Windows 10: Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

Discus and support Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On my portable I have a local acct (administrator) and a MS acct (not administrator) users. I am the only user of this computer, a personal computer.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chideock, Feb 13, 2017.

1. chideock Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

On my portable I have a local acct (administrator) and a MS acct (not administrator) users. I am the only user of this computer, a personal computer.

I use the local acct 98% of the time. Is there a method to have the 2 accts synced(mirrored) so that MS acct has everything excactly the same as on the local acct?

I suppose really that I should just merge the two accts to one MS acct as an adminstrator account (remove the local acct but need to retain the setup that is on the local acct) but have no idea how to do that.

:)

chideock, Feb 13, 2017
  2. murra Win User

Merging accounts

Now that MS finally forced me to create MS accounts with their messed up Parental Controls, I am left with two sets of accounts - new MS, and old local ones inherited from 8.1. Is there a way to merge them and avoid losing settings, user files, bookmarks
    and so on?

murra, Feb 13, 2017
  3. Unable to delete unknown Local Account profile

The other day I was trying to project my laptop screen to my smart TV for games viewing and couldn't get it to work. My son suggested setting up a new local account rather than my MS acct to see if that would work. I set up a local acct but it didn't work.
    Now I have an issue whenever I power up the laptop. It asks me to login to an account called "User" for which I have no password. The local acct does not appear but I can get in via email based MS acct. The "User" acct does not appear in the user listings
    and I cannot get rid of it. I can still get into the laptop but it's a pain when it always tries to access the "User" acct first.

I tried setting up a new local acct yesterday which I managed to do then deleted my ms profile but then had to go through the whole set up process of desk top etc. (no biggie but took time).

This morning the new profile has gone and I'm back to the User acct (plus option for MS acct). I can see the new profile under computer management/users, but it says its logged in even though I logged via MS acct profile

Any ideas how I can get rid of the unwanted "User" profile, when it doesn't seem to appear anywhere?

Stuart Blackburn2112, Feb 13, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

5. chideock Win User
    Thank you. I will give it a try later today and post my results.

Got to it sooner than I thought.
    Your method worked perfectly.

Thank you

chideock, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them - Similar Threads - Local Acct user

2. Onedrive syncing desktops of two computers and merging them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive syncing desktops of two computers and merging them: Hi I have the same problem as in the following thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/one-onedrive-account-two-computers-my-desktop/ed565546-0af5-4766-bdf8-730087dd65e4 However, I did not understand the solution as it was not...
  3. 2 Onedrive accounts are merged and I don't them merged>

2 Onedrive accounts are merged and I don't them merged>: I have 2 separate onedrive accounts. One for business and the other personnel. They both have different emails and PW's. Somehow they are merged. I don't know how this happens but I need to separate them if this is possible. I have files showing up on different computer that...
  4. Merge User accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Merge User accounts: Hi, I see only 1 userapart from default user on my laptop in system properties/user profiles. However under C/Users I see another userapart from default and public. The 2nd user is my user name from my prior laptop. I would like to merge the 2nd prior laptop user into the...
  5. local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  6. 2 Microsoft Accounts, need to merge them.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    2 Microsoft Accounts, need to merge them.: I have two accounts and subscriptions under each 2 different emails one email has my xbox sub and the other my 365 sub. As it will not allow me to alias one to the other, is there any way to migrate subs from one account to another to consolidate? As it is now I have to...
  7. Merging two user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Merging two user accounts: I recently got a new computer, today I noticed that I have two user accounts, one by my email and one by my first name. The files shown on my desktop appear to be identical. How can I merge these accounts? I am afraid to delete one because I'm not sure if everything is...
  8. Merged Documents file with User name file in C:/Users by accident and looking to fix them...

Merged Documents file with User name file in C:/Users by accident and looking to fix them...: Hello Today I merged my documents folder with my name folder by mistake, now I have my game saves and apps, programs, files together on the document file that is ment to be Lewis (my name file). The reason this happened was because I moved my documents (using the location...
  9. Merged user accounts!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Merged user accounts!: Two of us use Windows 10. Recently our two accounts seem to have become linked in some way - eg our Word documents will appear on each others list of documents or our desk top pictures appear on the other one's desktop. How can we unmerge?? 132348
  10. MS Acct vs Local acct

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Acct vs Local acct: I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password. What's not to like *Huh Why is a local...