Windows 10: Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct)

Discus and support Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm on a WIndows 10 Pro PC accessing a linux server with samba etc installed and working well (visible via Homegroup to both Android and Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jeffreywhunter, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct)

I'm on a WIndows 10 Pro PC accessing a linux server with samba etc installed and working well (visible via Homegroup to both Android and Windows 7 pro). From the Win 10 box, if I type the name of the server in Windows File Explorer, then the shares from the server show up without issue. However, if I go into the Network folder, it does not see the linux servers - even though they are correctly configured for the correct homegroup. My windows 7 machines can see the servers in "network" as can my android devices.

Here's a screenshot. Note, the red arrows show what displays in Network folder (red arrows). If I click on the Server Name (HunterNAS in this case), the server shares are displayed and it shows up in the Network folder (blue arrows). Even after making the successful connection, display of another file explorer window > Network folder displays no linux server shares...

Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct) [​IMG]

Any ideas?

:)

jeffreywhunter, Jan 16, 2016
  2. Motox22a Win User

Networked PC's are no longer viewable in File Explorer Network after the Win 10 Update 1511.

No...What you most likely need to do is add SMB 1.0/CIFS. Microsoft turned SMB 1.0 off by default.

Check all three under SMB 1.0/CIFS and then reboot after it downloads the necessary files.

Then try accessing your computer shares again...This will also fix a Linux PC not being able to access

the Windows Shares...

Motox22a, Jan 16, 2016
  3. No acces to NAS under Windows10 version 1709

Some NAS hardware use a mini embedded Linux operating system to manage and communicate with Windows 10.

Because Windows 10 1709 disables SMB Direct by default, you need to enable it.

Press Windows key + R

Type: optionalfeatures.exe

Hit Enter

Check off SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and SMB Direct.

Open Start, type: regedit

Right click Regedit

Click Run as administrator

Navigate to...

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa" and change the value at "everioneincludesanonymus"

Default= 0

Desired= 1

and " NoLmHash"

Default= 1

Desired= 0

Also navigate to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" and change the value at "RestrictNullSessAccess"

Defailt= 1

Desired=0

Restart then check if you can then access your NAS.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct)

You have to disable smb 2 & 3 in Windows 10. Microsoft is using the excuse that they made changes with those two protocols, to protect the OS. That is not the case.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  5. Thanks for the idea. Gave it a try, but no luck... Ran the command, opened file explorer, navigate to network, do a refresh, no changes... According to the link you sent, a reboot is not required...

jeffreywhunter, Jan 17, 2016
  6. Just for grins, I rebooted to see if it made any difference. It did not...

7. bro67 Win User
    You have to disable the "Client" side on 10, then reaet Winsock and flush the DNS. That is the section that is missing, along with doing a reboot after you run all three options.

Someone can create a script that would allow you to chose Client or Server, enable or disable of SMB 2-3, and the flushdns, winsock reset with no problem.

The problem is getting people to trust the project that it is safe and will do exactly as stated that it is for.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    the average person wouldn't have a clue of how to do this or even what it means.

Getting W10 to see Linux shares IS most definitely a problem as well as a lot of other issues with networking in general.

If I as a standard user want to browse a Home LAN via the network icon it should just work. I'm using DHCP so messing around with fixed IP addresses on the Lan and typing them in or fiddling around with a HOSTS file is not an answer either.

My Linux boxes just see ALL the computers on the LAN including the W10 ones so it should work in reverse too. My W7 and XP systems don't have the problem either.

Ms needs to get this thing FIXED ASAP -- if networking is broken then Ms need to go back to the drawing board again. Networking is definitely MAINSTREAM these days - very few homes don't use some sort of networking.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 17, 2016
  9. Conceptually get what you're saying, but do not have the commands handy to disable the "client". I know how to reset winsock and flush the DNS. Do you have a script to do that or can you point me to directions? I have no problem building scripts, just need to know what the commands and syntax should be...

10. bro67 Win User
    The Powershell commands are most likely buried. I know that there is a tutorial out there. Here are the commands.

How to enable or disable SMB protocols on the SMB client
    Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012

Note When you enable or disable SMBv2 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012, SMBv3 is also enabled or disabled. This behavior occurs because these protocols share the same stack.
    To disable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled
    To enable SMBv1 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
    To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Notes
    You must run these commands at an elevated command prompt.
    You must restart the computer after you make these changes.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Jim the sad part is this goes back as far as Server 2008 and Windows 7. It has been the unseen thorn in everyone's side, because we all thought that it was a Linux problem with Samba, not the Windows side.

I have lost track from pulling out my hair, in having to look at it from the file server side, when all of the time Microsoft kept it quiet until Windows 10, when it became known that they were disabling SMB 2 & 3 connections from Linux for their own good.

This is why we have seen such a huge influx of people having issues with Media Servers, staying with 7, since it was a little less forgiving, except for large folders, when you try to browse them.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Jim I have some things that are Static IP's. I am sure you have seen my network items. When I have had ATT & Comcast tech's come over for something. They are amazed that I have a SoHo network set up, when they are just expecting a single device and a few devices. It helps get the bad ones to allow me to introduce them to what they can expect from those of us that came from the Homebrew days and use our home networks to keep up with out skill sets.

