Windows 10: Lock screen problem

Discus and support Lock screen problem in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; HI! I was trying to disable my lock screen with the run - netplwiz - User Accounts method. I think I may have mixed up my password and pin numbers.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by cedar, Aug 5, 2017.

1. cedar Win User

Lock screen problem

HI!

I was trying to disable my lock screen with the run - netplwiz - User Accounts method.
    I think I may have mixed up my password and pin numbers. It let me change the settings but when I restarted I get the lock screen with a message "The username or password is incorrect". Upon clicking "OK" I then have 2 separate listings of my user name "even though I only have one account" and can login from there. And the settings are now set to NOT require a password at startup. It's just stuck on the wrong password/username thing.

Can someone please .tell me how to get fix this?

:)

cedar, Aug 5, 2017
  2. 7thSense Win User

Lumia 930 Slow to Wake Up

It's actually not the Photo lock screen that had the problem. It is Live Lock Screen. So you can still use Photo option for your lock screen. However, if you install and reactivate Live Lock Screen, the problem will come back. I suggest you wait reinstalling
    Live Lock Screen until it is out of beta.

7thSense, Aug 5, 2017
  3. My mouse pointer is a pixelated square on Windows 10 startup screen

You should find the "beach cave" picture in the Lock Screen menu :

Settings > Lock Screen

I don't think it was the problem because my lock screen (welcome) picture was a personal one and I had the problem.

SergeHarvey, Aug 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Lock screen problem

System Restore? Do you have any restore points?

Failing that, you could restore your registry backup offline if it's not been overwritten. I.e. boot from a bootable rescue disk and restore it.

And of course if you use disk imaging routinely as we recommend, you will have one or more images you can restore if all else fails.

Here's a safe way to do what you were trying to do:

Lock screen problem [​IMG]

Free tweaker- full explanation via the URL.

And a tenforums tutorial:
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

dalchina, Aug 5, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  6. cedar Win User
    Thanks for responding dalchina.

I just bought this computer.
    !st day using it.
    Don't even know if system restore is turned on.
    I'm going from windows 7 to windows 10 for the 1st time so everything is new/different to me.
    Let me look at some of the thing you posted.

cedar, Aug 5, 2017
  7. cedar Win User
    Hey Brink!

Thanks for responding.
    After reading your post I got to thinking and just changed the settings back to require password to login, restarted, logged in and THEN changed it to have windows log in automatically for me and it seems to be working.
    I should have tried resetting it in the 1st place.

Thanks to you and dalchina both for your help!

Now if I can only figure out why I don't have a "control panel". lol
    Mine doesn't come up when I right or left click start button like I have seen in other windows 10 videos.

cedar, Aug 5, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Lock screen problem

Great news cedar.

Entering your PIN instead of the password is what caused netplwiz to fail signing you in at startup.

The tutorial below can help show you how to open the Control Panel. Be sure to look at the related tutorial links at the bottom for more options.

*Arrow Open Control Panel in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  9. cedar Win User
    Wow you're just full of it Brink!

And by "it" I mean helpful, timely information.
    Thanks again for all your help!

cheers

cedar, Aug 5, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome cedar. *Smile

Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  11. cedar Win User
    Well tried the settings changes in Local Group Policy and still didn't get control panel showing in my right-click start menu.
    I just did a search for control panel and pinned it to the start menu.

*Thumbs

cedar, Aug 5, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 5, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Lock screen problem

That video was of an earlier version of Windows 10, the Creators Update (aka version 1703) changed that part of the Start menu from 'Control panel' to 'Settings' because with each new version of Windows 10 more settings have been moved from the old control panel into the Settings app. Microsoft apparently see 'Settings' as the more useful of the two now.

Over the years there have been a lot of such changes, you'll find a lot of out of date information on other sites. Not on TenForums though, Brink works hard to keep the tutorials bang up to date.

14. dalchina New Member
    Glad you're up and running again.

Please consider using disk imaging routinely to support your computer now it's up and running again. That should be your first priority before something happens to make your PC unusable again.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Everyone who contributes regularly here uses and recommends disk imaging.

If you use it, you can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Lock screen problem

1. Lock screen problem - Similar Threads - Lock screen problem

2. Problem with lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with lock screen: Since some months ago I have been unable to change my lock screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/5777232c-510a-4180-bf3d-1b9e828fd7d5?messageId=c7a1ab0d-83ad-4369-b8b7-6aa9bbaa079d exactly the same...
  3. Problem with lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with lock screen: Since some months ago I have been unable to change my lock screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/5777232c-510a-4180-bf3d-1b9e828fd7d5?messageId=c7a1ab0d-83ad-4369-b8b7-6aa9bbaa079d exactly the same...
  4. Problem with lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with lock screen: The new screen that Windows add in Windows 10 before the login screen has given fits lately. When I start the computer "Lock Screen?" will not allow the login screen to show. There is a delay, seems like eternity :, before I can get the password screen to load. What is wrong...
  5. Problem with lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with lock screen: The new screen that Windows add in Windows 10 before the login screen has given fits lately. When I start the computer "Lock Screen?" will not allow the login screen to show. There is a delay, seems like eternity :, before I can get the password screen to load. What is wrong...
  6. Problem with lock screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Lock screen problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock screen problems: Hi everyone I cant see the pictures I downloaded from chrome When I go to the lock screen and it gives me the option to use a slideshow, I select there and it opens a window so I can select the pictures I want to add to the slideshow, the problem is that no pictures appear...
  8. Problem with the lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Problem with the lock screen: My windows spotlight does not show pictures in the lock screen. this problem has started when i reset my PC. PLEASE HELP! I have tried all the solutions given under similar solutions but it gave no results...
  9. Lock Screen Problem

Lock Screen Problem: Hello, I'm using Windows 10 Pro. No matter what Lock Screen picture I select to show during my log-in all that shows is a blank, picture-less background. Sometimes it's a grey background, other times a blue background. But no picture. Does anybody know why my lock screen...
  10. Problem: Lock Screen is changing?

Problem: Lock Screen is changing?: Can anyone help me with my lock screen it always changing or making its own picture. Even though I set it with the picture I like. Anyone? *Sad *Sad 36756