Windows 10: Loading OS on new Hard Drive

Discus and support Loading OS on new Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I need to replace the Hard Drive. I am of average computer knowledge. Talking with Dell. it doesn't sound very difficult to install the OS win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by notsosmart, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Loading OS on new Hard Drive

Hello, I need to replace the Hard Drive. I am of average computer knowledge. Talking with Dell. it doesn't sound very difficult to install the OS win7 using a USB media and the F12 key. Then add in the Drives from my disk I have. Does this sound correct, or will this turn into a nightmare?

Thank You....

:)

notsosmart, Aug 1, 2016

2. Copy OS to new drive on Windows 10

Original title: Upgrading a W10 Hard Drive with a new Hard Drive

I have a SSD hard drive in my PC running W10 and other apps and it is stating that the drive is almost full. It wasn't a very large drive and I am looking to replace it. Can I copy the OS to a new drive then format the old drive or do I need to add the
    new drive and load the OS from scratch then format the old drive?

GaryKarczewski, Aug 1, 2016
  3. windows 10 removed my other windows 10 Operating System.

Hi, I was going to clone my current windows 10 OS (back up). I inadvertently put in the previous hard drive that I had cloned the older current windows 10 OS version on. When I turned on the computer a message loaded indicating hard drive error and then
    windows modified the hard drive. I assumed it was modifying the new hard drive I just connected. To my surprise the older cloned version of my current windows 10 OS then loaded asking for the previous Microsoft password I no longer remember. I then restarted
    the computer with only the current windows 10 OS hard drive to discover it no longer worked. BIOS sees it but does not recognize it as the OS because I believe the hard drive was changed when I first started the computer with both OS connected and the message
    loaded claiming hard drive error and then windows modified that hard drive.

My question … Can someone please advise me on how I can undo the changes made to my current windows 10 hard drive to reactivate it to enable it to be recognized as an Operating System to enable it to load on boot? I have access to an external caddy and another
    computer and Parogon / other software. Just need to know the procedure on what to do to undo the changes made to it.

Cheers ...

keithlyncd, Aug 1, 2016
  4. Loading OS on new Hard Drive

It sounds like you are asking if a clean install on a new hard drive is difficult. If so, no, it is rather easy, if you plan ahead and have everything you need in front of you. You'll need install media, either a Windows 7 DVD or USB flash drive. You'll need your license key, likely found on your computer if it came with Windows 7. You'll also want to have the basic drivers for your computer downloaded and saved on a flash drive, too. I normally only get the chipset, network, and video drivers before hand. Then, you can get the rest from Dell once you have Windows reinstalled and those drivers installed.

DeaconFrost, Aug 1, 2016
  5. yes, that is what I am doing. A clean install. I do have all that. Although, I am not sure about the License Key, but my win 7 media was downloaded from the win 7 OS that came with this computer. I am thinking the license my be on that media??? Also, I have the driver disc that came with this computer. I am amazed that I have these. I do not know what made back up the win 7 onto that USB drive. I can probably call Dell and get that licenses.

Thank You for your confirmation.

notsosmart, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    You may want to check with Dell if you intend on installing Windows 10. They have a list of ones tested and there are some which have serious problems. Although many say not tested which means you are on your own.

Saltgrass, Aug 2, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

If we knew the model name of that Dell desktop then that would help too as Dell often doesn't bother to test older models for the latest OS compatibility.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Loading OS on new Hard Drive

1. Loading OS on new Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Loading Hard Drive

2. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  3. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  4. Load Windows 10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Load Windows 10 on new hard drive: I have a Dell system. System came with Windows 8.1. Several years ago, I took advantage of free version of Windows 10. My hard drive is going bad and I must replace it. I need a way to load Windows 10 on my new drive. Can I create a formattable usb recovery drive? Is...
  5. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  6. Formated drive and no OS will Load

Formated drive and no OS will Load: I formatted my laptop and now cannot load any OS, I can open the the BIOS to set the Boot option. There are no files at all on the hard drive. there is an error message 0xc00000f showing after I run recovery. Have tried running my Win 10 creation tool but will not load....
  7. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  8. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  9. New Hard drive-Install OS without disk

New Hard drive-Install OS without disk: My husband's laptop needed a new hard drive. We bought the laptop refurbished and it didn't come with the Windows 10 disks. We do not have a back up copy. What can I do to reinstall Windows 10? Thanks....
  10. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...