Windows 10: Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Discus and support Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 1, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Hi there

I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows VM's - all run 100% from the external SSD -- Samsung 256 GB SSD).

Well I've news for you -- running TWO concurrent VM's (one a W10 CU update X-64 and another W7 X-64 pro with Icelandic interface) using VMWARE WORKSTATION version 12.5 runs just fine on an HP Envy laptop with i5 CPU and 8GB RAM - even when using a SATA -->USB2 adapter.

It's better of course with SATA-->USB3 adapter -- but utterly no problem in running BOTH VM's CONCURRENTLY from the external SSD with perfectly acceptable response times whether you use the SATA-->USB2 or SATA-->USB3 adapter.

Sometimes people should really TEST stuff before making "Ex Cathedra" type statements --intuitively they might seem to be right but until you actually TRY the stuff out yourself don't believe everything you see on the Net.

The great thing about this is that NOTHING is changed or touched on the laptop's internal HDD (unless you share it with the VM's of course).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  2. BPZ
    BPZ Win User

port win 10 on local vm

- Bought a refurbished machine with win 10 + digital entitlement (most probably after win 8 upgrade)

- Created a vm via vmware as "image" of the physical system

- The vm win10 guest seemed to have no activation problems on win10 host

Problems come when launching the vm on linux host (same physical machine): the win10 guest is not able to activate. Besides this causes a bunch of key/mouse etc.. driver unsolvable problems.

All this was pretty easy with pid oem licences (e.g. w7). How can that be solved, if it could?

Thanks for reading

P

3. purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, May 1, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

Well, keep in mind, everybody has a different opinion of what qualifies as "terrible" and everybody has different needs.

For example, when I run VM's, I am usually running a lab to learn something new in the server world. Fooling around in Exchange, doing something in powershell, experimenting with something in Active Directory, testing out some group policy, automating installs, etc. For this, I simply need the systems to run and function. I don't need them to be blisteringly fast. I'm not going to benchmark them, I'm not going to attempt to play a game on them, etc.

I'm run quite a number of VM's off from a 2.5" laptop 7,200RPM drive plugged into a SATA port on a desktop and it's worked just fine for my needs. And I cannot tolerate pitifully slow when i am doing work testing. Let's just say that it's fast enough that it wasn't worth me setting it up on our production vmware servers to run it off the SAN. It was plenty fast enough.

pparks1, May 1, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I agree with "perception as to what is acceptable" is a User subjective experience..

All I can say is that response time didn't leave me twiddling thumbs --I believe research has shown that anything over around 1 - 2 secs waiting time gets users agitated. I had much better responce than that.

Once these VM's had booted I could use them quite normally (Office 2016 for example) without the thumb twiddling) - and actually the response time on Office was BETTER than logging on to a corporate LAN.

Of course I wouldn't suggest using these as normal "Production" or even every day VM's but when you need say a special version of Ofice or an Icelandic version of Windows when you are working in a Brussels office with a French / Flemish version of Windows !!! it works brilliantly.

Also good for testing software as well.

I've often posted that poor computer performance is often down to poor HDD's whether VM or real -- these days if using HDD's then large cache with at least 7200 RPM should be the minimum - amazing today people spend loads of USD's / EUR's etc on upgrading processors etc while still keeping pitifully slow 5400 RPM HDD's - sometimes still even appalingly slow IDE ones.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop - Similar Threads - Linux Host external

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?: Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10 on the SSD while having Fedora on the internal SSD. 180379
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  6. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  7. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  8. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...
  9. W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Guest VM doesn't see Host W7 Homegroup: I've been trying in vain to get my W10 VM guest to join up to my W7 host's Homegroup, but the only options I get in the Homegroup section on W10 is to set up a new one, it's as if it's not seeing the Homegroup I already have in place through W7. I thought it would have picked...
  10. Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Use old w7 ssd as second hd in new w10 64bit home/8GB/M.2 128GB ssd: Hi to all on the W10 forum This is my first post here, and I have a query as to how to achieve the following: I am going to remove the SSD from my old W7 laptop, which I wish to use as a second HD in my new PCS Ultranote IV W10 home 64bit 8GB M.2 128GB. My query...