Windows 10: Location System Icon

Discus and support Location System Icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have windows 10 pro and if I go to settings, then system, then notifications and actions and then turn system icons on or off, I'm presented with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nickynoo, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Nickynoo Win User

Location System Icon

Hi I have windows 10 pro and if I go to settings, then system, then notifications and actions and then turn system icons on or off, I'm presented with a list of various settings to turn on and off, one of the settings is location, it is off and it is greyed out. Ive restarted numerous times, Im located in South Africa and I have changed my region to the United States so that I can use cortana but it remains the same.
    Why is it like this?

:)

Nickynoo, Oct 27, 2015

2. greyed out icons

windows 10 turn =settings = system icons on or off = 'power' and 'location' icons greyed out

StefanVizy, Oct 27, 2015
  3. (MICROSOFT MY PHONE APPLICATION) PREMIUM AND NON-PREMIUM FEATURES (HTC HD2)

Is the Location Service Settings enabled?

I do not have the HTC HD2 but am using the Verizon HTC Imagio. Under the System folder there is an icon for Location Settings. If you have that icon, click on it and see if Location Service Settings is turned ON and that the HTC Location Service is checked.

Jack Cook

http://www.experiencemobility.net

http://www.mobilitysite.com

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Oct 27, 2015
  4. Nickynoo Win User

Location System Icon

Obviously nobody knows

Nickynoo, Nov 10, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Mine is also greyed out too.

But, if you go ........Settings > Privacy > Location ..................

davidhk, Nov 10, 2015
  6. Nickynoo Win User
    Yeah if I check the way you say, location is turned on. Hopefully itll be fixed in future builds.

By the way im on the slow ring (got 10565) and it seems to do more loading at startup - driving me insane. I sometimes need to restart to get things working properly. Do you have any idea when a new build for the slow ring is getting released. Ive heard hints of 15 November and I hope thats true, wanna change this build but I dont wanna switch to the fast ring.

Nick

Nickynoo, Nov 10, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    I cannot help you about slow loading.

As to newer builds, you are 2 builds behind....... 10576 and the most current one 10586.
    Microsoft has just released 10586 in Slow ring about 2 days ago.
    You should get it from your Windows Update by now ?
    Why not go back to Fast ring ?

davidhk, Nov 10, 2015
  8. Nickynoo Win User

Location System Icon

I changed to fast ring after pressing the update now button on slow ring and it telling me my device is up to date. Just checked updates on the fast ring and im also up to date. Going to restart to see if that helps.

Nickynoo, Nov 10, 2015
  9. I may not be understanding, but the location icon represents the computer looking for it's current location, possibly through GPS (if your device has it) or wi-fi networks, etc. It has nothing to do with the region you choose in the settings. That's the point, however. If your traveling to a new city, your weather app, as an example, will show you local weather.

DeaconFrost, Nov 10, 2015
  10. davidhk Win User
    If you just changed from Slow to Fast ring, it will take a few hours for your system to register the change.
    Gabriel Aul once mentioned something like 24 hours.
    But in my case, it took 8+ hours.

davidhk, Nov 10, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    Sorry, I have no answer for your question.

davidhk, Nov 10, 2015
  12. Nickynoo Win User
    deaconfrost - OK when I go to settings > system > notifications and actions > turn system icons on or off ---- the location "switch" is off and it is greyed out. What does this mean?

billy268 - I'm busy downloading 10586 on the fast ring

Nickynoo, Nov 10, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Location System Icon

Same for me on 10586. It is in the "settings > system > notifications and actions > Select which icons appear on the taskbar" section as well (where it is not grayed out).

What have you got on settings > privacy > location? That must be turned on if you want apps to find your location. I show all icons and it flashes up for a second or 2 on boot. Never noticed it at other times.

14. caperjack Win User
    not sure if it the same for your area but I'm in Canada and with the latest build my Cortana now works ,it never in previous build s

caperjack, Nov 11, 2015
  15. Nickynoo Win User
    halasz - your first suggestion - settings > system > notifications and actions > Select which icons appear on the taskbar - location was off, Ive now turned it on.
    Your second suggestion settings > privacy > location - location was on and ive left it on.

But still - settings > system > notifications and actions > turn system icons on or off ---- the location "switch" is off and it is greyed out.

Nickynoo, Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

Location System Icon

1. Location System Icon - Similar Threads - Location System Icon

2. imageres.dll icon locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    imageres.dll icon locations: Hi, I'm making an iPack for my Vista Transformation Pack. Could someone tell me what the number of the USB icon is?+This question isn't really related to my first subject but can anyone tell me why I'm called Default_61 now? I don't remember changing my name...
  3. imageres.dll icon locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    imageres.dll icon locations: Hi, I'm making an iPack for my Vista Transformation Pack. Could someone tell me what the number of the USB icon is?+This question isn't really related to my first subject but can anyone tell me why I'm called Default_61 now? I don't remember changing my name...
  4. imageres.dll icon locations

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Icons Location . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons Location . . .: I got a new, Dell computer.The, OS was already installed.The Icons, were all on the left side.I tried, to move them to the right.But, they just slapped right back?So, what's the answer?Thanks for reading . . . Jerry...
  6. Icon location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon location: Some programs make their folders with a picture ,where are the icon location of this folders? if i try to change icon in properties and that show me %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll, but where is actual ican location? [ATTACH] [Moved from: Microsoft Education / Windows...
  7. Where is this Icon located at?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is this Icon located at?: I know where most of Windows 10 Icons are located at, but this one I can't find. [img] I've looked everywhere, imageres.dll for a start and 9 other .dll files that have icons sets that I know of. I can't find this one. Hopefully someone might know where it's hiding at....
  8. Change location of the action center icon on system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Change location of the action center icon on system tray: Hi, I have the taskbar vertically positioned, and the action center icon gets too much space, alone and not with other system tray icons. [img] I would like to put the action center icon along with the other system tray icons, and not alone. Someone can help ? Windows...
  9. Location of new system icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Location of new system icons?: Is there a system file that contains the various new icons found throughout Windows 10 – something along the lines of imageres.dll? It would be nice to use some of these for shortcuts. [img] 23429
  10. Windows location icon in system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows location icon in system tray: After updating to the Creators Update (1703), everytime I click the action center the icon for location is in my system tray until I shut down my PC. It's very minor I know, but I'm very sensitive to this sort of behaviors. Previously in older Windows 10 versions I could...