Windows 10: Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

Discus and support Local Accounts - Upgrade Question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am building a new tower for my in-laws and nephews. As of now, they want to stay with Windows 7. I'm fine with that, and have a licenses for them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DeaconFrost, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

I am building a new tower for my in-laws and nephews. As of now, they want to stay with Windows 7. I'm fine with that, and have a licenses for them. However, I would like to upgrade it to Windows 10 temporarily, to get their license activated. I will roll it back to Windows 7 and use another key for the time being.

Now here's the question. Normally, I could do a clean install of Windows 10 later on. However, non of them have a Microsoft Account. How would the license be tied to their computer in the future? I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10, then was able to do a clean install. Once I logged in using my Microsoft Account, my laptop was activated. How would this be accomplished on a computer with only local accounts?

Is my only option to create a Microsoft Account just for this computer, so a Windows 10 license gets applied?

:)

DeaconFrost, Aug 23, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Windows 10 local account question

Paul,

Yes, you can log in to your computer on a local user account offline.

You can also log in to your computer on an MSAccount user account offline. However, if there is a technical fault hindering login, it can be very difficult to recover from.

Whether or not you use local accounts for your day-to-day computer tasks, it is always worth having an additional password-protected Admin-level local account on your computer. Then you are prepared to recover from any account corruption issues that might
    arise in the future. You should either write down the password for this additional account somewhere or make a Password Reset Disk for it [see Windows Help]. To avoid any possibility of this emergency account becoming corrupted, you should not use it for
    routine purposes [account corruption is generally caused during use when, for example, a computer crashes or forced off using the power button while the account in question is logged on to it].

Tryx3, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Windows 10 local account question

Does a local account mean I can log in off-line?

PaulGardella, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

Hey mate,

No worries. The free Windows 10 upgrade activation is registered for that PC on Microsoft activation servers when upgraded from an activated Windows 7/8.1 PC.

It doesn't matter if the PC has a local account or Microsoft account. *Smile

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  5. Thanks for the info. I was thinking it tied the hardware hash to the Microsoft Account. Good to know for future family and friend builds.

DeaconFrost, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Local Accounts - Upgrade Question

1. Local Accounts - Upgrade Question - Similar Threads - Local Accounts Upgrade

2. Microsoft Safety Question around local account issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Safety Question around local account issue: HI,So my kid has 2 logins on his computer one local and one microsoft. I recently added family safety and it works great on the account that is linked to a microsoft account. However it doesn't work on the local account. I know it doesn't work. However how can i convert that...
  3. Windows and local account question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows and local account question: Hello I'm going to need to switch my harddrive out soon and read that if i used the activation feature and linked my digital license to a Microsoft account I would be able to add windows to my new HD after I change it. The problem I'm having is that when I login my...
  4. Local Account question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Account question: Hi, I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. And once it is upgraded, I want to get a local account, not a MS account. In reading the steps involved in this process, it says that you will come to a window where you are asked to verify your current...
  5. Quick question about a local account username.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick question about a local account username.: If I set my username to, for example, HeyEveryone. Would it show up like that at the login screen and as a file name? Capital letters and all? Or does it make everything lowercase automatically? submitted by /u/SilentAssaultX [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro USB (Local Account Question): I am going to be purchasing Windows 10 Pro for my new upcoming gaming pc and I have a question will I be able to create a local account? I have read a lot of stuff online about Microsoft hiding this feature and I really don't want to sign up for a Microsoft account since I...
  7. Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question on adding a "local account" to my wife's laptop.: My wife uses a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home on it. She does not sign into any Microsoft account when using the laptop, I believe her account is called a Local Account. I would like to create my own Local Account as an administrator so I can install my own software on the...
  8. Question on local vs microsoft account

Question on local vs microsoft account: Just setting up a laptop for my daughter. 1. Can you still log in to a laptop as a user set with a microsoft account even if there is no internet access? She is likely to need access in places where there is not always internet access. 2. I have the administrator...
  9. Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?

Side effects/questions converting an MS account to a local account?: I have had some annoying MS account related issues on our new laptop (whilst our desktop works fine with our family accounts). See User account and family issues. It's made me consider on the laptop to convert my main administrator MS account login to a local account and...
  10. Local account installation question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local account installation question: Hey all, just wondering what to look for when I get around to installing 10 after the release as to local account setup. It was tricky with 8/8.1 so want to avoid any problems. Skipping step(s), small worded info on lower part of screen, etc. I did a search here and looks...