Windows 10: Limited Context Menu list, trying to create easy to access links

Discus and support Limited Context Menu list, trying to create easy to access links in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, So i personally don't like links or folders on my desktop, So i want to make context menu links to the software that I use regularly. Because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Forsaken, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Forsaken Win User

Limited Context Menu list, trying to create easy to access links

Hello,

So i personally don't like links or folders on my desktop, So i want to make context menu links to the software that I use regularly. Because I also don't like Windows 10 start menu or extra applications in the background (Classic Shell) although it works really nicely.

I have been adding lots of links and found out that each context sub-menu is limited to 16 links. Can someone please advise me on how to increase it to a higher number?

Limited Context Menu list, trying to create easy to access links [​IMG]

Thank you in advance.

:)

Forsaken, Feb 5, 2018

2. How to add shortcut link in “Quick Access” in Windows 10 through code ?

It's in the W10 Explorer context menu.

• Right click on the file or folder you want to add to quick access.
    • Choose Add to Quick Access from the drop down list.
    Done.

To find the place in registry or file system try adding something with a unique name using the above method.

Then search the registry or file system for entries containing that name.

I aren't going to bother as it's soo darn easy without getting complicated.

Chris Packer, Feb 5, 2018
  3. How to create a context menu to simulate keystrokes

Many thanks - there seems to be a lot of resources here, none specific to my needs I can find at present, but definitely a better place to look.

Matthew_S- [O365], Feb 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

I can quite understand you not liking the Win 10 start menu - I don't either and use Classic Shell.
    I can also understand you not wanting shortcuts and folders on your desktop.

However, frankly I think you're creating a real problem for yourself. It's not maintainable.

What happens when new programs are installed or uninstalled?

You can't search those context entries, so you'd still be reliant on the start menu and folders for that anyway.

Why not have a look at Stablauncher? Free, very low resource use, auto hides.
    Supports drag 'n drop.
    Meant to be used for your most frequently needed shortcuts of course. Easy to change and manipulate, unlike your context menu structure.

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  5. Forsaken Win User
    Hi,

I appreciate your helpful Response. But i did a fresh Windows 10 install today i quite like this context menu idea. Once i have most of my software reinstalled i wont be doing much uninstalling and reinstalling. many of my applications are auto updaters I spend a lot of my time using the same applications.

i am happy to put the effort into added a new context link each new application. after today it wont be often *Smile

i guess its "my idea of neat and organised although many will disagree. If there is not an option to increase the context menu list limit. I will definately look into your idea.

Thank you Dalchina.

Forsaken, Feb 5, 2018
  6. Labudovi Win User
    Labudovi, Feb 5, 2018
  7. Forsaken Win User
    that also looks like a good option if i cannot extend the context menu.

thank you

Forsaken, Feb 5, 2018
  8. Try3 Win User

Forsaken,

I also dislike cluttering up my Desktop with links. There is another way of avoiding them that uses no external tools - (custom) Taskbar toolbars.

There is a tutorial about them at Add Toolbars to Taskbar - TenForums [see option 5].

You can have your main entries in the same arrangement as you have been doing in your modified context menus but in a readily maintainable structure. You can put as much or as little in any subgroups [which fly out in an XP-style]. In this example, I have only one main entry [the blank screen item] and everything else is arranged within subgroups that match my working pattern. In the fly out subgroup you can see, I have links to applications, to folders & to files - it is entirely customisable.

You could, for example, have main entries for Software & the other items I can see in your list and within the Software one you could have links to 7-Zip and all the other things you want there.

By the way, I started using these with Windows 7 and it would re-arrange things after certain updates. That's why I numbered them and the numbering cured the problem. I have no idea if numbers are needed to maintain the desired order in Windows 10 as I have never tried removing them.

I appreciate that this is not exactly what you asked for and that you have already had other suggestions but the Taskbar Toolbars method would certainly achieve your functional objective of ready access to everything you want without cluttering up your Desktop.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Feb 6, 2018
  9. Forsaken Win User
    Hello Denis,

Thank you, I have actually gone ahead and done what you showed me. So I can keep the power buttons and System Settings options in the context menu. Use taskbar for my applications.

All were good options.

Thank all of you

Forsaken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Limited Context Menu list, trying to create easy to access links - Similar Threads - Limited Context Menu

2. The context menu lacks access keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The context menu lacks access keys: The new context menu lacks the access key feature, the underlined letters or letters in parentheses in non-Latin languages, which had existed from Windows 2.0! The access keys allow you quickly select the menu item by press the letter. For example, press R to open Properties...
  3. The context menu lacks access keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The context menu lacks access keys: The new context menu lacks the access key feature, the underlined letters or letters in parentheses in non-Latin languages, which had existed from Windows 2.0! The access keys allow you quickly select the menu item by press the letter. For example, press R to open Properties...
  4. Any EASY way to edit right click context menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any EASY way to edit right click context menu?: I've googled for hours, I have "Easy Context Menu" installed, but it is not "Easy". I just want to take some crap out of the menu and add a couple things. Why should it be so hard? I'd like to use CCleaner, but I know it's not safe. Is there any easy program to use for...
  5. Onedrive - Create a link when there's no context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive - Create a link when there's no context menu: Hi, I want to share a 56 MB file with a friend using Onedrive. I add to 'shared favourites' on Onedrive and then right click, however the context menu simply has 'share' as an option which displays a dialogue where you can choose an email address and it will then send an...
  6. Taskbar Jump list and Context menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Jump list and Context menu not working.: This really isn't a question, but seeing as I haven't found a definitive answer and solved it for myself I'll post it. Problem: My bottom taskbar was showing jump list options but I could not run them at all, across multiple programs. It would not launch the program....
  7. Pinning files to links context menu

Pinning files to links context menu: If I right-click the Excel link in my windows start menu, the context menu displays several pinned excel files that I commonly use. I need to change the properties (file location) in one of these pinned links. I recall creating some desktop short cuts and then moving them to...
  8. Create Shortcut on context menu

Create Shortcut on context menu: Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu? 96298
  9. Creating a new entry in the context menu

Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  10. Add List Permissions Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add List Permissions Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add List Permissions Context Menu in Windows How to Add List Permissions Context Menu in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to the files and folders. Every...