Windows 10: Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Discus and support Local Admin Account vs standard Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by msdragonfan, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP 550-a14 PC might be gone but not sure.

:)

msdragonfan, Nov 6, 2017

2. Windows 10 Home: Local Standard Account Vs. Local Admin Account Vs Ms (Online) Standard User Account Vs Ms (Online) Admin Account: To be, or Not... ?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

What is Microsoft account?

A Microsoft account is an email address and password that you use to sign in to Windows. You can use any email address, but it’s best if you choose the one you already use to communicate with friends and sign in to your favorite websites. When you sign in
    to your PC with a Microsoft account, you’ll connect your PC to the people, files, and devices you care about.

What is local account?

A local account is an account that lets you sign in to only one PC. If you create a local account, you’ll need a separate account for each PC you use. None of your settings will be synced between the Windows 8.1 PCs you use, and you won’t get the benefits
    of connecting your PC to your files, settings, apps, and services online in the cloud and accessible from anywhere. You also won't be able to download apps from the Windows Store without a Microsoft account.

I would like to inform you that, the user account on the computer shall not affect the performance of the computer. The user accounts provided the security to the computer depending on the type of account.

For more information on user accounts, you may refer the following Microsoft help article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/user-accounts-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: The above link applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further assistance on Windows, feel free to post your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Home: Local Standard Account Vs. Local Admin Account Vs Ms (Online) Standard User Account Vs Ms (Online) Admin Account: To be, or Not... ?

Greetings all;

Should I execute all of my Microsoft's Online accounts on Standard User basis or should I execute all of my Microsoft Online accounts on Administrator privileges basis? Should I execute all of my Microsoft Online accounts on Standard User basis and create a
    Local User with Administrator privileges account? If I create a Local User account with Administration privileges, should that affect how Updates and/or software is installed into the computer? How would that be affecting the performance (software & hardware) of
    my computer? And above of all, Pros. Vs Cons. for each option.

All suggestions will be very much appreciated.

reboot xxxi, Nov 6, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Goto Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts which will tell you the status of all accounts.

Generally for security you should be using a User Account for general PC use, web surfing etc. Use the Admin Account for maintaining your PC. I also create a second Admin account on all my PCs to use as a backup in case the main Admin account becomes corrupted.

Steve C, Nov 6, 2017
  5. i went to user accounts and found only 1 account but on outlook.com i had 2 different accounts 1 was from around last year or so the one i am logged into Windows 10 is my most current one as i am not for sure why i had 2 outlook.com accounts so i got rid of 1 of them

msdragonfan, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I hope the one account on your PC is an Admin account? I would create another User account for general PC use and reserve the Admin account for PC maintenance.

Steve C, Nov 6, 2017
  7. The first account you create, during setup of Windows 10, is a member of the "Administrators Group" by default. It is not "The Administrator" though, it is still subject to User Account control Etc. That's for protection from malware etc. Clicking "Run as Administrator" elevates it to the full administrator. That's what you want, and is fine for most people. Any subsequent account created can be an Administrator or Standard User. This has nothing to do with Outlook.com. It's local privileges/permissions. An account setup as Standard user will be prompted for an Administrator Password if they click "Run as Administrator". If the only account setup on that PC is a Standard User (because you deleted the other Admin users) you won't be able to do much. Run as admin won't work as you won't have any valid password to enter. The built in system administrator account is hidden and disabled by default.

I Have tried in the past running with just a Standard user Account. For me, It got old very quickly having to actually type the password in for the other (admin) account every time you have to use "Run as Administrator'.

alphanumeric, Nov 6, 2017
  8. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

i do know on how to Run As Admin in programs which i know on how to do as the other account i mentioned was kind of sort of a doppelganger but mostly an account i didn't use as much

msdragonfan, Nov 6, 2017
  9. Yeah, I did ramble on a bit. *Wink I just didn't want you changing your only account to standard user. That would be bad as you can't switch it back after. Only a member of the admin group can elevate an account to admin.

As far as the outlook.com accounts go, as far as I know anyway, you could have used either to log into Windows. You must have setup a second one at some point accidentally on purpose or something.

alphanumeric, Nov 6, 2017
  10. to be truthfully honest i think the 2nd account in outlook.com as kind of a mistake for me to do

msdragonfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Local Admin Account vs standard Account

1. Local Admin Account vs standard Account - Similar Threads - Local Admin Account

2. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  3. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  4. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  5. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  6. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts: I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network no domain. Each computer has 2 LOCAL non Microsoft accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard user non-admin. Is it possible to set a password policy where the policy can be set against ONLY the LOCAL standard user...
  7. Local admin account vs domain admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  8. Why is a standard account vs admin account recommended?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is a standard account vs admin account recommended?: Why is Microsoft recommending a standard account vs admin account when setting up Windows on a brand new device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-a-standard-account-vs-admin-account/33d9babe-3309-41e8-8743-305f1aa64705
  9. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account vs. Local Account: Primary user here on this computer...if I set up PC as a Local Account do I need a password? I use Outlook as my mail server. Will I have to enter my Microsoft Account password to use Outlook if I initially set up PC as a local account. Basically I want to boot up not...
  10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...