Windows 10: Linking digital licences to MS Account.

Discus and support Linking digital licences to MS Account. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We all now that we can link the digital licence now to our MS account, using Redstone. However, I have just discovered something slightly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cereberus, Jul 27, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Linking digital licences to MS Account.

We all now that we can link the digital licence now to our MS account, using Redstone.

However, I have just discovered something slightly disconcerting.

I have 14393.5 Home, upgraded from retail 8.1 on my PC, and it was registered as a device on my MS account, and shows as being linked to my MS account.

I have since installed 10586.494 10 Pro N, as an upgrade from retail 8.1 Pro N key on my PC as a dual boot option. This has new registered as a device on my MS account. This shows as activated ok.

Now here's the thing - the 14393.5 Home install no longer shows a device in my MS account. I am sure the digital licences are ok (easy to test by installing another copy temporarily in a vhd), but it seems you can only see the last digital licence that was linked.

So I am struggling to see how you could reactivate both digital licences e.g. if mobo failed if you can only see one of them.

:)

cereberus, Jul 27, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

paid for windows 10 and didn't receive anything from microsoft

In addition the MS activation page shows a purchase from the MS Store to be a Digital Licence which suggests it will be linked to your MS account.

neilpzz, Jul 27, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Activation ERROR!

I'm afraid you are wrong. A digital licence is registered to your hardware (motherboard) and linked to a MS account to allow for easier re-activation if the digital licence allows it.

A pre-installed copy of windows that comes with a device is OEM and is not transferrable to a new device.

neilpzz, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 27, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You are missing the point - I have two valid digital licences - one for home, and one for pro (retail originals as well) on same PC as dual boot, but it seems you can only link the last one to your MS account i.e. each time you link one, it removes the previous link.

So if I had a mobo failure, I would only be able to reactivate one of the licences as far as I can tell.

cereberus, Jul 27, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok. I didn't know if you checked to see if your device was listed in the Activation Troubleshooter for each, or just in "Your devices" for your MSA online since these are two different lists.

That will be an issue if doesn't keep all digital licenses registered for a PC.

Brink, Jul 27, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - that coiuld be the case, but when I was testing with vms, it only ever showed devices that were in your devices.

I worked out a workaround ie. use a different MS account for each licence - maybe not needed, but I can see same device with different OS now as a result.

cereberus, Jul 28, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Using more than on MSA would be a good workaround to be safe.

Brink, Jul 28, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    I wonder if the "computer name" of an installation needs to be "significantly different" on the same machine to register as a different device with the same MSA?

These 2 32-bit installations in the same desktop device are recognised as a "desktop-xxxxxxx" and just as "win-xxxxxx" prefix on the Windows-assigned computer name:

Linking digital licences to MS Account. [​IMG]

They will be updated shortly, one to the insider 14393.x, and the other to whatever build number appears on the 2nd August.

There are other (insider) installations on the same PC which do not show up on the Microsoft account. I can't quite figure it. I have a laptop with both 32- and 64-bit installations and only the most recent upgrade (64-bit) shows up on the MSA page. My 2 laptops show their serial numbers on the device entry in MSA, the desktop above does not seem to expose the ser. no.

Fafhrd, Jul 28, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Don't know if this brings anything new to this but I have an Asus laptop I have used for testing on which I have clean installed four different editions activating them (Single Language, Home, Pro and Education).

After all four editions were once activated, I have repeatedly reinstalled them, clean install every time on the same machine. Skipping the product key in Windows Setup, whatever of the four editions I install they will always be activated due digital entitlement.

Notice that I always use same MS account and same computer name.

11. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - I kind of wondered about some of this as well. I guess we will find out in due course.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Linking digital licences to MS Account. - Similar Threads - Linking digital licences

2. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  3. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  4. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  5. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  6. How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account

How to link digital licence to Microsoft account on a local user account: I have a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. It is activated. I log in to the computer with a local account, let’s say username “pen” and password “paper”. In activation settings, there is an option to link a Microsoft account to a digital licence. I did this and it said it...
  7. Cannot activate windows with my Digital Licence (linked with my MS Account)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot activate windows with my Digital Licence (linked with my MS Account): [ATTACH] I have recently changed from HDD to SSD and installed Windows 10 in it. How ever when tried to activate/troubleshoot, windows gets activated, but with an Organisation license. I am not behind a organisation network either and not used any organisation keys. I...
  8. Reinstalling windows with digital licence linked to account then signing in with different...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling windows with digital licence linked to account then signing in with different...: I want to reinstall windows but sign in with a different microsoft account however in windows settings it says my windows digital license is linked with my Microsoft account as I bought this laptop which came with windows 10. If I reinstall windows and sign in with a...
  9. Licence not linked to Microsoft Account

Licence not linked to Microsoft Account: I got my Mum a new PC to replace her current one as it's been having some hardware issues. I changed her from a local account login to using her outlook.com account and that's fine but it doesn't seem to have linked her licence with her MS account, as when I login with her...
  10. What is meant by term "digital licence linked to your account" ?

What is meant by term "digital licence linked to your account" ?: I just want to know that if i have digital licence linked to my account than windows 10 will activated on my any PC when I sign in with my Microsoft account linked with digital licence....