Windows 10: Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

Discus and support Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Jan 23, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

Hi folks

If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers from problem windows has with long file names -- not Mp3tag's fault I hasten to add).

Program is puddletag -- on Ubuntu / Fedora / CENTOS / RHEL it can be installed via package manager --e.g yum install --- other distros might be in the package manager but source is available if you have gcc and make installed.

Good thing about this it doesn't have the Windows file length restrictions.

Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!) [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2018
  2. epsilonx Win User

Podcasts that are m4a won't play on Windows Phone 7

It would be great if someone could at least figure out what exactly is causing the issue. I tried removing the image using MP3Tag but for some reason it "can't open the file for writing". Moved the file to a separate location, it's not read-only, Explorer
    doesn't have a handle on it... could be something to do with MP3Tag just not being able to do that on an M4A file (they just recently updated the version to get rid of this issue for M4V files, for example).

Maybe all we have to do is strip out the image. Currently I convert the M4A file to MP3, then do a "Tag Copy" in MP3Tag so all the info is there, then it works. But that's an annoying process as a workaround.

epsilonx, Jan 23, 2018
  3. Entegy Win User
    Why does xbox music hub not respect metadata, and why can't Non-Americans have native podcast support?

Okay... I've looked at Track 25 and there's... another ID3 tag embedded in the file? I mean, there's a remnant of a tag even after it's been cleared by MP3tag. I think this may be a bug in MP3tag because even after clearing the file, I can access some
    properties via File Explorer. And guess what? The tag is the album name "Beautiful Frak". I've cleared the offending album name and sent you the file. You can add in the normal album name and add back the album art.

Entegy, Jan 23, 2018
  4. exploder Win User

Easy Tag might be the solution and it will be in your default repos.

exploder, Jan 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!) - Similar Threads - Linux alternative Mp3tag

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. Linux with w10 - alternative methods?

in Windows 10 Support
    Linux with w10 - alternative methods?: Is this a fair summary of the possible ways to use Linux on a machine with w10 already installed ? w10p 1909 build (up-to-date), digital license, MS Account linked, single user. Option 1: With w10 shutdown use a Linux live bootable usb and operate the Linux system only from...
  4. Alternative sound card Linux?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alternative sound card Linux?: Hi, I bought the EVGA NU Audio 2 days ago, it sounds absolutely awesome! At least on Windows. The only problem is that I am a Linux user. And there is no real driver for this soundcard with which I can control everything and record audio. Now I am looking for an alternative...
  5. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  6. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  7. Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names

Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names: Hi folks For people wanting a similar facility to Mp3vtag on Linux whether as a VM or Host -- puddletag works brilliantly -- also by right clicking on the file it will pull in the relevant player for the file type --in this example it pulls in VLC for FLAC I recommend this...
  8. Long File Name Crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File Name Crashes: Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything. Is there...
  9. Problems with Long File Names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with Long File Names: Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long. That was not a big problem back then. Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with...
  10. Media tagging --Mp3vtag with long file names --alternative here

Media tagging --Mp3vtag with long file names --alternative here: Hi there. Mp3vtag is obviously an excellent program for tagging multi media etc but unfortunately it suffers the same problem as other windows programs that make use of file explorer (or class to it) - namely you come up gainst the file / directory / length limitation (260...