Windows 10: Locked Out of Laptop (Windows 10)

Discus and support Locked Out of Laptop (Windows 10) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My daughter locked us out of our computer. She set up windows 10 and had herself as the only user on the laptop. She can't remember her password and we... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Vesh, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Vesh Win User

Locked Out of Laptop (Windows 10)

My daughter locked us out of our computer. She set up windows 10 and had herself as the only user on the laptop. She can't remember her password and we can't reset with Microsoft (she has never used her Outlook account and put in the wrong phone number to have the code sent to). Our vacation videos and family pictures are on this laptop and I don't want to have to wipe it. Is there any way I can log in as a different user to retrieve them? I cannot find any option for this on the startup screen. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

:)

2. rubyt1976 Win User

Locked out of Windows 10 laptop

I have a laptop, only about 6 months old and I gave it to my Mum. It was running really slow so I did a factory reset to bring it back to how it was. I set it up with her email address but entered that the address ended in .com instead of co.uk. Now I
    can't log into the laptop. It won't recognise the password I set up so I'm guessing a verification code was sent to the incorrect email address. I've tried to sort out by filling out microsoft forms online, doesn't work. I've tried virtual support, doesn't
    help, asked to chat to a Microsoft person but I waited for 30 minutes and ti wouldn't connect me to anyone. I am now left with a laptop that is unusable and I am so fed up. Writing this from my extremely reliable Apple Macbook!

rubyt1976, Jul 15, 2017
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Locked out of Windows 10 laptop

We understand we're you're coming from, Ruby. Let's have a go with resetting your PC but this time, create a Local Admin Account first and then add the account of the person who would use the device. This way, if there would be issues with newly added account,
    we would have a method of troubleshooting. Follow this article under
    Reset your PC and then look closely at the Note for instructions.

Update us if there are improvements.

Ian Ser, Jul 15, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Bastet, Jul 15, 2017
  5. Welcome to the TenForums @Vesh

You can also use option four of this tutorial

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

With the built in admin you can reset daughters password.

Further you can boot your device with a free copy of Ubuntu, don't install, just test, and use its graphical file explorer to copy data out. You may have to set Secure Boot to disable in BIOS depending on how new your machine is.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 15, 2017
  6. Vesh Win User
    Thank you both for responding. Trying to make a boot disk now with the link that Bastet gave me. Unfortunately Option Four wasn't viable due to the fact that Windows+R won't work on the login screen. Sorry if I sound naive, I'm rather computer illiterate compared to you folks. I really appreciate the quick responses and willingness to help though, thank you.

7. My error. That tutorial has changed. Option 5. I have to read more carefully.

8. Vesh Win User

Argh, now it's going to the automatic recovery screen
    saying a critical system driver is missing or contains errors
    [File:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\WRkrn.sys
    Error code: 0xc000007b]
    I put in the usb drive and it doesn't see it, and the F8 startup settings just take me back to the previous screen. I'm worried I broke it now. Any thing I can do other than pound my head on the table cursing obscenities?

9. Bastet Win User
    Often there's a different F number to press at startup to change the boot order; mine is F7.
    Post your device's manufacturer & we'll see if there's something to do to help with that.

Bastet, Jul 15, 2017
  10. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Jul 15, 2017
  11. Vesh Win User
    It's an Asus laptop, as soon as I turn it on now it goes to automatic recovery, displaying a blue screen saying YourPC/Device needs to be repaired, then listing the file lines I listed in my last post. It says to press F8 for startup options, but choosing any of the nine options just takes me back to the previous screen. Thanks again for your help and advice on this.

12. Bastet Win User
    Bastet, Jul 15, 2017
  13. Vesh Win User

It still takes me to the same screen with the same error. I can get to the bios screen but that's a bit out of my league.

14. cereberus Win User
    Another option is to remove the drive (very easy on a laptop usually) and put it in a usb caddy and simply plug drive into another pc. Only a few pounds from Amazon.

cereberus, Jul 15, 2017
  15. You didn't say which Asus laptop. Yesterday we had an Asus and the key to tap repeatedly as soon as you power on was F2.

Please post model info for your device.

Thema:

1. Locked Out of Laptop (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - Locked Laptop

2. How to turn off caps lock pop up in windows 11 HP laptop? I have tried out all the possible...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off caps lock pop up in windows 11 HP laptop? I have tried out all the possible...: I have tried out all the possible solutions listed but it went in vain. Also tried changing it from control panel and also removing startup apps. This issue has started on its own suddenly....
  3. How to turn off caps lock pop up in windows 11 HP laptop? I have tried out all the possible...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off caps lock pop up in windows 11 HP laptop? I have tried out all the possible...: I have tried out all the possible solutions listed but it went in vain. Also tried changing it from control panel and also removing startup apps. This issue has started on its own suddenly....
  4. How to factory reset a Windows service laptop if it has a bios lock and you can't access...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to factory reset a Windows service laptop if it has a bios lock and you can't access...: I bought a laptop that has has a bios lock and I can't access the security tab to disable it for a windows service laptop. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-factory-reset-a-windows-service-laptop-if/1fff713a-c794-4833-bfbd-12e5ce35cf4e
  5. How to factory reset a Windows service laptop if it has a bios lock and you can't access...

How to factory reset a Windows service laptop if it has a bios lock and you can't access...: I bought a laptop that has has a bios lock and I can't access the security tab to disable it for a windows service laptop. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-factory-reset-a-windows-service-laptop-if/1fff713a-c794-4833-bfbd-12e5ce35cf4e
  6. I lock my laptop now I want to unlock this

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I lock my laptop now I want to unlock this: At first my laptop is lost then I lock this laptop and when I find my laptop I tried to unclock it but it can't be unlocked please solve my problem and unlock it...
  7. I lock my laptop now I want to unlock this

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I lock my laptop now I want to unlock this: At first my laptop is lost then I lock this laptop and when I find my laptop I tried to unclock it but it can't be unlocked please solve my problem and unlock it...
  8. I lock my laptop now I want to unlock this

9. How to lock my stolen laptop if i cannot locate it on find my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to lock my stolen laptop if i cannot locate it on find my device: My laptop was stolen i can see the location on the map but i can not be able to locate the lock button. I have refreshed several times please help. its hard to contact microsoft support live chat.help...
  10. How to lock my stolen laptop if i cannot locate it on find my device

How to lock my stolen laptop if i cannot locate it on find my device: My laptop was stolen i can see the location on the map but i can not be able to locate the lock button. I have refreshed several times please help. its hard to contact microsoft support live chat.help...