Windows 10: Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do?

Discus and support Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm about to replace the motherboard in a PC and have read that I can easily reactivate the associated Windows license with my Microsoft account. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, May 26, 2018.

1. Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do?

I'm about to replace the motherboard in a PC and have read that I can easily reactivate the associated Windows license with my Microsoft account. I've gone for many years without this linkage - using local accounts on OEM installations, doing automatic upgrades to Win 10, etc. I wasn't even sure I had a Microsoft. (Must be from when I upgraded from Win7 Home to Win7 Pro 9 years ago.)

So other that this ability to reactivate rather than buying a new license, what does this linkage do for me and to me?

I see in the (very long) thread
    Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License | Windows 10 Tutorials
    the warning:Linking your Microsoft account to the digital license will switch your local account to a Microsoft account on your Windows 10 PC.I have no reason to want a Microsoft account on the PC. Can I switch back to a local account after I have reactivated Windows? Or can a define a special account on the PC just fot the purposes of reactivation and then delete the account? (This may be answered in that thread. I didn't get very far in the thread because it seemed to be oriented towards VM systems.)

Is there some way I can change my motherboard and reactivate Windows without this linkage? I have no idea what my Win10 product key is (if such a think still exists). Belarc Advisor displays what looks like a valid Microsoft product key but I have no idea if it is accurate ... or if I can use it to reactivate Windows even if it is accurate.

:)

pokeefe0001, May 26, 2018

2. Activating Windows 10 using digital license linked to account.

Hi Emman,

Here is a step by step guide to transferring a license, if yours is eligible for transfer.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

I don't want to lose anything in translation, so I figured giving you this link would be the best bet. GroovyPost is legit and can be trusted.

If no luck with the above steps, I suggest reaching you to MS directly.

I have 2 links below - MS support numbers, and the Microsoft Chat Support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/405170...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

I hope this helps!

- C

Charlie Klausen, May 27, 2018
  3. Windows 10: Will digital license of Windows 10 linked to Microsoft account?

Hi,

I realize that you have queries about activating Windows 10 through Microsoft account by linking to digital license. I will certainly help you.

When you use a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10, the digital license will be automatically linked to your Microsoft account.

Also I recommend you to refer to the information provided by Andre Da Costa in the link below and check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

I suggest you to follow the steps for activating Windows 10 after there is any hardware changes

How to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes:
    When you have linked your Windows 10 digital license to your Microsoft account, then you can use the following direction to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes.

Step 1: Click on Start Menu. Then select Settings.

Step 2: Click Update & security.

Step 3: Then click on Activation. If your Windows 10 copy is not activated and you see a link labeled as
    Troubleshoot.

Step 4: After that click on Troubleshoot link to open Windows 10 activation troubleshooter and get your copy of Windows 10 activated after hardware changes.

Step 5: If the troubleshooter fails to activate Windows 10, then you will see a option as
    I changed hardware on this device recently.

Step 6: Click on I changed hardware on this device recently link or option to see a page where you need to enter your Microsoft account email address as well as password.

Step 7: Then try to select your Windows 10 computer from the devices list, check the box labeled as
    This is the device I am using right now and then click on
    Activate
    button to activate your copy of Windows 10.

Please get back to us with an update on queries on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 27, 2018
Thema:

Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do?

1. Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do? - Similar Threads - Linking license account

2. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  3. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  4. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. win 10 license linking to MS account

win 10 license linking to MS account: i have 5 windows 10 upgraded from win7 licenses. so far i have not linked them with microsoft account. can i link all 5 PCs to the same microsoft account ? if so what are the issues that arise from that?thanks...
  6. Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account: Hey people, I'm hoping someone can help me out as I can't contact the MS customer service as they are closed for the weekend and I'm stuck setting up a new computer. I find it very difficult to find the correct information through google and I'm losing oversight. My brain is...
  7. Do I have to link license to MS account?

Do I have to link license to MS account?: Hi all, Some confusion on my part, I want to change my HDD to an SSD on an old system that has W10. It currently is activated with a digital licence (being an upgrade from W7) When I reinstall W10, will it activate correctly, or do I have to link the digital licence with a...
  8. MS account linking to window key

MS account linking to window key: I was never big on using the MS account to log in to windows, and I probably never will but I do have questions. I originally linked my KEY to my account before I clean installed 1609. I bascily linked my key to account then formated pc and clean installed windows and...
  9. multiple windows license linking to account

multiple windows license linking to account: Hi, I do not understand exact behaviour of windows license linking to MS account. In my case I am owner of 6 windows licences. I am not sure, if it is good idea to link all these licences to my 1 MS account. Because, I am not aware about any "overview" of licenceses...
  10. How to Linking Windows license with MS account

How to Linking Windows license with MS account: I'm about to replace the motherboard in a PC and have read that I can easily reactivate the associated Windows license with my Microsoft account. I've gone for many years without this linkage - using local accounts on OEM installations, doing automatic upgrades to Win 10,...