Windows 10: local network 10 to xp ethernet

Discus and support local network 10 to xp ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just up dated four of our computers to windows 10 and set up a wifi network between the 4 computers without too many problems. However I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tegid, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Tegid Win User

local network 10 to xp ethernet

I have just up dated four of our computers to windows 10 and set up a wifi network between the 4 computers without too many problems.
    However I have a problem with a local connection from my main pc (windows 10) to a pc which runs in parallel (pc on windows xp) they are linked by ethernet cable. When I boot the machines in the morning windows 10 displays an icon with the xp pc and all works fine. Later on in the day the xp pc icon has disappeared but working on the xp machine it is still possible to link to the windows 10 machine.
    My question is once the icon has disappeared of the windows 10 pc how can I re-establish to link? It appears that the link still exists but I can't access it.

:)

Tegid, Jan 31, 2016

2. Windows 10 Default gateway not available

After installing windows 10, I lose internet access via the Ethernet, the computer switches to wireless.

Windows 10 reports "no internet" on the Ethernet (local area network).

After running diagnostics on the local area connection I learn: default gateway not available, it may be corrected some times.

Time Warner cable insists the problem is with Windows 10.

This is an annoying problem. Help Please.

John

John ElenaMueller, Jan 31, 2016
  3. dtmail Win User
    Access computer via local Ethernet network

I run win 10 on my main computer, I find it VG. But have a problem with my network password. Not the sign in password or email A/C Pw's, all those are OK. I find now that when I attempt to connect to
    my Win 10 machine from one other machine, (some are Win7, XP, etc) on the same local Ethernet network (no prob with NW name etc), not WiFi, but cable conn, well I can see the win 10 but after attempting a lot of passwords, a/c names, etc, I cannot connect.To
    date all my attempts are rejected. To be quite crystal clear, this is my local peer to peer that works like a charm, except I cannot access this one Win 10 machine, maybe I have simply forgotten the p/w ?? This Win 10 machine can access other comps on the
    network. I just need to access my own machine from one of my own remote computers. Piracy is not on here.

While we are into network passwords, could I ask further about changing all on my local network passwords to be all the same. There is a XP, 2x win 7 and ofcourse the win 10.

I certainly would appreciate some assistance.

Dave

dtmail, Jan 31, 2016
  4. Hydranix Win User

Confusing setup.

When the icon disappears, trying typing the ip of the machine into explorer.

Like this:
    Code: \\192.168.1.178\ or \\10.0.0.28\[/quote] If that don't work, open an admin command prompt and enter this command to see if the other machine shows up
    Code: net view[/quote]

Hydranix, Feb 1, 2016
  5. Tegid Win User
    Thanks for the help - confused setup ? well I must admit when it comes to networks confused sums me up. Over the years I have stuggled mostly due to trying to network various versions of windows.
    The case of the missing icon in windows 10 that shows the pc with windows xp- it appears to come and go. For interest when the icon on the 10 had pc disappeared I could ping from one pc to another - in both directions. Being no expert and not having time to delve into deeper levels of networking and trashing about I decided to map the xp pc on the windows 10 pc - all works well.
    If you wondering why I keep xp? Old but useful software and a 15 year old hp series 1000 laser jet that is my stand by printer - it has seen several other hp printers come and go to the recycle yard!

Tegid, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. local network 10 to xp ethernet - Similar Threads - local network ethernet

2. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...: Hello, the past couple of days, I have been trying to network two older PC's, one a Dell Optiplex 9020, running Windows 10 Pro and an even older eMachines from 2005, still running XP to network up together. Previous attempts were a failure due to poor wireless connection,...
  3. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...: Hello, the past couple of days, I have been trying to network two older PC's, one a Dell Optiplex 9020, running Windows 10 Pro and an even older eMachines from 2005, still running XP to network up together. Previous attempts were a failure due to poor wireless connection,...
  4. Networking 2 computers in a local network at home, Windows 10 and XP, almost but not quite...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. networking windows10 and xp

networking windows10 and xp: I have a large workgroup lan about 20 pcs we have one xp machine tied to a machine control it shares its folder to receive files from other pcs all other machines are win 10 all put one can acccess this xp share I have tried many fixes, there is no firewall or anti...
  6. network/ethernet

network/ethernet: Hello! I would like to know how can I rename my network/ethernet of my pc. Is there any one to help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkethernet/0bd709aa-2a13-4253-a932-6f803fa868b3
  7. Local file sharing via Ethernet network with Windows 10

Local file sharing via Ethernet network with Windows 10: I have a PC with upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 ver 1909 Build 18363.592. I also have a laptop with a new install Windows 10 Home ver 1903 build 18362.592. They are the only workstations on a home network connected via Ethernet. They both use Norton Internet...
  8. ethernet network

ethernet network: how can I change the name of my ethernet network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-network/1cd3a739-a480-4490-9866-79a08a3b5526
  9. Ethernet Light Orange/ "Local Area Network" Not in Network List

Ethernet Light Orange/ "Local Area Network" Not in Network List: Last night I noticed my ethernet light on the back of my computer was orange. I did some research to find the reason. Some websites said it was an increased connection speed. Others said a problem with the connection. The local area network is no longer in the list of network...
  10. Unable to connect to Windows XP computer on my local network.

Unable to connect to Windows XP computer on my local network.: Windows 10 computer unable to see or connect to Windows XP computer on my local network. I have set-up network sharing on both computers linked to network through cable/modem. Windows XP sees Windows 10 computer, but won't connect. Windows 10 computer does not see Windows...