Windows 10: Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login

Discus and support Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by snickerzz, Aug 5, 2015.

1. snickerzz Win User

Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login

So I originally started with a local account but then signed into the store with a MS account. I changed the setting where users are required to enter a password through netplwiz (like this) and making a password not required after waking from sleep. But after doing this and restarting/shutting down, I'm not automatically logged in like I should be, instead I'm presented with a login screen saying the password I entered was incorrect, even though I haven't even entered one yet, as well as two accounts showing up in the bottom left (like this).

It's acting like the local account is still there and is attempting to log me into it. I've looked in the Users folder, it's just the default, mine, and public. Under accounts in control panel it's only mine that shows up. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Using win10 Pro, this was a clean install.

EDIT~ Just solved it :s

Hit the winkey and type "netplwiz" and hit enter.
    If you have the box "Users must enter a username and password..." unchecked, check it and hit apply, otherwise don't do anything.
    Now uncheck the same box and hit apply again, now in the new window that pops up, change the username to your microsoft email that you used to sign into the Windows Store. For the password put in your MS email password.
    Once you've done that hit Okay and restart, it should automatically log you in like normal.

By default the box has the original local account name which is what screws things up.

:)

snickerzz, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Kourtni Win User

Cortana troubles for windows 10 on pc

is there a way to use cortana with my ms account BUT be able to log into my user on my computer as a "local account" or whatever you guys call it? like how i can sign in to my computer without my ms but use my ms account
    for apps. is there a way i can do that with cortana INSTEAD of having to change my normal computer login to this device to my ms account. I do not want to have to log into my device with my ms account but i do want to use cortana. i find it safer to have a
    separate password for my computer than i use for my ms account but if i want to use cortana it is forcing me to change my login for this device to my ms account login and i dont want that. is there a way i can log in normally but still have cortana linked
    to my ms account without changing the login for this device?

Kourtni, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Pedro PDS Win User
    My settings are gone, local and microsoft Account issue.

Hello

I recently purchased a new laptop with window 8 upgraded to 10, where I setup a local user account. This account (and laptop) has been used by me and my wife (with no needed split in user settings, preferences etc.) so far with no issues.

This week some event happened (I don't understand what) that required me to login with my Microsoft account. Since this account is not shared with my wife and that original shared local account that we created in the beginning is no longer available in my
    login screen (I don't know why), I was forced to add my wife's MS account as a user. Therefore now I have two options to login to our machine: via my MS account and via my wife's MS account, each using its own separate password.

This would have been ok, if it wasn't for one major problem: My MS login captures all the original settings, files and folders of that original local account. My wife's MS login does not capture anything at all and is treated as a brand new account to the
    laptop. The result is that she cannot see the computer that she is used to and likes.

I've already gave administrator rights but no change. I have tried to create a different local user 'without a MS account' but the result is the same: no access to my original files and settings. How can I either:

1. Get our shared local login account back with all the original settings? It vanished from my login screen.

or

2. Keep two separate MS logins as we have now, but both having the same access to the files, folders and settings?

Thank you, PDS

Pedro PDS, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login

1. Local account changed to MS account, act as separate accounts at login - Similar Threads - Local account changed

2. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  3. Mistake when change MS account to Local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mistake when change MS account to Local account: After staring my new ASUS installed with Win 11Home Smode using my MS account by mistake when wanted to change my MS account as a local account I missed the settings window with password etc that window closed immediately and now my laptop is a black box and I can not login ....
  4. Login account information in between Local, MS account and domain

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login account information in between Local, MS account and domain: Hi there,I have a windows 10 computer and the initial account is a local account.I signed in with my personal Microsoft accountshows in Settings->accounts and the computer account joined my company domain.Currently, my login is still the local profile and local password...
  5. Can not change MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  6. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  7. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  8. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  9. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  10. Using MS account on a local account for games..

Using MS account on a local account for games..: I have a laptop and there are two users created......one (A) with admin status and a MS account. The other is (B) with a local account credentials. B has no MS account. Can I install games from Windows store on B's login account using my MS account? ...and perhaps some...