Windows 10: Locked out of new install

Discus and support Locked out of new install in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I did an upgrade from W7 yesterday. Put the computer to sleep overnight. This morning it wants some password. I have no idea what it wants as I did not... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bobland, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bobland Win User

Locked out of new install

I did an upgrade from W7 yesterday. Put the computer to sleep overnight. This morning it wants some password. I have no idea what it wants as I did not explicitly set one. How do I get into the system? Do I have to reinstall W7 then do an upgrade again? I never set any passwords on W7 as all of my passwords are in Keepass.

Any help appreciated. (I'm on my wife's computer)

:)

bobland, Oct 28, 2015

2. Locked out of new laptop with new, inaccessible Microsoft account

Hi, Xircal

Thanks for the link. I've gone through the tutorial and unless I'm missing something, one needs to be logged in -- as an administrator, at that -- to add or remove an account.

Problem is I can't get past the login screen -- that's kinda the point. Otherwise the solution would have been great, I'm sure.

ML

mlrousseau, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Locked out of new laptop with new, inaccessible Microsoft account

Ok, slightly mollified: It's in the dead of the US night, but a kind moderator seems to have fixed the category of this post already, within minutes of posting. Thanks.

(Now awaiting that clear, helpful reply ...)

mlrousseau, Oct 28, 2015
  4. bobland Win User

SOLVED
    I ended up at a MS site that asked if I forgot my password. In a few steps, it got set and now I'm back in. Obviously, I need to learn a lot more about W10.

bobland, Oct 28, 2015
  5. larry Win User
    Microsoft account is a new sign-in option introduced since Windows 8. It might be something new to you.
    Hang out in this forum and you'll learn more about Windows 10.

larry, Oct 28, 2015
  6. bobland Win User
    I don't like passwords and avoid them whenever possible. I didn't know my account would be locked. Fortunately, it was an easy fix, tho not an easy to find fix.

bobland, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Locked out of new install - Similar Threads - Locked install

2. After Installing new Intel graphics drivers windows starts with a black screen locked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Installing new Intel graphics drivers windows starts with a black screen locked.: Hitman 3 Wasnt launching and it seemed like the solution was to download thia driver. Well after restarting my pc just goes to a black screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-new-intel-graphics-drivers/ce30e79d-2e77-41ac-83e4-691deda2632c
  3. After Installing new Intel graphics drivers windows starts with a black screen locked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Installing new Intel graphics drivers windows starts with a black screen locked.: Hitman 3 Wasnt launching and it seemed like the solution was to download thia driver. Well after restarting my pc just goes to a black screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-new-intel-graphics-drivers/ce30e79d-2e77-41ac-83e4-691deda2632c
  4. I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install...: I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install ultraviewer, is it a scam? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-message-that-my-computer-was-locked-up-and/3e0e03af-b00c-4a51-abcc-076948ed4fb4
  5. I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install...

I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install...: I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install ultraviewer, is it a scam? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-message-that-my-computer-was-locked-up-and/3e0e03af-b00c-4a51-abcc-076948ed4fb4
  6. I got message that my computer was locked up and the support number wanted me to install...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my...: Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my drive D while I have not enable bitlocker and I don't have recovery key because I have not enable it or use it it just locked my drive by it self and I need to unlock that drive is...
  8. Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my...

Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my...: Am on windows insider canary build 26040 after i do clean installation bitlocker locked my drive D while I have not enable bitlocker and I don't have recovery key because I have not enable it or use it it just locked my drive by it self and I need to unlock that drive is...
  9. How do I complete Windows re-installation from USB that locks up after restart?

How do I complete Windows re-installation from USB that locks up after restart?: I have a laptop computer that was running Windows 11 upgraded a couple of years ago from 10. For unknown reasons, Windows stopped working, the computer would not boot up. Repair/Restore/Reset- none worked. I created a Windows 10 reinstall USB drive and looked up my BitLocker...
  10. How do I complete Windows re-installation from USB that locks up after restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I complete Windows re-installation from USB that locks up after restart?: I have a laptop computer that was running Windows 11 upgraded a couple of years ago from 10. For unknown reasons, Windows stopped working, the computer would not boot up. Repair/Restore/Reset- none worked. I created a Windows 10 reinstall USB drive and looked up my BitLocker...