Windows 10: Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs

Discus and support Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Sometimes you might like to have a desktop icon (like Windows) for running an application instead of a generic one. For example - This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs

Hi there

Sometimes you might like to have a desktop icon (like Windows) for running an application instead of a generic one.

For example - This works on a KDE desktop but similar for GNOME etc - say you want to run an application you've downloaded from the net --I'll give an example here - Calibre e-book management.

The Linux binary file will usually show this as its icon when you save the script to the desktop.

Calibre after install Icon on Linux : -

Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs [​IMG]

Now if you click on the icon you will be able to change it to a user png file

the easiest way is to either copy an ico file from windows and save as png or use icofx a windows application (free- but search as latest version are pay) and create one yourself or extract a windows ico file and save as png.

The last freeware version (Windows --works fine on W10) is about nr 3 down in this list

Last Freeware version: DiskDigger, Amic Email Backup, Mystic Thumbs, IcoFX, phpDesigner, Xinorbis

Now you've got a decent icon on your Linux desktop

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2016
  2. kjl1956 Win User

This app can't run on this PC

So of the things to try what was the results on each trying to run the program ?

Could also be your security software, firewall and antivirus.

Are you running a vm desktop or other vm software.

Is hardware virtualization active on the system.

kjl1956, Jun 14, 2016
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Hyper-V Virtual Machine not recognised

Creating VMs can be any version of Windows and even Linux for that matter.

But a VM is like running windows on top of windows so yes you will need a license for every version you are running.

SarahKong, Jun 14, 2016
Thema:

Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs

1. Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs - Similar Threads - Linux VM's User

2. get_iplayer users -fix missing AtomicParsley for tagging - Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    get_iplayer users -fix missing AtomicParsley for tagging - Linux VM's: Hi folks Those of you using the get_iplayer on Linux VM's to download programs from BBC and are getting AtomicParsley errors when the application wants to tag the programs you need AtomicParsley version 0.9.7 here's the fix : run these in a terminal : "wget...
  3. Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm

Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm: Hi folks this is a good one for anybody running Linux VM's 7-Zip FM Nice GUI and works like the Windows version - handles almost any archive format - if you have the 7-zip program on Wondows thie GUI here is almnost identical. (As with most decent Linux software -- Free of...
  4. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  5. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  6. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  7. Program icon on the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program icon on the desktop: I want to add program icons on the desktop. I have a PC running Windows 10. How can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icon-on-the-desktop/270d66fb-772d-4107-90a8-5acfaafc5115
  8. Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata

Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata: Hi there If you like Internet Radio and you have a Linux VM (or even a LINUX HOST) there's a great FREE program - CANTATA out there (actually most stuff on Linux is available FREE). You will need a standard Linux GUI though for the program to run. Unlike most programs...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?: I watched a video about the guy using Windows subsystem and run full Linux desktop without using remote software. There is no white thing on top. He can switch between Linux and Windows using a keyboard shortcut. Linux desktop is smooth, 60 fps, no lag so it means he don't...