Windows 10: Local network problem

Discus and support Local network problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi again, OS: Windows 10 Fall Creator version 1709 build 16299.19 Have I been stupid again? I changed name of desktop computer and it disappeared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oeivinr, Nov 7, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

Local network problem

Hi again,

OS: Windows 10 Fall Creator version 1709 build 16299.19

Have I been stupid again? I changed name of desktop computer and it disappeared from file manager/network, so I can no longer access it from my laptop. Is there anything I can do to put it back again where it belongs? I sincerely hope so, because a well functioning network is so valuable to my work as a teacher.
    I have a small local network consisting of a desktop and a laptop both running windows 10. The laptop is connected via wifi and the desktop is cabled to the router. Please, help me. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

:)

oeivinr, Nov 7, 2017
  2. BrookeC17 Win User

Local Network Connection Problems

I just upgraded to windows 10 yesterday, installed by a professional.

This is my work computer, so I need to be able to access other computers on a local ethernet network. I can access some of the computers, but the one that is most important that I connect to keeps popping up with an error "PC is not accessible. You might
    not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

I have tried so many different things and nothing will let me have access to this computer.

AGAIN, THIS IS A LOCAL NETWORK; NOT A HOME GROUP.

I have access to others, but not all.

BrookeC17, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Local Network Connection Problems

Good day Brooke,

A possible reason for this issue to happen is the changes made to the network connection settings between the two computers. It would be great if you can provide us with more information about this issue.

• Were there any network connection setting changes made to the PC that you need to connect to?
    • Have you tried running the Network troubleshooter?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 PC?
    The Network troubleshooter will diagnose and fix your PC for any network connection issues found. To find out the version and build number of your Windows PC, click the
    Start button, type winver then hit Enter.

We're looking forward to your response.

Devlin Sco, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Local network problem

Hi oeivinr.

What were you using to share, homegroups, network shares or mapped drives?

If homegroups, remove from all machines and recreate.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  5. oeivinr Win User
    HI,
    Thanx for answering. Both really, but I'd like to have my network put right.

oeivinr, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Agree. So what were you using to share before you made the change and if you were using homegroups then starting fresh accomplishes that.

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    This really is quite simple:

You have a shared folder named MyStuff on a PC named MyMonsterRig. All other computers on your network connect to this shared folder using path \\MyMonsterrig\MyStuff (syntax: \\ComputerName\ShareName).

You change the computer name of MyMonsterRig to DesktopInStudy. The other computers on your network are trying to connect to network shares on \\MyMonsterRig but as this computer does not exist anymore, connection fails. A network share \\MyMonsterRig\MyStuff does not exist anymore, that shared folder is now found at \\DesktopInStudy\MyStuff.

Simple solution: remove current shares on other computers, the ones no longer existing hence failing to connect. Set new network shares using the new, existing computer name.

Kari, Nov 8, 2017
  8. oeivinr Win User

Local network problem

Thanks. Simple for you but, not for a newbie like myself. What exactly do you mean by a network share?. Do you mean files and folders on a computer drive whose properties are set to shared, read and write so that the files and folders can be accessed by other computers on the network.

Quote "Simple solution: remove current shares on other computers, the ones no longer existing hence failing to connect. Set new network shares using the new, existing computer name".unQuote

My laptop cannot connect to my desktop because I changed the name of the desktop. I know how to remove shares on the laptop, but how I set new network shares using the new desktop name? Sorry, I feel completely at sea here.

oeivinr, Nov 8, 2017
  9. oeivinr Win User
    Sometimes I used network share, somtimes I used homegroup. Do you mean that recreating homegroup would also solve the network problem.
    That is have the file manager display the computers under NETWORK.

oeivinr, Nov 8, 2017
  10. Yes it should. That is what homegroups was supposed to be, a simple method to share within a lan.

The information Kari provided is another way to share, in File Explorer you Map a Network drive. You give it a letter and then that letter becomes a drive on your machine only it is pointing at a folder on another device.

There has been plenty of issues with sharing. My first recommendation, make sure all the devices are on a "Private" network. Normally this turns on Discovery. Then delete and re-establish your homegroup.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Local network problem

1. Local network problem - Similar Threads - Local network problem

2. No internet, secured. Local network only problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet, secured. Local network only problem: I tried everything on this forum. I still have internet connection problem.Window 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-internet-secured-local-network-only-problem/98c712e6-4050-428c-b307-857dbb87512e
  3. No internet, secured. Local network only problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet, secured. Local network only problem: I tried everything on this forum. I still have internet connection problem.Window 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-internet-secured-local-network-only-problem/98c712e6-4050-428c-b307-857dbb87512e
  4. Problem Setting Up Local Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Setting Up Local Network: I have four computers that have previously been connected on a LAN. For various reasons updating one of them to Win 10 among other reasons perhaps none of them can connect to each other any more and very few of them can even see each other. I believe I have all the choices in...
  5. local network problem

local network problem: I deleted a shared folder on my main PC. But it is shown in other PCs on local network yet.I can not find the shared folder on maim pc in local network, while I have access it from other PCs!!!I can save files in deleted folder, but I can not find those files in main PC!...
  6. Local network

Local network: Since Microsoft removed HomeGroup I have been unable to connect my computers for File and Printer sharing. I have made sure all the settings are correct, I have found various suggestions about Services, none of which help. This is very frustrating, why can't they leave well...
  7. local network

local network: My local network does not have "homegroup" in has another group "2network" is there a way to add homegroup to this computer so I can logon to my existing network, my other computers are running win10 and win7....
  8. Windows 10 local network problem

Windows 10 local network problem: Please tell me how I can access from my laptop folders stored on my desktop. Both computers use Windows 10. I have recently changed my desktop from one running W7 to a new one running W10. The desktop is connected by cable to a router, which provides a wifi network to which...
  9. Local network problems with 1903

Local network problems with 1903: I have updated 3 of my 4 computers to 1903, now none of them can see each other in the explorer network section, but each of them can see the NAS drive on the network. I have checked the network sharing settings and they are all set as make this computer discoverable. Oddly...
  10. Local network problem

Local network problem: Three PC's A: Windows 10x64 LTSB 1607 Fixed IP 192.168.0.10 B: Windows 10x64 LTSB 1607 Fixed IP 192.168.0.20 C: Windows 10x64 LTSC 1809 Fixed IP 192.168.0.30 A and B can connect to all parts of network C can not connect to either A or B. C can ping 192.168.0.10 but not...