Windows 10: Linking to Users folder on different drive

Discus and support Linking to Users folder on different drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sheamus, Oct 28, 2014.

1. sheamus Win User

Linking to Users folder on different drive

Hello,

Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I have done following these instructions: How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without Registry Hack | Next of Windows

But when I try and do it on my W10 install, I get an error trying to log in as a new user: The User Profile Service failed the sign-in.

Not sure if it matters, but my c drive was labeled G while I was in the repair console.
    My commands looked like this:

robocopy g:\Users h:\Users /COPYALL /E
    rmdir /s g:\Users
    mklink /d g:\Users h:\Users
    exit
    All commands seems to work fine. Anyone had any luck doing this?

:)

sheamus, Oct 28, 2014
  2. Nashsafc Win User

How can i make a folder shortcut in user account folder in navigation pane

I want to put a folder that i have from a different hard disk drive into the user account drop down menu in the navigation pane in windows explorer. Simply creating a shortcut of the folder into my user account's folder doesn't display the folder in the
    windows explorer navigation pane. So what i want is a shortcut folder that acts like a folder of it's own but is directly linked with the other folder in the other hard drive.

Nashsafc, Oct 28, 2014
  3. two differents users folders in c drive

the name is nikol.perhaps appears the second name because i have created a second microsoft account

vasilisnikolo, Oct 28, 2014
  4. sheamus Win User

I used the sysprep method, and it worked great! How long has this option been available, it really is fooproof, and simple. The lengthy instructions look daunting, but it really is only a couple simple steps.

sheamus, Oct 28, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    Basically that has been available and possible since XP, although first from Vista it has really worked. I've used it in all my Windows installations since early beta versions of Vista, never had an issue.

I deleted my earlier post in this thread (about the sysprep method with link to tutorial) because I have not yet updated the tutorial to explain what to do when you want to upgrade to next build. Apparently I deleted it too late, you had already seen it *Smile.

I will update the tutorial, it's on my To-Do list for tonight.

Before upgrading to next build you have to revert the procedure (move Users back to C: drive), then upgrade, and finally after upgrade run Sysprep again to move Users again to another drive. This procedure is quite easy and fast, it needs to be done every time you upgrade.

The issues is what I call "The Sysprep - Upgrade Dilemma":

• A sysprepped Windows cannot be upgraded
    • An upgraded Windows cannot be sysprepped
    Luckily there's an easy workaround for this, as I mentioned I will add that to tutorial later tonight.

6. sheamus Win User
    I have had updates give messages that they can't be installed due to linked Program Files for Users folder. Is this the problem you speak of? Is there a work around?

sheamus, Nov 2, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    Which updates?

Updates should work normally, never had an issue. It's upgrade which needs some adjusting.

I have no good explanation why I forgot to add that information to tutorial as I promised earlier. Within two hours of this posting it will be added.

Kari, Nov 2, 2014
  8. sheamus Win User

Not sure what update. I just locked into my computer and that error message was across my screen. I'll snap a picture next time.

sheamus, Nov 2, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    I suspect it is the upgrade from Windows 10 TP Build 9841 to Build 9860. It's an upgrade and you should follow the instructions I just added to the tutorial a minute ago *Wink: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...a.html#Upgrade. Click the link, it takes you directly to end of tut where the upgrade instructions are.

As I said, the updates work as they should even in a sysprepped machine, here's the updates from this laptop which has had Users on E: since minutes after installation:

Linking to Users folder on different drive [​IMG]

Kari, Nov 2, 2014
  10. unifex Win User
    I have a totally different approach to this issue. I simply ignore the C:\Users folders. I put my files on D:\, F:\, etc and organize them the way I see fit and never put anything in those Documents, Pictures, and other folders. The only downside is that sometimes programs want to save files specifically in C:\Users\..\Documents, but they always give you a choice and it just takes an extra click or two to save the file where it belongs.

