Windows 10: Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Discus and support Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I'm not sure what other information can be added until there's anything new from Microsoft. I have done a lot of testing with VMs and it seems you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by guniu, Aug 3, 2016.

1. xbliss Win User

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

How does a person responsible for Managing several machines & their Win 10 DEs (Home/ Family or SOHO/ SMB) link these DEs to a Single MS account?

Does MS allow..
    1 to 1 relation
    OR
    1 to Many to manage DEs? How would one do this?

- Do I link home/ family machines DEs to a Single personal account I manage? (Im the techie in family)

- Can I create a Single Office account to link/ manage all DEs? Save it for future use by office.

xbliss, Aug 14, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

xbliss,

The problem is that no one knows for sure about those questions since there's nothing official from Microsoft, and this seems to vary from person to person so far.

Brink, Aug 14, 2016
  3. HannahK Win User
    Does this work when using a Standard local user account? I'd like not to use an Administrator account, would it continue to work for example when changing from Administrator back to Standard once the MSA is setup?

HannahK, Aug 15, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Hannah, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Once your PC's digital license is linked to your MSA, it doesn't matter of you change the MSA to be a standard user.

After you do so, you can verify by seeing if Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account is still on the Activation page in Settings.

Brink, Aug 15, 2016
  5. xbliss Win User
    Well isnt that the objective of these forums?

Arent there people here (like you and Kari) who have multiple machines/ vms and accounts. How do they have it linked and managed?

PS: Should I ask Kari to see this question?

xbliss, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Feel free. The more people comparing notes the better. *Smile

What you read on this from Microsoft, you should be able to link all digital licenses to your MSA for any and all PCs that you sign in to as the owner. People have reported that this is not always the case though.

I don't like to speculate. So far, all the testing with VMs and PCs has been inconsistent, and not always giving the same results. Because of this, I simply just can't give you a straight answer.

Brink, Aug 16, 2016
  7. xbliss Win User
    Exactly. Especially for someone managing lot of machines for a Home or small office.. And when I posted twice on MS forums they dont respond and their CONTINGENT china support staff linked back to TenForums Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License :p

xbliss, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Can we change Motherboard after linking license to MSA . If yes , Are there any restrictions ? I mean motherboard should be having same chipset as the previous one ?

govindchandra, Aug 22, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello govindchandra, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Yes. If you have previously linked your digital license on the PC with your MSA, then you will be able to change the motherboard on the same PC and use the Activation troubleshooter (if needed) to activate the PC.

If this is an OEM license, then you may not be able to activate with the new motherboard since OEM licenses are usually not transferable.

Brink, Aug 22, 2016
  10. I have OEM licence, it even showed it as OEM, but once it was linked to MS, it changed to digital, so who knows.

TairikuOkami, Aug 22, 2016
  11. xbliss Win User
    This looks similar but slightly different -

Also, how could we do the linking without the SWITCH step in this link? i.e. Without Switch it would show as linked with MS A?

Does the Switch Replace the "existing" the Local account or creates and switches to MSA by creating a local profile for it?

xbliss, Aug 23, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello xbliss, *Smile

The method you linked to is the same as the tutorial here. The only difference is that it's telling you to switch to a MSA first. There's no need to since the process will do it for you anyway.

You have to be signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account (MSA) to be able to link the PC's digital license to your MSA.

Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  13. xbliss Win User

Since you took away that link to a non competing entity and I am trying this tutorial now.. My Win 10 1511 does not show this option to add an MS a/c in this "ACTIVATION" location. Has this/ location changed with MS releases?

PS: The only thing I've done so far is use the REG keys for - Disable Automatic Update and for Metered Ethernet - Would any of this cause such an issue?

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License [​IMG]

xbliss, Aug 27, 2016
  14. xbliss Win User
    How and where did you enter the MSA information? I dont get the "Add Account" option under Activation like the tutorial points out.

xbliss, Aug 27, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @xbliss,

Does the blue note box under step 2 apply to you for why you don't have the option?

Brink, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License - Similar Threads - Link Microsoft Account

2. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account: We recently ran into an issue in which a hardware change was made on one of our machines that resulted in Windows 10, which was activated via digital license, became in-activated. After much searching and online forum education, as well as a few support calls to Microsoft, we...
  3. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account: We recently ran into an issue in which a hardware change was made on one of our machines that resulted in Windows 10, which was activated via digital license, became in-activated. After much searching and online forum education, as well as a few support calls to Microsoft, we...
  4. Linking a Windows 10 Digital License to a Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Digital License linked to your Microsoft account

Digital License linked to your Microsoft account: A friend of mine wanted me to format her laptop and reinstall windows. Her version of windows is not activated. So I am planning to use my micosoft account and it is linked to my windows license. But the problem is that I don't want my microsoft account to be on her computer...
  6. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  7. Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License

Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License: Hi there. I am due to replace my motherboard on my laptop and I want to prepare accordingly. Advice on from Microsoft suggests that I link my Microsoft Account to my Digital License but I am unable to do so. I currently use a local account. I have been into "Settings ->...
  8. Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account: I have an almost 8 Year old laptop that originally didn't come with an OS. So, I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and purchased a digital license seperately. The 3rd Gen i3 Processor still somewhat holds up and can do all the basic tasks (including playing videos in 4K without...
  9. Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Link Windows 10 Education digital license to Microsoft account: Hi, I'm trying to link my Windows 10 Education license to my Microsoft Account following this tutorial:...
  10. Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account

Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account: I've read conflicting information regarding this matter. Basically I'm thinking about taking the HDD of my laptop behind the barn and putting it down, slip an SSD on it's place and make a clean install. Thing is, I never linked a Microsoft Account to the installation, and I...