Windows 10: Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked

Discus and support Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In attempting to set up Cortana, I get the requirement that location services must be turned on. That is greyed out (which makes sense on a desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tugadaq, Aug 25, 2015.

1. tugadaq Win User

Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked

In attempting to set up Cortana, I get the requirement that location services must be turned on. That is greyed out (which makes sense on a desktop with no location capability). But it is then impossible to proceed with Cortana.

Duncan

:)

tugadaq, Aug 25, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 25, 2015
  3. EdwinGair Win User
    Cortana on lock screen

I have set up a new user account. this included a new Microsoft account for that user. As a standard account not administrator. I have been careful to set Cortana up, change lock screen to picture and ensured location was on and region and language match

The problem still exists and the settings screen in privacy/location still shows Cortana greyed out with the message "location history needs to be on"

Edwin Gair

EdwinGair, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 25, 2015
  5. Hi guys,
    I have a similar problem. No matter what I do I cannot click on the location "CHANGE" button in privacy, location settings! It is greyed out and will not respond.

Cheers,
    John.

webmasterasaa, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Okay so I had this issue for the longest frickin time and couldn't figure out how to fix it. But by golly I've done it! Basically you have to go to regedit and go through a process. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3.
    NOTE: This is important. Lfsvc starts with an L, not an I like I thought it did. So you have to go to Lfsvc. Then triggerinfo, then ONLY DELETE folder 3. Restart your computer, and when you open it up again, run (windows key + R) services.msc and locate (pun intended) geolocation services. It will say disabled, you want to right click that and open properties. Then change disabled to automatic. Save that/apply it, and close. You should be okay after that, and locations and Cortana should work. Hope this helps!!!

marycatecahill, Jun 16, 2016
  7. Hi marycatecahill, thank you sooo much. I have carried out your instructions and hey presto, Cortana now works! BINGO!
    Thanks once again!
    John.

webmasterasaa, Jun 17, 2016
  8. timh1111 Win User

Thank you SOOO much Mary!! I followed the directions and Cortana is my friend again!! *Smile

timh1111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Location Greyed Out - Cortana Set Up Blocked - Similar Threads - Location Greyed Cortana

2. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  3. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location access is greyed out: Same issue in W10Pro and W11Pro.Location access is off and greyed out.In W10 it tells me "Some of my settings are managed by my organization" However both PCs are mine self-build and I have Admin rights.W10 gives me 9 configured update policies set on the device Source:...
  4. Location access is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. My location settings are greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My location settings are greyed out.: I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn these on or am I missing something?...
  6. My location settings are greyed out.

My location settings are greyed out.: I am trying to turn on my location, but my choices are greyed out so I can't change them even though I am logged on as administrator. How can I turn these on or am I missing something?...
  7. My location settings are greyed out.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings

in Cortana
    Cortana keeps popping up, but I cannot locate cortana settings: My laptop is 2 years old, but recently cortana keeps popping up.I can't stop it.If I click on the 3 dots on cortana looking for settings, the only choices are 'sign in', 'keyboard shortcut', 'feedback' and 'about', but not settings.If I go into windows settings, there is no...
  9. Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location

Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location: I have just bought a new computer with Win10 V.1607. I am trying to understand what is all very new to me. In Privacy, Settings/Location Location is turned on and I assume Location History is as well however the option to turn Cortana on or off under Choose Apps......... is...
  10. Cortana and Location settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Location settings: After a restart, Cortana always requests that I allow Location settings. I do that, and all is well, until the next restart, when the whole process needs to be repeated. It seems the location setting turn off by itself!!Please help 52732

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\lfsvc\triggerinfo\3

2. how to grey out location on cortana

3. cortana location greyed out windows 10

4. cortana location greyed out on windows phone,
  5. why is the location for cortana is greyed out ,
  6. location history cortana greyed out,
  7. windows location greyed out,
  8. Cortana Greyed Out in Privacy Settings Location,
  9. cortana location settings greyed out