The upside is that my files are separated from the OS. If the OS crashes or needs to be replaced (or updated, or upgraded, or reinstalled, whatever) my files are not affected, they remain where they are. OS installers may format the system drive, but all other drives are left intact.

unifex, Nov 3, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    The thing with your method is that it leaves the AppData in C:\ with Temp and such. The sysprep method moves everything.

I need one easy command, the X:\MyAnswerFile.xml containing information where I want Users to be moved:
    Code: %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe / reboot /unattend:X:\MyAnswerFile.xml[/quote] Thereafter everything is automatic; whatever I save to whichever folder in whichever user profile is saved on X: drive. AppData and Temp can take a lot of storage space on C:, not on my systems. Whenever I create a new user account its profile will automatically be created on X:. All installers may store anything they want in my systems to user profiles, it will automatically be saved on X:. When my system drive crashes my all user profiles with absolutely totally completely everything they contain are safe on X: drive.

Each and every user does it of course as they see fit. For me it's a simple command once and then forget it completely: everything related to any user profile is always automatically stored on X: drive.

12. unifex Win User
    Well, I am the only user on my computer. If the system crashes - and that has never happened, thank God - I will have to reinstall all my programs anyway. So I don't worry about the Appearance folder. It remains on the side with the OS. A lot of programs that I use don't store their profiles there, for example .emacs sits in my home directory. On the other hand, PowerPoint surely stores some stuff somewhere on C:\, but I don't care much for that stuff, I make very little changes to its default settings.

unifex, Nov 3, 2014
  13. sheamus Win User

I have done the both methods. Any maybe because I am an old *nix guy who always put /home on a seperate drive it just drives me nuts to have user files on the OS HDD. SSD's make this that much more relevant, as you increase the life of your SSD by having temp files and code files (in my case) on a different drive.

~S

sheamus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Linking to Users folder on different drive - Similar Threads - Linking Users folder

2. Movin Users Folder With a Juntion link to another drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movin Users Folder With a Juntion link to another drive.: Is It possible that I can copy files of the Users folder with Xcopy to a diferent locationmake backup and then erased from the C: drive and then create a juntion directory link with it's name that directs to another Users directory in a different drive?...
  3. Movin Users Folder With a Juntion link to another drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movin Users Folder With a Juntion link to another drive.: Is It possible that I can copy files of the Users folder with Xcopy to a diferent locationmake backup and then erased from the C: drive and then create a juntion directory link with it's name that directs to another Users directory in a different drive?...
  4. Linking one drive on different devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Linking one drive on different devices: Hi,I have a desktop computer and Surface Pro laptop. I am using the same Microsoft Account on both devices. The Surface Pro is linked to my Desktop pc. However, OneDrive appears to be different on both devices and I am not sure why. When I open OneDrive, I want to be able to...
  5. Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving user profile folder from C to a different drive: I'm going to do a fresh install and I don't want the profile folder on my C drive for 2 reasons - its a small SSD, and I want all data to be on a separate drive so my OS drive is separate. I can move my Document/Download etc folders but thats not enough at all, everything...
  6. Folder showing different number of items for different users.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder showing different number of items for different users.: I have a number of users that have folders showing the wrong number of files. I've checked the server and know how many files should be in the folders and when I've looked myself I'm seeing the right number of files. I've looked for a solution and most of the results...
  7. Two different user folders?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two different user folders?: It seems like I have 2 users folders One with path C:\Users\[username] and the other [username] I only notice this if I pin the user folder to Quick Access. Pictures attached. 48467
  8. Granting two users different permissions to different folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Granting two users different permissions to different folders: I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to grant two different users different permissions to these several hundred folders. For example, I'd like like one users to be...
  9. How to delete USER FOLDER link

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete USER FOLDER link: Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User folder icon appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the Desktop User folder is a link to the C:/Users/file Adding or deleting a file in the C:/Users/file also the same results appear in the...
  10. Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate/Different user folders in Quick Access user folder: Hey so I relocated Documents Downloads and Desktop to another drive. If I click my username under Quick Access on the side, I can see that those directories are right where they should be - right? This is supposed to be C:/Users/Brad/ but it's not. If I goto my user folder...