Windows 10: Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Discus and support Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 . I currently sign into PC with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by scfisher, Sep 19, 2016.

1. scfisher Win User

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro

Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 .

I currently sign into PC with a microsoft account.

Motherboard on PC may be giving up on me so I wish to replace it.

I have done a bit of research and it seems i should be able to link my Microsoft account with Windows 10 license which would then make reactivation easier.

I have followed instructions to go to Settings, Update and Security, Activation.

Here it says "product key: windows 10 on this device is activated with digital entitlement"

There is not an option to Link my microsoft account with Windows 10 licence key.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Steve

:)

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016

2. Windows license

The windows 10 license on my laptop is linked to my microsoft account. Is there anyway I can link/transfer the license to another microsoft account ?

TafseerKhan, Sep 19, 2016
  3. Reinstalling Windows after upgrade Win10 for free (provided by microsoft)

None needed. You have a digital license for Windows 10.

See:

How to Link Microsoft Account to Digital License for Windows 10 Activation

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Shenan Stanley, Sep 19, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

TrustMe, Sep 19, 2016
  5. scfisher Win User
    Thanks for message but I am not sure if it helps me.

Well according to the guide the following applies to me as i am already logged into Windows with Microsoft Account

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license [​IMG]
    Note

You will not see Add an account if you are already signed in to your Microsoft account since it will already be linked to the digital license.

If you’ve already added your Microsoft account to your device, you’ll see Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account on the Activation page automatically.

ie i should see " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"
    But I don't see that. I just see. "product key: windows 10 on this device is activated with digital entitlement"

And the guide does not show how I can confirm licence is linked to Microsoft Account.

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Steve, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

What build of Windows 10 do you currently have installed?

*Arrow https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...mber-find.html

Starting in build 14371, if you see this part highlighted in yellow below in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation from step 7 in the tutorial posted above, then the PC's digital license is linked to your MSA.

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 19, 2016
  7. scfisher Win User
    that will be the problem. My build no is 10586.589

scfisher, Sep 19, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ah, yep that would be why then. Once you upgrade to the latest build, you'll be able to link it. *Smile

Brink, Sep 19, 2016
  9. scfisher Win User
    Yes. That worked. Thank you so much. All linked fine!

scfisher, Sep 20, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license - Similar Threads - Link Microsoft Account

2. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account: We recently ran into an issue in which a hardware change was made on one of our machines that resulted in Windows 10, which was activated via digital license, became in-activated. After much searching and online forum education, as well as a few support calls to Microsoft, we...
  3. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account: We recently ran into an issue in which a hardware change was made on one of our machines that resulted in Windows 10, which was activated via digital license, became in-activated. After much searching and online forum education, as well as a few support calls to Microsoft, we...
  4. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  6. Linking a Windows 10 Home license to a Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Linking a Windows 10 Home license to a Microsoft account: I have a laptop with a Windows 10 Home license. I made a new build some days ago and I have to install the OS. If I log in with my Microsoft account in the laptop, will that license be attached to my account forever even if I log out or I need to keep my account logged in...
  7. Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account: Hi, I'm trying to link my Windows 10 Education license to my Microsoft Account following this tutorial:...
  8. Windows 10 retail license linked to Microsoft account

Windows 10 retail license linked to Microsoft account: Hi there! I have a doubt regarding my Windows 10 license. Some time ago I bought a retail license and now in the Windows configuration section the following message appears: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". The thing is that I...
  9. Windows License linked to my Microsoft account

Windows License linked to my Microsoft account: Hello. Im in the process of rebuilding a new PC. Only 1 thing was gonna be brought forward and it was my 1 TB seagate drive and well .. my dog chewed and slobbered on it for 8 hours while i was at work and its literally unusable i lost everything. Im a novice in this world...
  10. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License: How to: Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License How to Link Microsoft Account to Digital License for Windows 10 Activation Starting with Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard. There is not a...