Windows 10: Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Discus and support Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 . I currently sign into PC with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by scfisher, Sep 19, 2016.

1. scfisher Win User

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro

Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 .

I currently sign into PC with a microsoft account.

Motherboard on PC may be giving up on me so I wish to replace it.

I have done a bit of research and it seems i should be able to link my Microsoft account with Windows 10 license which would then make reactivation easier.

I have followed instructions to go to Settings, Update and Security, Activation.

Here it says "product key: windows 10 on this device is activated with digital entitlement"

There is not an option to Link my microsoft account with Windows 10 licence key.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Steve

:)

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016

2. Windows license

The windows 10 license on my laptop is linked to my microsoft account. Is there anyway I can link/transfer the license to another microsoft account ?

TafseerKhan, Sep 19, 2016
  3. Reinstalling Windows after upgrade Win10 for free (provided by microsoft)

None needed. You have a digital license for Windows 10.

See:

How to Link Microsoft Account to Digital License for Windows 10 Activation

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Shenan Stanley, Sep 19, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

TrustMe, Sep 19, 2016
  5. scfisher Win User
    Thanks for message but I am not sure if it helps me.

Well according to the guide the following applies to me as i am already logged into Windows with Microsoft Account

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license [​IMG]
    Note

You will not see Add an account if you are already signed in to your Microsoft account since it will already be linked to the digital license.

If you’ve already added your Microsoft account to your device, you’ll see Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account on the Activation page automatically.

ie i should see " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"
    But I don't see that. I just see. "product key: windows 10 on this device is activated with digital entitlement"

And the guide does not show how I can confirm licence is linked to Microsoft Account.

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Steve, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

What build of Windows 10 do you currently have installed?

*Arrow https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...mber-find.html

Starting in build 14371, if you see this part highlighted in yellow below in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation from step 7 in the tutorial posted above, then the PC's digital license is linked to your MSA.

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 19, 2016
  7. scfisher Win User
    that will be the problem. My build no is 10586.589

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ah, yep that would be why then. Once you upgrade to the latest build, you'll be able to link it. *Smile

Brink, Sep 19, 2016
  9. scfisher Win User
    Yes. That worked. Thank you so much. All linked fine!

scfisher, Sep 20, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license - Similar Threads - Link Microsoft Account

2. Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options: I want to link my digital Windows license to an account, so I can reuse it after replacing a faulty mainboard. But when I try to do that, Windows tells me that I would have to use that account to log in to windows from then on, instead of the existing local one. I do not...
  3. multiple windows license linking to account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    multiple windows license linking to account: Hi, I do not understand exact behaviour of windows license linking to MS account. In my case I am owner of 6 windows licences. I am not sure, if it is good idea to link all these licences to my 1 MS account. Because, I am not aware about any "overview" of licenceses...
  4. Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account: Hi, I'm trying to link my Windows 10 Education license to my Microsoft Account following this tutorial:...
  5. Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account

Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account: I've read conflicting information regarding this matter. Basically I'm thinking about taking the HDD of my laptop behind the barn and putting it down, slip an SSD on it's place and make a clean install. Thing is, I never linked a Microsoft Account to the installation, and I...
  6. Windows 10 retail license linked to Microsoft account

Windows 10 retail license linked to Microsoft account: Hi there! I have a doubt regarding my Windows 10 license. Some time ago I bought a retail license and now in the Windows configuration section the following message appears: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". The thing is that I...
  7. Windows License linked to my Microsoft account

Windows License linked to my Microsoft account: Hello. Im in the process of rebuilding a new PC. Only 1 thing was gonna be brought forward and it was my 1 TB seagate drive and well .. my dog chewed and slobbered on it for 8 hours while i was at work and its literally unusable i lost everything. Im a novice in this world...
  8. 3 or 5 Digital License for Windows 10 linked to One Microsoft account?

3 or 5 Digital License for Windows 10 linked to One Microsoft account?: I have 2 laptop's and 1 computer running Windows 10 it is possible 3 Digital license in one Microsoft account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3-or-5-digital-license-for-windows-10-linked-to/04f06a91-9058-4062-80df-ef4fb42f8a77"
  9. How to Linking Windows license with MS account

How to Linking Windows license with MS account: I'm about to replace the motherboard in a PC and have read that I can easily reactivate the associated Windows license with my Microsoft account. I've gone for many years without this linkage - using local accounts on OEM installations, doing automatic upgrades to Win 10,...
  10. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License: Hey, I have a question. Do you think the digital license is saved on my MSA after i changed back to my local account? What I mean by that: I Added MSA to my Windows 10 and it said in Activation tab "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft...