Windows 10: Lock Screen closing applications

Discus and support Lock Screen closing applications in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, so I'm new to windows 10. Cleaned my laptop completely by resetting it and when I tried to install old games using steam had to download the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hugo, May 8, 2016.

1. Hugo Win User

Lock Screen closing applications

Hey, so I'm new to windows 10. Cleaned my laptop completely by resetting it and when I tried to install old games using steam had to download the updates again. But now when the screen locks it closes down steam and the updates don't download. This is really frustrating due to the fact I don't have very fast internet so updates for games can take a long time. When running windows 7 I could leave my laptop on during the day and at night to finish updating, is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks

:)

Hugo, May 8, 2016

2. Lockscreen (StandBy) messes up many of my apps. E.g. my podcasts stop downloading, Voice Recorder stops recording, etc

It depends on the application. Application developers can choose whether or not to allow their application to run behind the lock screen. By default an application will not run behind the lock screen, so it gets closed after the lock screen appears and restarts
    when the device is unlocked.

|
    http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP | Software Engineer

Joel Ivory Johnson, May 8, 2016
  3. ogrigley Win User
    Windows 10 Lock Screen Issue

Why would the OS decide to close all programs/applications open when locking screen?

I understand disabling the lock screen and switching to sign-in option availability but that does not

make any sense why when one decides to lock their PC for a brief time then come back to sign in only

to find out everything that was up and running was closed.

Is there a particular reason for setting the Lock Screen this way? Security issue?

Mainly saying for home use computer with only one individual using it. The lock screen goes to sign-in

so why the difference? Why isn't there an option to allow open programs/applications to remain open

when someone decides to lock their screen?

ogrigley, May 8, 2016
  4. pete1208 Win User

Review your power options and advance power options. You may need to install windows 10 updates for a while to get smooth running.

You can prevent the machine from going to sleep for and hour or more so all the updates get installed. Just keep going into settings update and checking.

Also, double check device manager and make sure their are no unknown devices after the updates are done, I would down load them from my rigs vendor. If no win 10 version, then look for 8.1 or win 7.

Good Luck

pete1208, May 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Lock Screen closing applications - Similar Threads - Lock Screen closing

2. Lock screen application selections not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen application selections not appearing: When I initially updated to Windows 11, the weather would appear on the lock screen. Then, after opening the weather app and updating to my location, it updated on the lock screen as well. All was well. However, not a week later now I do not see the weather on the lock...
  3. Lock screen application selections not appearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen application selections not appearing: When I initially updated to Windows 11, the weather would appear on the lock screen. Then, after opening the weather app and updating to my location, it updated on the lock screen as well. All was well. However, not a week later now I do not see the weather on the lock...
  4. Lock screen, Taskbar, Applications & Shortcut Issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock screen, Taskbar, Applications & Shortcut Issues: I woke up in the morning finding out that my HDMI cable was stolen.I still have no idea who did but as I replaced it with a new HDMI cable, my device acted strange As seen in the images aboveAs I was placing the new HDMI cable, the monitor stated that the DVI cable was...
  5. Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lock Screen is closing all of the programs: So, Here is what is happening whenever I lock my computer after logging back in after 5 minutes it takes a little time more than usual to go to the password screen and it takes time after entering the password than usual. The worse thing is that it closes all the open...
  6. Applications closing autometically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Applications closing autometically: Hello everyone, Recently I am facing an issue. Suppose I am playing a game for quite a long like 30 min or 40 min all of a sudden it closes automatically without showing any error messages. Not only games, sometimes resource hungry software such as visual studio or android...
  7. Applications accidentally closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applications accidentally closed: A good enhancement would be able to put a lock on an application you don't want to accidentally shutdown. I often have multiple apps open and sometimes I accidentally close the window for an app by pressing the X in top right corner. It would be helpful if I could CHOOSE to...
  8. Close and Force Close application

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Close and Force Close application: I've been using mac my whole life but yesterday I got a Dell E7450. I like it and its got track-pad gestures like macOS, though they aren't as smooth and fluid, but I'm still trying to make it as similar to my macbook as i can. The main problem is closing an application. On...
  9. Applications Now Showing Up In Lock Screen.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Applications Now Showing Up In Lock Screen.: Why does my locked screen not show chosen app? ***Moved From: Windows 10/Desktop, Start, & personalization/Desktop*** ***Changed Original Title From: Locked screen***...
  10. Locking an open application from being closed on guest account

in Windows 10 Support
    Locking an open application from being closed on guest account: I need to run an application on a guest account that will be shown on a secondary monitor. My hope is that there is a way to keep anyone using the guest account from closing the window without an admin password. Any alternative ideas would be appreciated as well. Thanks in...