Windows 10: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

Discus and support Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows If you like,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 17, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

How to: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

You can also listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone.

This tutorial will show you how to listen to microphone through a playback device such as speakers or headphone in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note If you listen to a connected microphone through speakers, you may hear feedback.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Sound icon.

*note If you like, you can open Run (Win+R), copy and paste the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the "Recording" tab in the Sound panel.

*Arrow rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

2. Click/tap on the Recording tab, and double click/tap on your default microphone device. (see screenshot below)

Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows [​IMG]

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you want to do.

4. Turn On Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Check the Listen to this device box.

C) Under Playback through this device, select the playback device you want to listen through.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. Turn Off Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Listen tab. (see screenshot below)

B) Uncheck the Listen to this device box.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 17, 2018
  2. Allan Mej Win User

Having to unplug microphone to hear playback.

Hi Mark,

There are several audio inputs on your PC depending on your motherboard. It is possible that you are plugging your
    microphone in the jack which supports audio in and audio out (same as phone jacks) and is set as your playback device. When this happens, you will not hear the audio out because the audio signal is sent into the microphone. Simply unplug your
    microphone and move it to the microphone jack and you will be able to hear the playback sound.

Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows 44720e62-c33b-4f4d-b705-c801612e7c5e.png

If you are sure that your microphone is connected to the microphone jack, it is possible that your playback device is being disabled by your microphone. To enable/change your playback device, kindly follow these steps:

• Right-click the Volume icon on the lower-left corner of your screen.
    • Click Playback devices, right-click your speaker (or any preferred playback device), and click Enable.

Note: If you cannot see your preferred playback device, right-click on your current playback device and click
      Show Disabled Devices.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Jess Bor Win User

Microphone delay

Hi Alarask,

We appreciate you posting your concern here in the Community forum. Follow these steps in order to remedy the issue:

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Type in Sound.
    3. Select Recording tab.
    4. Select Microphone.
    5. Click on Properties button.
    6. Select Listen tab.
    7. Uncheck Listen to this device.
    8. Hit OK and go to Playback tab.
    9. Select your playback device and use Properties button.
    10. Select the Levels tab and unmute the microphone.

If those steps didn't fix it, try to unpair the connection and pair it again.

If issue is still there, you may try to update the driver with the use of the steps in this link.

Please reply to this thread for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jess Bor, Oct 27, 2019
  5. ericnixmd Win User
    App-Specific Playback and Recording Preferences

I was able to get this to work with my Philips SpeechMike. In order to do so, I had to right click on the speaker icon, choose sounds, then recording, then double clicked the microphone icon. Under listen, I chose the microphone under playback through this device.

A little trial and error but was able to figure it out. If anyone else is trying to get something similar to occur, you may have to follow the above steps.

ericnixmd, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Unable to record audio from Microphone when connected through AUX

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to record sound when you connect an external Microphone to your PC. I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Run the recording troubleshooter to fix the issue with Microphones.

1. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
    2. Under find and fix other problems click on Recording Audio.
    3. Now click on Run the troubleshooter and follow the instructions.

Method 2:

Enable the Listen to this device settings.

1. Right click on the Speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
    2. Click on Sounds and under
      Recording
      Devices select the Microphone.
    3. Click on Properties and select
      Listen
      tab.
    4. Check the box Listen to this device.
    5. Now select the Default Playback Device under
      Playback through this device menu.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.
    7. Click on OK.

Once the settings are changed you will be able to hear the sound from the default playback device.

Method 3:

Update the audio drivers and check if the Microphone is working fine. Refer the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows - Similar Threads - Listen Microphone through

2. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...: My mic is Maono DM20. It doesnt playback on my speaker but when i connect my earphones to my mic, I end up hearing myself. I've already done all the suggested solutions online but none has worked....
  3. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...: My mic is Maono DM20. It doesnt playback on my speaker but when i connect my earphones to my mic, I end up hearing myself. I've already done all the suggested solutions online but none has worked....
  4. How to stop microphone playback through my earphones although "Listen to Device" is not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Audio playback through headset microphone

Audio playback through headset microphone: Hi there, so to elaborate a little if any sound comes from an app my headset will show that it is transmitting sound through the "headphones" function designed for speakers. but somehow, this sound is also being played through my microphone somehow. Uninstalling the driver...
  6. How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10: Windows 10 allows PC users to listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. In this post, we will show you how to listen to microphone through a Playback...
  7. How do I get the option of listening to my microphone through my playback properies and not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get the option of listening to my microphone through my playback properies and not...: I no longer have the option, nor do i have the option of rollback device. To clarify, I'm able to hit the checkmark of "listen to this device" in my microphome properies, but the option is not their on my headphones and speaker properties, this is important to me cause i need...
  8. Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update

Cannot listen to a microphone through a recording device after Windows 10 update: Hello, after the latest Windows 10 update I've been having some issues with my microphone and making it listen to another recording device. Only playback devices show up in the "playback through this device", while before the update I could pick and choose between both...
  9. listening to my mic through playback settings

listening to my mic through playback settings: so the main objective is to listen to my microphone without a delay, when i do it through the mic settings - there is a lag - and when i try under the playback - the option is just not there. what do i do?...
  10. unable to listen to device through playback settings

unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...