Windows 10: Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys?

Discus and support Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every time I try to do research about Hiberfil.sys, all I end up finding is a bunch of tutorials about how to delete it completely. However, in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnTravolski, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys?

Every time I try to do research about Hiberfil.sys, all I end up finding is a bunch of tutorials about how to delete it completely. However, in the event that I'm doing something extremely important and my laptop's battery does run out, I'd prefer not to lose everything I've just been working on (even though this most likely won't happen.) However, my OS is running on an SSD and my Hiberfil.sys is taking up 25.7 GB of space. My question is this:

Is there any way to limit the size of Hiberfil.sys without removing it entirely?

I don't really understand why it has to take up this much space, but clearly it's a problem on a low-capacity SSD. Once again, I'd like my computer to hibernate if absolutely necessary, but I certainly don't want that to be the case at the expense of this much storage space.

If not, what do you recommend I do?

:)

JohnTravolski, Mar 29, 2017
  2. dwjpdwjp Win User

N8 SD Card Capacity/Size Limit

Hi,

The spec for the N8 says that the SD card works upto a 32GB size.

Is the unit limited to reading this size? or will it accept a larger GB size?

If so is there a limit on this size?

Regards

dwjpdwjp, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Multimedia player only converts a small percentage of my video, Why?

when selecting the conversion, did you select from resolution and size limit the option "no size limit" instead of the default "MMS size" ?

manta---01, Mar 29, 2017
  4. DavidE Win User

Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys?

DavidE, Mar 29, 2017
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    When a computer goes into hibernation it saves the contents of all non free memory (typically that would be most of it) to hiberfil.sys. Recovering from hibernation reverses the process. Memory contents is compressed but there is no way of knowing ahead of time how successful that will be. Some types of data compress very well while others hardly at all. A hiberfil.sys file 40% of RAM size is usually sufficient but there can be unusual situations where it is not. Unfortunately, by the time this is discovered it is too late to back out of the hibernation process and it must fail.

For fast startup only the system portion of RAM is saved but applications are terminated as in a normal shutdown. This saves quite a bit of time over hibernation and requires a smaller hiberfil.sys.

LMiller7, Mar 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    From Windows 7 on...

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Footprint.docx

@JohnTravolski's 25.7GB sounds about right as the default for 32GB RAM.

7. Mystere Win User
    While you can reduce the size of the hiberfil.sys, doing so increases the odds that hibernation will fail and you will lose your complete session when your laptop hibernates. If you want to take that chance, then follow DavidE's advice.

Mystere, Mar 30, 2017
  8. Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys?

You can go as small as 40% and still have Hibernate available.
    Code: powercfg /H /SIZE 40[/quote] I have Windows 10 on a 128GB SSD (Desktop PC) and 32GB RAM. I use powercfg /H REDUCED, which gives me only a 6,854,778,880 byte hiberfil.sys and only allows for Fast Startup and Standby (S3).

DonCuthbert, Mar 30, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I've turned off hibernation on all my PCs since I never use it. This removes hiberfil.sys. I just turn off the the PC or use sleep.

Steve C, Mar 30, 2017
  10. Hydranix Win User
    It's a real shame Microsoft hasn't redesigned their implementation of hibernation to be modern and less restrictive.

Being forced to have hibernate file on the same drive as the kernel executable really sucks. Linux has been well beyond that limitation for over a decade now.

The best part is, Linux uses it's swapspace as it's hibernate file as well, which would be roughly equivalent to Windows using the same file for hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys, while being able to locate it anywhere, even over the network *Huh.

Hydranix, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys?

1. Limit Size of Hiberfil.sys? - Similar Threads - Limit Size Hiberfil

2. Raid Size limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid Size limit: I need to create a 10TB raid 1 or 5, Does anyone know if this can be done In Windows 10/11 Pro.I need to have optimum read speed with hardware failure protection. I currently have 4 TB of files ranging in size from 50 to 2.5 GB so read speed is important to me. I am currently...
  3. Raid Size limit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid Size limit: I need to create a 10TB raid 1 or 5, Does anyone know if this can be done In Windows 10/11 Pro.I need to have optimum read speed with hardware failure protection. I currently have 4 TB of files ranging in size from 50 to 2.5 GB so read speed is important to me. I am currently...
  4. Raid Size limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Limit Chrome Cache Size?

in Browsers and Email
    Limit Chrome Cache Size?: Chrome has started using 1.3GB for cache. Is there away of limiting the cache size used? 173286
  6. Hiberfil-sys and Pagefil.sys can a read-only them?

Hiberfil-sys and Pagefil.sys can a read-only them?: Hi, I was wondering if it's safe to check the "read-only" attribute for these to files! I have searched for quite a bit and have not found any info in regards to this, only if it was safe to delete them. Thanks if you reply!...
  7. Partition size limited below available size

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partition size limited below available size: I've been trying to create a 50G partition. I'm using uefi. Already have 5partitions. Total available space is 380G. I tried to create a 50G partition of ntfs. But, it is restricting me to max 10G. Some times back, i deleted MSR, and rebuilt msr later. Is this a reason. I...
  8. Is there a wayto manage the hiberfile sys onthe hardrive?

Is there a wayto manage the hiberfile sys onthe hardrive?: [ATTACH]My hiberfiles sys is a bit on the large side now. I did asking around about how to clean it or just manage it but people i asked either dont know or cant give me a straight answer. is there a way to clean it or just manage it or does windows do it automatically?...
  9. Limit email download size

in Browsers and Email
    Limit email download size: How to limit download size in Windows Mail. For instance to set Windows Mail to download mails with attachments up to 100 Kb? 131150
  10. Tile Size limited

in Windows 10 Support
    Tile Size limited: Trying to resize some of my tiles on the Windows 10 start menu. I have added Outlook 2016 and want to set it to Wide but the only options are Small & Medium. How do I get all the options on the resize? 35119