Windows 10: Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup

Discus and support Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded this laptop to windows 10 Education from win 7. I have a desktop PC running win 7 Pro. I had a Homegroup set up which was working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fr0zensphere, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup

Hi,

I upgraded this laptop to windows 10 Education from win 7. I have a desktop PC running win 7 Pro. I had a Homegroup set up which was working fine and I could send files back and forth. After the upgrade I simply joined the Homegroup again by typing in the Homegroup password. On the surface things seem to work, but I am currently "locked" out of my Users folder and apparently everything in it. That is, \\<my pc name>\Users. It's the very first folder you see when you go to Network -> double click my computer icon. I am unable to create a new folder within Users, and I am unable to cut anything out of it. So I sent a folder from my desktop PC to my laptop, but now I can't cut -> paste that folder anywhere on my laptop because I don't have permission. I tried to change ownership of the Users folder. Right now it says the owner is "SYSTEM" (whatever that means). I tried to set it to Administrators, and got an error "Unable to set new owner on Users. Access is denied."

Now what? This is infuriatingly stupid. What did Microsoft think was even the point of having Homegroups if I can't cut my files out of the folder and place it where I want it?

:)

fr0zensphere, Oct 2, 2016

2. Camera Error, ASUS Laptop

If using the Troubleshooter didn't work, have you recently joined or created a Homegroup? I did, and promptly got locked out of all of my main folders until I shared them with the Homegroup.

CritterFeeder, Oct 2, 2016
  3. BobbyBoyd Win User
    Locked out of my own PC.

That would be good if the old hard drive that I am using to boot with was up to date. Data for the last 6 months is not on this drive. It is on the SATA drive. I was not wanting to lost that if I don't have to.

BobbyBoyd, Oct 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup

If you can access it through normal network sharing, then delete the homegroup. Homegroup shares off of the Library's, which are nothing more than a shortcut to those folders under them. Home Group has been a headache since the day Microsoft try to push it as a wonderful way of dummy proofing file and printer sharing, but it has never worked in real life.

bro67, Oct 2, 2016
  5. Sorry about the really late reply.

1. Just to double check, you're saying to delete the homegroup and make a new one?

2. Would it make any difference which computer I use to make the new one, my Win7 machine or the Win10 machine?

Thanks!

fr0zensphere, Oct 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Just try to delete and do not use it. It will just cause headaches. If you are running third party Internet Security software, make sure it sees your LAN as a Private LAN, along with right clicking on the network icon and open Network preferences to see if the LAN adapter is set for Private in Windows. Also the firewall can also cause Homegroup to not work.

bro67, Oct 26, 2016
  7. Eh but I need to share files between my laptop and desktop, so I gotta have some kind of network/LAN solution set up... What's the alternative to having a Homegroup? Sorry if that's a dumb question lol.

Thanks!

fr0zensphere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup

1. Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup - Similar Threads - Locked own Users

2. Locked out of my own account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of my own account: URGENT HELP PLEASE! I'm locked out of my account I was an administrator in my own laptop that I use now I hv the same account which no longer is administrator account please help me I really need my account back with administrator so I can get to use my computer...
  3. Locked out of my own account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of my own account: URGENT HELP PLEASE! I'm locked out of my account I was an administrator in my own laptop that I use now I hv the same account which no longer is administrator account please help me I really need my account back with administrator so I can get to use my computer...
  4. Locked out of my own computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of my own computer: Over the weekend I upgraded the CPU in my computer Dell Aurora R10 AMD 5800X3D Little did I know that my login PIN was ties to keys in the CPUs TPM module.When I started up the computer it asked me if I wanted to reset the fTPM, I said yes. When it booted up and on login...
  5. Locked out of my own computer

Locked out of my own computer: Over the weekend I upgraded the CPU in my computer Dell Aurora R10 AMD 5800X3D Little did I know that my login PIN was ties to keys in the CPUs TPM module.When I started up the computer it asked me if I wanted to reset the fTPM, I said yes. When it booted up and on login...
  6. Locked out of my own computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of my own computer: This is a very bad situation. 3 days ago I changed my four digit PIN that Windows requires for me to log in to my user account. But then yesterday I had to reset the computer to a restore point two days before I changed my login pin.When the restore process was finished I was...
  7. Locked out of my own computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of my own computer: This is a very bad situation. 3 days ago I changed my four digit PIN that Windows requires for me to log in to my user account. But then yesterday I had to reset the computer to a restore point two days before I changed my login pin.When the restore process was finished I was...
  8. Locked out of my own computer

9. I locked myself out of my own folder

in Windows 10 Support
    I locked myself out of my own folder: I was experimenting with security options on a single file to try and take permission from anyone to delete/modify it. Settings i was playing with are located in (Right Click)>Properties>Security>Advanced. I clicked "Disable inheritance", and proceeded to change "Access"-es...
  10. Locked out of my own laptop!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Locked out of my own laptop!: I've restarted my Windows 10 with safe mode on and I cannot log in after the restart. It doesn't accept my password, I cannot get internet connection and I cannot use my password. Nothing works!...