Windows 10: Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10

Discus and support Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 I can find disk optimize by using the search engine in settings, and typing in: "Disk defrag and optimize". Or by right clicking the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mustang, May 24, 2015.

1. Mustang Win User

Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10

In Windows 10 I can find disk optimize by using the search engine in settings, and typing in: "Disk defrag and optimize". Or by right clicking the drive in question > Properties > Tools tab.

But it doesn't show the folder location.

I've searched all the Windows folders such as Win System, Accessories, etc. Can anyone please tell me where it's located?

:)

Mustang, May 24, 2015

2. defrag system file will not go under 12%

On the system disk were the recovery file is located the system file on the disk can not be defrag, the file just started and at first would only defrag to 9% now it is at 12%. This is the first time I have encounter this were a disk or file can not be
    defrag. and get to zero % all others files do at this point. This is the new system 10 I had to install from system 7

RichardDavis211, May 24, 2015
  3. How can i lock disk C from programs data writing in it???

Hello,

Please be informed that, if there are any improper uninstallations then some of the data will be left out in the C: drive based on the location in which those applications/programs are installed.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the Save locations:
    1. Press Windows + I keys from the keyboard to open the Settings.
    2. Select System > Storage from the left pane.
    3. Under Save locations, make the necessary changes according to your requirement.

Also follow the steps to perform disk defragmentation.
    1.Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.

2.Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
    3.To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.
    4.Click Defragment disk. Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.

Notes:
    •If the disk is already in exclusive use by another program or is formatted using a file system other than NTFS file system, FAT, or FAT32, it can't be defragmented.
    •Network locations can't be defragmented.
    •If a disk that you're expecting to see under Current status is not showing up there, it might be because it contains an error. Try to repair the disk first, then return to Disk Defragmenter to try again. See Check a drive for errors for more information.

Also, refer to the below article.
    Free up disk space.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12425/windows-10-free-up-drive-space

Do let us know the update.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, May 24, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

It is still in there, try typing optimize

Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10 [​IMG]

5. Dude Win User
    Or hit all apps and look in the Windows Administrative Tools Folder

6. Cliff S New Member
    Also in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 down to dfrgui.
    Note: most, if not al,l Windows apps and programs will either be in SysWOW64 or system32 folders. If you want to make a shortcut or pin it somewhere, just right click it. I have found this the easiest way since testing Win10, instead of looking all over for something.

Cliff S, May 24, 2015
  7. Mustang Win User
    Thanks Dude, found it OK, but there are some anomalies in my version of W10.

1. If I go to C drive:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ... it shows Administrative Tools which includes Disk defrag. However, when I open All Apps in the desktop start menu, the Windows Administrative folder is not there.

2. If I open Control Panel > Administrative Tools ... there it is.

I'm not sure but think it was in Windows System in W8.1?

#/Cliff S

Thanks you for that useful information.

Mustang, May 24, 2015
  8. Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10

Look under A for Administrator Tools in All Apps. Yep, things are being moved around.

Slartybart, May 24, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    @Mustang I've had it as just plain "Administrative Tools" in the start menu before under "A".

Cliff S, May 24, 2015
  10. Mustang Win User
    I've got nothing under "A" in All Apps. Weird!

I was using Local Account, so switched to Microsoft Account, but made no difference.*Confused

Mustang, May 24, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'll ask anyhow: Upgrade or Clean install? With upgrades some things carry over.

Cliff S, May 24, 2015
  12. hmmm, there used to be a setting "show administrator tools" but I haven't seen that for a while.

Don't know if this will help

try launching an elevated command propmt (right click - run as admin....)
    SFC /SCANNOW
    exit

That has put things back on the menu (things I intentionally removed) on this machine.

The other thing you might try is Settings>Personalization>STart
    toggle on and off the full size menu option. It might just jar a bit that's needed to show the folder in All apps - guessing here too.

Slartybart, May 24, 2015
  13. Mustang Win User

Clean install from stand alone ISO disk created from software download for v10074

Mustang, May 24, 2015
  14. Mustang Win User
    Have already done sfc /scannow twice, and no change. When I open Settings/Personalization it only shows themes.

Mustang, May 24, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I just took a look around on Win10. Go to C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and see if Admin tools is there
    Attachment 19917
    Then it "should" be here(if it's not, I don't know why, but maybe someone else might):
    Attachment 19918

Cliff S, May 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Location of disk defrag/optomize in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Location disk defrag

2. Disk Defrag Parameters.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Defrag Parameters.: Good evening, Code: C:\Windows\system32>defrag.exe /? Microsoft Drive Optimizer Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. Description: Optimizes and defragments files on local volumes to improve system performance. Syntax: defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [<task(s)>] [/H] [/M [n] |...
  3. Disk and defrag problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk and defrag problem: My hard disk response time and usage so high i tried cmd like scannow even did reset whole pc windows again but didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-defrag-problem/82db8693-2e98-46cb-9aa6-5d347f4e65dc
  4. Disk Defrag Slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Defrag Slow: I'm trying to defrag an external 4TB HDD. It's been a couple hours and I'm at Pass1: 1%. Now, I know 4TB is a lot, but at this rate it will take all week to get through pass 1. Maybe it won't be linear or defragging is just really hard work for some reason, so I check my...
  5. Help with disk defrag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with disk defrag: Hello! Having issues with very slow, very loud, very hot Dell laptop. Tried to disk defrag multiple times, restarted multiple times, every time it just keeps saying Hard disk is 28% fragmented. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to run Mtg Arena, which from my understanding is not...
  6. defrag disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defrag disk: How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4
  7. Windows 10 disk defrag not there.

Windows 10 disk defrag not there.: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and two SSD's. I wanted to setup defrag to run trim regularly but disk defrag does not seem to be installed. When I go to the tools of my SSD and click optimize nothing happens and the disk defrag service is not even installed. How can I resolve...
  8. Windows 10 disk defrag not there.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 disk defrag not there.: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and two SSD's. I wanted to setup defrag to run trim regularly but disk defrag does not seem to be installed. When I go to the tools of my SSD and click optimize nothing happens and the disk defrag service is not even installed. How can I resolve...
  9. Defrag Disk Not Available

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag Disk Not Available: Hello all, I need some quick and urgent help about this application. I keep getting the following error when I try to start up my Defrag Disk app: [ATTACH] I don't understand why this happened, so I went did the following: 1) Windows + R 2) Typed services.msc 3) Hit...
  10. Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!

Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!: I really think MS should come up with a better way to put these two Disk Defragmenting and Optimizing into they're own seperate location that is meant for the different drive that users have on they're computer like put the Disk Defragmantation in the Hard disk drive location...