS, compared to previous releases of Windows. Many users have been complaining that Windows 10 updates disrupt their online activities too much. The newly added option to control the bandwidth should appease some of these complaints.

dalchina, Mar 20, 2018
  9. Good stuff dalchina! I really liked that last quote as that is what I've seen working on client pc's. My pc's all seem to work okay, but mine are all Clean installs with no bloatware etc. Always looking for new ways to make this less of a problem. Sometimes when we start working on a computer, it just bogs down, and we're always trying to use some technique to stop this. With Wifi, using the Network Settings, or sometimes even just disabling in Services until we can get some work done.

Thanks again, this has cleared some things up for me

FunkMaster, Mar 20, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates? - Similar Threads - Limit much bandwidth

2. Browsers bandwidth are limited

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Browsers bandwidth are limited: I am currently running Windows 11 latest update. it's been a while since I have had this issue. It's kind of weird but my browser's bandwidth is somehow limited. my internet speed is around 3 to 7 MB/S yes I know the byte and bit difference . but I only get about 200 to 350...
  3. Browsers bandwidth are limited

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Browsers bandwidth are limited: I am currently running Windows 11 latest update. it's been a while since I have had this issue. It's kind of weird but my browser's bandwidth is somehow limited. my internet speed is around 3 to 7 MB/S yes I know the byte and bit difference . but I only get about 200 to 350...
  4. Download bandwidth limiting on Windows 11 on wired connection.

Download bandwidth limiting on Windows 11 on wired connection.: I have a gigabit optical internet connection, however, my windows laptop cannot get download bandwidth more than 11Mbps, while the upload is around 500Mbps. The weird part is that, when the laptop is connected to the same router that takes in optical cable over the WiFi,...
  5. Download bandwidth limiting on Windows 11 on wired connection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download bandwidth limiting on Windows 11 on wired connection.: I have a gigabit optical internet connection, however, my windows laptop cannot get download bandwidth more than 11Mbps, while the upload is around 500Mbps. The weird part is that, when the laptop is connected to the same router that takes in optical cable over the WiFi,...
  6. Limited wifi bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Limited wifi bandwidth: I am always downloading games on the box app for PC, and my wifi speed is always so low. I'm using ethernet 90/90 mbs but downloads only use 10mbs sometimes 11. How do I fix this?...
  7. Limited wifi bandwidth

Limited wifi bandwidth: I am always downloading games on the box app for PC, and my wifi speed is always so low. I'm using ethernet 90/90 mbs but downloads only use 10mbs sometimes 11. How do I fix this?...
  8. Windows 10 throttling download speed/limiting bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 throttling download speed/limiting bandwidth?: Just upgraded to a new laptop (Dell inspiron 7501, intel ax201 wireless card, OS build: 19042.867), and have been noticing significant throttling when downloading large files. E.g.: when I run speed test normally I see a download speed of ~80Mpbs. Just browsing the web or...
  9. How to track how much internet bandwidth im using on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to track how much internet bandwidth im using on my laptop?: Dell xps 15 9550 and windows 10 pro. I like to be able to check how much gb i am using daily, weekly and monthly. I know a long time ago when i used another computer, i installed some program which tracked this... but i believe windows 10 has this somewhere in the...
  10. Service host using too much bandwidth

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Service host using too much bandwidth: Hello, Recently my pc has started using anywhere from 0.5 mbps to 1.0 mbps on “Service Host: Network Service”. To many people this wouldn’t be an issue but that is a lot of usage for my internet as I am lucky to get a total of 3 mbps. This hasn’t been an issue until recently...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is bandwidth used for downloading windows update

2. will limiting bandwidth used for downloading updates