Windows 10: Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110)

Discus and support Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) which is usb connected to a PC which is connected via wireless to my home Netgear router. The other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BigRich, Jul 30, 2018.

1. BigRich Win User

Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110)

I am trying to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) which is usb connected to a PC which is connected via wireless to my home Netgear router. The other host in my house is connected to the router via RJ45.

I have set "sharing" on the target printer as well as the network card in each local host. I have "discovery" set on each host as well. The both hosts are in the same workgroup although not the default Windows "workgroup".

I'm not able to install the printer because it fails discovery and cannot find it if I manually enter the hostname and printer share name either.

I'm not really surprised that I cannot find the printer through the network since I do not even see the host listed in the network viewed from either host.

Is there a setting that I missed? I would like to see the hosts on my local network from each host to the other.

What am I, or Microsoft, doing wrong? This used to be quite simple and I'm guessing it still should be. HELP!

I see the wireless host listed in the media servers which makes it all the more confusing to me. They connect to the Internet with no problems and have coexisted in my network for a long time (not a new installation).

:)

BigRich, Jul 30, 2018
  2. sml156 Win User

Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

Hi Brink great tutorial as usual.

I could not help but notice in step 1 you say to enable " Function Discovery Resource Publication "

In most of the posts I have read on Ten Forums they also suggest to enable " Function Discovery Provider Host "

Are you suggesting that Function Discovery Provider Host is not necessary.

Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) [​IMG]

sml156, Jul 30, 2018
  3. share drives in WORKGROUP

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status

Scroll to the bottom

Click Network and Sharing Center

Click Change advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password protected sharing

Switch between 'Turn on password protected sharing and Turn off password protected sharing'

Then choose 'Turn off password protected sharing'

Then click 'Save changes'

Also:

Press Windows key + R

Type: optionalfeatures.exe

Hit Enter

Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Tick the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client

Untick SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal and

Untick SMB 1.0/CIFS Server

Click OK

Restart if prompted.

Microsoft apparently has a workaround which does not require enabling SMBv1, for those who rely on the ability to 'browse' the network.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/403431...

Explorer Network Browsing

The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function
    without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start). When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows
    devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

ALso..

- shut all computer and network gear down.

- Try browsing to some of the computers manually, press Windows key + R, type: \\computername, hit Enter

- Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

1. Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them toAutomatic (Delayed Start).

2. When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

Press Windows key + X > computer management-->shared folders--> choose the shared folder, right click it then click Properties > Share Permissions -->protection that everyone can read and execute, see folder contents and read permissions.

See this thread for further tips:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2018
  4. Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110)

cannot see workgroup computers

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing a few issues regarding workgroup and LAN. Let me help you resolve the issue.

This issue can be due to two reasons.

• Your computer is not connected to the network. If your computer is not connected to the network, the Network folder appears empty, even if there are other computers and devices on the network.

• Network discovery is blocking you from seeing other computers and devices. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices on the network. To change your network discovery setting, follow
      these steps:

• Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Startbutton, and then clicking
      Control Panel. In the search box, type
      network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click
      Change advanced sharing settings.
    • Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.
    • Click Turn on network discovery, and then click
      save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I hope the information helps you resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you have any queries.We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 30, 2018
Thema:

Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110)

1. Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) - Similar Threads - Local shared hosts

2. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  3. Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect to shared printer in workgroup environment: Dear team, I am trying to connect to the printer from windows 11 which is shared from windows 10 machine. During which i am frequently encountering "windows couldn't connect to the printer check the printer name and try again " i tried each and every step present over...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  5. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  6. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery

Local shared hosts in workgroup not found in discovery: I am trying to share a printer (HP Deskjet 1110) which is usb connected to a PC which is connected via wireless to my home Netgear router. The other host in my house is connected to the router via RJ45. I have set "sharing" on the target printer as well as the network card...
  9. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares: I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply...
  10. Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts

Workgroup shares Windows ID versus Local Accounts: I have so far avoided using Windows ID login (except on a sacrificial VM I use for Windows Insider(*)) as I can no longer access the SMB shares that I have set up. Is there any way for the two to co-exist? I can't get my head round using SMB shares and NTFS permissions...