Windows 10: Lock screen image on laptop changes each time but not on desktop

Discus and support Lock screen image on laptop changes each time but not on desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every time I boot or wake from sleep, my laptop displays a cool new image from Bing, presumably, but on my desktop this does not happen - I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KeithJB, Dec 1, 2016.

1. KeithJB Win User

Lock screen image on laptop changes each time but not on desktop

Every time I boot or wake from sleep, my laptop displays a cool new image from Bing, presumably, but on my desktop this does not happen - I get the same image every time and I'd like it to change too.

I have the Settings... lock screen.. open on both and they both are set the same to "Windows spotlight"

Both are on the same anniversary update.and build.

It's bugging me because I can't figure it out!! Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Keith

:)

KeithJB, Dec 1, 2016

2. Feature Request: Random change of lock screen image from folder

Windows 10

On Settings, Lock Screen, Background:

Add: "Picture (randomly change)"

Config:

• When "Picture (randomly change)" is selected, add "Choose Album for your random picture selection." (much like the current 'Slideshow' option Album selection).
    • Another option could be how often to change:
      • Daily
      • Every x hours
      • Every Lock Screen (new image for each lock screen)
    Currently: When a user tires of the same Lock Screen image, they manually change it.

Request: For "Picture (randomly change)", select a different image from the selected / configured Album. Each time the user is presented with a Lock Screen, they see a different image from the Album. The system would select the image from
    the album randomly.

Notes: This is not a request to replace the Slideshow option. For this new option, when the Lock Screen is viewed, the image would remain static (not change) until the next Lock Screen (after logging on to a Windows session and subsequently
    coming back to the Lock Screen by one of several mechanisms, whether it be for the home user or the corporate energy saving policy member.

Also, this would be a much more energy efficient option than the Slideshow option, since it would just select a single image and the monitor would still power down per the Power settings just like the standard "Picture" option. It merely displays a different
    image each time (or on a scheduled basis) the Lock Screen is invoked.

So this allows a user to display their own images, their favorite images, etc. over time without a) using a Lock Screen slideshow, and b) also having a desktop Screen Saver configured. On that last point: Windows 10 currently does not allow there to be
    a Lock Screen Slideshow configured simultaneously with a Desktop Screen Saver configured. This new option would appease to the users that are unhappy with that restriction.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal, Dec 1, 2016
  3. lock screen wont stay on Surface 3

I have uploaded a personal picture for my lock screen on my surface 3. Each time I am timed out, restart, or just lock the PC, the lock screen changes. The picture is the same one for my desktop and the desktop does not change. Does any one know of a fix
    for this. I have to browse my pictures again to add the picture each time.

Alicia

AliciaChatman, Dec 1, 2016
  4. SonicBlue Win User

I think that Windows knows it distinguish the difference if it's a laptop or desktop. What is the setting in Settings-System-Tablet Mode- "Use the appropriate mode for my hardware"
    Since laptops have a sensor for rotating screens, right? and desktops don't...right?

SonicBlue, Dec 2, 2016
  5. KeithJB Win User
    Well when I said rotating, I meant it shows a new picture each time I see the lock screen on my laptop whereas on my desktop it's always the same image.

I understand what you are saying about rotating on a laptop but that's not what I meant. Sorry. Bad choice of words on my part! I updated the title!

KeithJB, Dec 2, 2016
  6. SonicBlue Win User
    If you have the lockscreen set to Windows Spotlight it will choose random pictures. Settings-Personalization-Lockscreen

SonicBlue, Dec 2, 2016
  7. KeithJB Win User
    I have it set to Windows Spotlight per my original post but the image is always the same.

KeithJB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lock screen image on laptop changes each time but not on desktop - Similar Threads - Lock screen image

2. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen not changing to custom image.: I am attempting to change my lock screen image to one I have saved on my computer, but when I select the image in settings, the preview goes blank and just endlessly has a spinning loading circle, and even restarting my computer multiple times hasn't allowed me to change it....
  3. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen not changing to custom image.: I am attempting to change my lock screen image to one I have saved on my computer, but when I select the image in settings, the preview goes blank and just endlessly has a spinning loading circle, and even restarting my computer multiple times hasn't allowed me to change it....
  4. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't change the screen lock image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change the screen lock image: Hi. I wanted to change the lock screen images from the windows spotlight into a personalized images presentation.I tried to set the presentation settings and a folder that has in it various images but, when I lock the screen or after I start up the pc after I suspend it, it...
  6. Can't change the screen lock image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change the screen lock image: Hi. I wanted to change the lock screen images from the windows spotlight into a personalized images presentation.I tried to set the presentation settings and a folder that has in it various images but, when I lock the screen or after I start up the pc after I suspend it, it...
  7. Changing the Default Lock Screen Image

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the Default Lock Screen Image: I looked into changing the default lock screen image that's shown after a restart, not the one you might choose like Windows Spotlight. Here's the normal default: [img] Supposedly you can do that by changing a registry setting:...
  8. Changing My Lock Screen Image

Changing My Lock Screen Image: Hello everyone! I'm trying to change my lock screen wallpaper but the image I want won't appear as an option. Does anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-my-lock-screen-image/d5d7d8ab-c3a0-4942-b28f-d19f5f28f5dd
  9. Automatically change welcome/lock screen background image at each boot

Automatically change welcome/lock screen background image at each boot: I am aware of the guide to change the lock screen background image, in fact I have a customized image. But is there a way to cycle through a folder images and change the lock screen image automatically? Perhaps using a batch file at every startup so it simply picks the next...
  10. Can't Change Lock Screen Image

Can't Change Lock Screen Image: I am trying to change the image on my Lock Screen but when I click on a replacement image the spinner just keeps going round and nothing happens. All was working well the last time I changed the image but that was weeks ago. Any thoughts please? I have also discovered that I...