The good ones look like the scenes on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, when Willy sees the Golden Ticket. Eventually better is when you have a friend that you show your new ride and their eyes glaze over. Just have to nudge them after five minutes, to get to work.

bro67, Jan 17, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

The large file sizes are accommodated in W8/W8.1/W10 via storage spaces. In Linux / NAS servers the same thing is available. In fact that's one of the main reasons people use NAS boxes with several bays of HDD storage -- just allocate a directory and the NAS will handle it - doesn't matter about physical volumes. If you need more space you can add (if you haven't filled them all) another HDD dynamically.

If you have several people in a house you might find with them all wanting their own multi-media collections you will need a decent NAS (or equivalent) system. These are essentially Linux boxes so Ms needs to sort out W10 networking to work with this type of stuff.

It's quite normal now to go into a home where there could be 8 or more different devices that all want network connectivity. Things like the excellent chromecast thingey also make streaming from local servers to remote TV's quite a normal requirement.

Removing / fiddling around with SAMBA access from Windows when it's been working decently for YEARS was a big error IMO and Ms should get it fixed without delay.

Incidentally these Linux distros I've had problems with W10. The Linux sees and access W10 no problem -- W10 totally doesn't see the Samba servers. : Centos 7, OPEN SUSE Leap and Linux Mint so it's not just restricted to a particular Linux distro.

I've given up on trying to fix this - hoping a W10 update will sort it all out.

I can access my W10 systems from the Linux side - and at least the W10 systems can access the media servers and Chromecast.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 17, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    I think with my issue is that the Lenovo ix2-4 that I have, it uses a lower speed CPU and less RAM that it should have, so with Windows it would take longer pulling up the folders that held IP Camera images. Because when I was working and we had issues with wrong people in our neighborhood, I would see up to 30 GB on my front cam. The same as with Linux Mint.

I just never dived into Storage Spaces, because I was not looking that after 7, I was not going to be using Windows as my main OS.

I should start getting back into the NFS stuff on my laptop, since I have been meaning to move some stuff from the Amazon Cloud drive that we have.

I can agree on Microsoft fiddling with Samba and Cups a little too much. Especially that Cups is used on stand alone network Print Servers now, along with routers that are capable.

The only way any of us find these kind of problems and discuss them, is on here and a couple of other boards that everyone is not at each other's throats, even though I am guilty of telling people to search first for if they can find the answer to their problem and then ask questions about how to use the information that they found, so both sides are on the same pages.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Linux SMB not showing up in File Explorer (but can be accessed direct) - Similar Threads - Linux SMB showing

2. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  3. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  4. OneDrive account does not show up as direct folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive account does not show up as direct folder in File Explorer: I have recently tried replacing my old private OneDrive account, to which I no longer have access, with a new one.Everything went smoothly except for the fact that it does not show up directly under Desktop, but rather only as a folder inside Users/username. With my old...
  5. OneDrive account does not show up as direct folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive account does not show up as direct folder in File Explorer: I have recently tried replacing my old private OneDrive account, to which I no longer have access, with a new one.Everything went smoothly except for the fact that it does not show up directly under Desktop, but rather only as a folder inside Users/username. With my old...
  6. OneDrive account does not show up as direct folder in File Explorer

7. Linux in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux in File Explorer: For some reason, after the last Windows 11 Pro update, my File Explorer Pane on my desktop computer now shows a folder titled "Linux", which is an empty folder. I do not have Linux installed. I cannot seem to delete this folder. My laptop does not show this folder. Does...
  8. Linux in File Explorer

Linux in File Explorer: For some reason, after the last Windows 11 Pro update, my File Explorer Pane on my desktop computer now shows a folder titled "Linux", which is an empty folder. I do not have Linux installed. I cannot seem to delete this folder. My laptop does not show this folder. Does...
  9. SMB direct for windows pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    SMB direct for windows pro: Hello, I run windows pro Note that this is not pro for workstations I was exploring the optional features of windows when I saw SMB direct, which is only available for windows 10 Pro for workstations, so is this the actual SMB direct? [ATTACH]...
  10. SMB fileshare files not showing up when accessing from domain name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB fileshare files not showing up when accessing from domain name: The files inside my file shares do not show up at all when i type my domain name in windows explorer but they show up when i access it through my ip. why does this happen?[ATTACH][ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smb direct

2. centos 7 not visible windows 10 file explorer

3. windows 10 what is the difference between smb direct and smb 1.0

4. linux smb server not showing in windows 10,
  5. file not visible on the linux server,
  6. file burned on a linux machine not visible on a windows ,
  7. smb file explorer linux,
  8. linux server file explorer show up windows 10,
  9. driver not showing up on smb server windows 10 1903,
  10. smb direct windows feature,
  11. linux computer not visible in file explorer,